Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<snip>
The state, the least populous in the U.S., ranks second in overall energy production; first in coal production; fourth in natural gas; and eighth in crude oil. And its Republican-controlled legislature seems determined to keep its unholy trinity of fossil fuels on top.

Last week, state legislators, several of whom deny the existence human-caused climate change, filed a measure that would effectively outlaw renewable energy by preventing Wyoming utilities from selling electricity generated by wind or solar farms.

Currently, about 90 percent of the electricity provided to the half-million residents of Wyoming comes from coal. The leftover electricity Wyoming generates is sold to the rest of the country. Selling Wyoming-made solar and wind energy to other states would remain legal even if this bill were passed. It’s the right of the utilities to sell solar and wind to residents of Wyoming that would be restricted.

Under this proposal, if a utility provided energy produced by a large-scale wind or solar plant to Wyoming residents, it would be fined $10 per megawatt sold. Only energy from coal, natural gas, nuclear, hydroelectric, oil and small-scale, privately-owned solar panels and wind turbines could be sold without repercussions.
<snip>
Full article at:
Wyoming is basically trying to outlaw clean energy

As I said we need a transversal party consisting of both Republicans and Democrats having same ideas on the Climate Change/Global Warming issue. Hope that President Trump, who seems a very open minded person (he engaged Elon in his staff), will help in this purpose.
The Climate Change/Global Warming issue is an important matter that needs shared views among the most important political Parties in the USA. So Wyoming will behave as all other States in the USA.

The following has nothing - as you all are well aware - to do with climate change but rather than start a new "GollyGee" thread, I thought I'd post here.

It's been a long time but, right now, it's

-51ºF at home. -46ºC.

Brrrrrbddddbrrrr!!!!!

Or, as Borealis just said, "Comfy!"

Reactions: jbcarioca
The following has nothing - as you all are well aware - to do with climate change but rather than start a new "GollyGee" thread, I thought I'd post here.

It's been a long time but, right now, it's

-51ºF at home. -46ºC.

Brrrrrbddddbrrrr!!!!!

Or, as Borealis just said, "Comfy!"
Come visit me.

It is now 35ºC at home. 95ºF.
The pool is very comfortable,
everything is ready, but remember we do not use A/C in my house.
FWIW, Tesla range here will be really good!

Damn Chinese and their hoaxes.

I know. Bloomberg claims "it's not a hoax," but obviously they are just fronting for the Chinese. "Diligently kept scientific records," blah, blah, blah.

"It’s not a hoax. There’s no conspiracy. And no exaggeration. What follows are 137 years of diligently kept scientific records that show how humans are transforming Earth’s climate."​

Trump nominee Pruitt: Climate change debatable, but EPA has 'obligation' to regulate carbon

I'm getting really tired of people in major roles saying climate change is still "debatable".

1) It shows how little they know and have researched

2) It keeps humanity from moving forward

Again, there are a ton of papers that have been found on this subject from this site Smoke & Fumes that gives dates and outlines what was happening with the research from the oil companies....

1957 -

In its quest for ever more accurate "clocks" to measure the age of ancient (and potentially oil-bearing) sediments, the oil industry was quick to exploit the highly precise "carbon clock" created by radiocarbon dating with carbon-14. This paper, published by the Humble Oil Production Research Division (now ExxonMobil), catalogs a list of carbon dating samples. All living organisms have a certain percentage of radioactive carbon that decays over time, and measuring the ratio of radioactive to stable carbon is used to date fossils, soil samples, and more. Because fossil fuels are made from ancient organic material, it contains a very small amount of radioactive carbon. Burning fossil fuels "dilutes" the radioactive carbon in the atmosphere, and measuring that dilution is one way to measure how much of atmospheric carbon dioxide is from fossil sources. The "dilution" of carbon-14 naturally occuring in the atmosphere by depleted carbon-12 from fossil fuels—termed the "Suess effect" for its discoverer Hans Suess—made it possible, for the first time, to measure with precision the contribution of fossil fuels to atmospheric CO2.

So will Obama extend/renew the Federal tax credit for electric cars before leaving office?

You think congress is going to give him a freebie to pass anything that he wants on his last day even if they don't agree with him??

If they do, there are a few other things he should pass first...

Heck, for that matter - even if he sends a bill to Congress today to lower corporate taxes to 1%, double the military, send anybody who even reads a book about global warming to Guantanamo Bay, stop all welfare immediately and send that money directly to oil company executives, Congress would still block it - because they wouldn't want to give him any credit.

Last edited:
China halts over 100 coal power plants:
In latest move, China halts over 100 coal power projects
The move follows similar initiatives last year and comes after the government said in November it would eliminate or delay at least 150 GW of coal-fired power projects between 2016 and 2020 and cap coal power generation at 1,100 GW.
Also, 130 GW of additional solar and wind power will be installed by 2020,

To summarize:

1. US invents practical PV;
  2. Republicans block the nurturing of a domestic PV industry because it conflicts with vested fossil fuel interests and AGW denial.
  3. The Chinese government nurtures a domestic industry that then leads to yet another economic powerhouse industry and the means to combat AGW
  4. Republicans conclude that AGW is a Chinese hoax (using a conspiracy of liberal scientists.)

Last edited: