Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is only misinformation given for political reasons. It doesn't matter if Global Warming is more or less serious. Global Warming IS taking place anyway and is not the only consequence of CO2 pollution.
Think to the Ocean Acidification issue and to the damages that is making to the Coral Reef which is so important for the life in the Oceans.
This article makes me think that an Authority (in the USA or better at global level) punishing misinformation (expecially for poiltical reasons which is really bad) should take place as soon as possible.

Back in the days when China ran almost all their grid off coal, the American fossil fuel lackeys pointed to China as the excuse why America should stay on fossil fuels -- (the "but THEY are doing it too" argument.)

Now that China IS doing something about their fossil fuel grid, the lackeys have turned around 180 degrees and blame China for embracing clean energy as a plot to harm the American economy.

Sigh. It is enough to depress any rational person.

• Informative
Reactions: AndreN
Back in the days when China ran almost all their grid off coal, the American fossil fuel lackeys pointed to China as the excuse why America should stay on fossil fuels -- (the "but THEY are doing it too" argument.)

Now that China IS doing something about their fossil fuel grid, the lackeys have turned around 180 degrees and blame China for embracing clean energy as a plot to harm the American economy.

Sigh. It is enough to depress any rational person.
But we're going to reopen some coal mines. For the future.

Here's a little perspective on the Daily Mail

Mail on Sunday launches the first salvo in the latest war against climate scientists

Mail on Sunday launches the first salvo in the latest war against climate scientists | John Abraham
Oh, the article that guy posted was by David Rose? This guy has been doing this for over a decade, and has been wrong every time. He's debunked every time he has an article in the same paper, and people still keep falling for his shtick.

David Rose is a British journalist who by his own admission served as a conduit for intelligence disinformation[1] on both sides of the Atlantic. Three of his stories, based on alarmist testimony from INC defectors and asserting an Iraq-al-Qaida link, played a key role in selling the Iraq war.

Rose has also repeatedly written articles misquoting scientists on climate change.[2],[3],[4]
Full article at:
David Rose - SourceWatch

If you're interested in how misinformation makes its way into the public dialogue on important issues like war in the Middle East or climate change, then you should get to know David Rose, a “special investigations writer” for the UK's ultra-conservative Mail on Sunday tabloid.

Rose is making headlines this week for all the wrong reasons. But his path to this latest controvery started many years ago.

A 2010 article by Guardian columnist George Monbiot sums up the history of Rose's many errors, where the “special investigations writer” first gets it wrong on the existence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and goes on to get it wrong on the consensus of the science on climate change. As Monbiot tells us, in Rose's previous stint at the Observer, Rose wrote:

“… uncritically the claims made by Ahmed Chalabi and the Iraqi National Congress about Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction in the run-up to the second invasion of Iraq.”

We all know the outcome of that fiasco. Over $1 trillion spent, thousands of lives lost, all based on an attempt to create a reality that just simply wasn't so. Rose wasn't the only journalist to get it wrong on the false claims of WMD, but you would think that after such a thing, with such devastating consequences, he might gain better skills in critical thinking.

In the same 2010 article, Monbiot shows how Rose went from getting it wrong on WMD, to getting it wrong on the state of climate science. As Monbiot's title says it most simply:

“David Rose's climate science writing shows he has not learned from previous mistakes.”

Monbiot points to an article Rose wrote at the time asking and answering his own question with the headline: “What happened to the 'warmest year on record': The truth is global warming has halted.” There were so many errors about the science of climate change that Monbiot's rebuttal goes on for many, many pages.

<snip>
Full article at:
David Rose's Misinformation Legacy from WMD to Climate Change

Climate misinformer: David Rose

Some debunking of his previous articles:
EXCLUSIVE: UN scientist refutes Daily Mail claim he said Himalayan glacier error was politically motivated

Ten Charts That Make Clear The Planet Just Keeps Warming

Some debunking of the latest article:
Expose: David Rose does not understand baselines

No, U.S. climate scientists didn't trick the world into adopting the Paris deal

Climate Scientists Dismiss Mail on Sunday’s ‘Revelations’ About Global Warming Pause Research

Climategate 2 Falls at the First Hurdle? | The Great White Con

And now the House GOP has picked up the nonsense.
The House Science Committee claims scientists faked climate change data—here’s what you should know

Last edited:
Bates (and Judith Curry) are also backpedaling off of the manipulated data claims very rapidly as the attention gets stronger. This should be interesting, eh, @hockeythug?

Life really boils down to this or that, left or right, up or down, true or false. Science is finding in early stages that we are born prone to view the world as simply this way or that way. So how do your view the world ~ this way or that? No matter what my point of view, you will never and I mean never view the world my way regardless of how kind or evil I am to you ~ never.

I was raised in the Presbyterian church, while in high school we lived in a predominately Catholic church community. My girlfriend took me with her to visit a neighbor woman, a wife with three kids, that was being beaten repeatedly and raped by her husband she was attempting to divorce. They did not live together. Not one minister, priest or police officer ever stepped in to stop her predator husband because the bible said she was his property. At or about the same time I was walking with my girlfriend and a scout friend across a Catholic playground. My scout friend and I were both Eagle Scouts, in fact we were founders of what you may know by what is now called the National Eagle Scout Association. Sorry, I digress. Jim's priest later told him that I was a bad influence since I was holding hands with my girlfriend on church property.

Two years later, having graduated from high school, the Christian Education Committee asked me and a fellow female graduate to tell them what we wanted in a college age group. A very stupid question to ask me what I thought.;) I said I wanted to be able to ask questions and discuss current topics without fear of reprisal. I gave them examples: the Vietnam War (1968), sex, AND I wanted to ask and discuss if Jesus actually died on the cross. Most of you were still waiting for your balls to drop in the sack at eighteen. Again I digress. A woman as old as I am now began to shake, leaned forward and pointed her knitting needle at me ~ she would like to have killed me. Oh well, I got the group I wanted. Before enlisting in the army six months later to become a combat engineer, I took the group to see the play "Hair." While going though basic a Chaplain asked me to become an assistant and there I spent my three years ultimately serving a Methodist, two Catholic priests, two Southern Baptists, and one Jewish rabbi. I was on a roll, waiting for a message from god to push me over the edge to become a minister myself.

When I was discharged I went back to the home church and proclaimed my desire to become a minister. The Methodist Chaplain in the army had put me in charge of not only organizing a Squadron garrison Protestant Service, but had me give the sermon as well while he and his family went on vacation before he was transferred to Vietnam. I did and the topic was love, about two weeks later there was a big music fest called Woodstock ~ heard of it? That service and sermon should have been done by the Regimental Chaplain and not an E-4 assistant. Bottom line: the home church minister said that I needed to work at learning to read and write better before getting my hopes up. After all I had only begun to read and write in the seventh grade. Which put me significantly behind the eight ball of life:(

Well, to make this story a little bit shorter, I completed college as an Industrial Arts teacher with a focus in drafting, wood and graphic arts. Rejoined the army, went though officer candidate school and never looked back. My wife had been married almost a year two years before I met and married her. Because she had married a catholic and he turned out to be almost like the guy above that beat his wife she went ballistic and pulled the Nuc option leaving the former husband and church looking like crispy critters. We have been married for over 43 years. I told her in the very beginning that if she was not happy in our marriage, she was free to walk away. True leadership is being able to bring people along with you without fear.:D

Do not worry the Baptists stepped on their nose too. But I'll save you that story.

Part of your being on the opposite side of the fence from me is because you do not like the fact that I can and do ask questions that mean you have to tell me about yourself. After losing that first girlfriend mentioned above, I internally questioned myself as to what went wrong ~ what junior in high school does that?:p Oh, some thirty years later we met again at my nephews wedding and she proceeded to tell my wife and I that "she had dumped me." Apparently she had issues. Me, I am kind of like the glass half full person; if she had not dumped me I would not be married to the woman of my souls desire.

If you think for a minute you will change someone's view or perspective you will not; regardless of kindness or meanness. Ask yourself why in race riots they always burn, loot and kill themselves. It is because if they did not stay within the perceived circle of themselves; the police force would open fire and end the event on the border and not one white church will stand up and stop it.

If you are lied to long enough you will eventually believe the lie making it your own truth. An OpEd writer for the times recently told how President Ronald had had such a sunny view of the world and how he did all these great and wonderful things. However, he did not mention that under Ronald we became a nation of homeless, Social Security monies were taxed for the first time since it was established, the income tax system was gutted creating a overwhelming revenue problem. See there is that this or that thing again ~ Revenue or Deficit problem. If you hear the lie over and over again it becomes your truth.

Personally I do not give a gD if climate change or warming is true or false. What I give a damn about is leaving this place (Mother Earth) better than when I leave it. Therefore, I helped bring Soccer into your world, I helped bring NESA into your world, I took the first MLRS battery to Europe, I offered my hand to my wife without causing her fear, I had two First Sergeants (one in each of my two batter commands) both black ~ one was exactly like most Captains dream of and the other the worst, but I made due. My list goes on for ever, and ever; but I own stock in Tesla since 2013 and I am saving my nickles and dimes to be able to buy a MX this year. I know enough to know that climate change is real and instead of being a denier I am doing something about it.

Speaking of deniers, two of my ancestors started the King Phillips War by murdering a native american. How they could tell the difference between a Christian and NonChristian Native American is beyond me; but then there is that my team vs your team thing again.

Personally I hope mankind kills himself off; problem is that his actions will kill off most all the animals, birds, fish and all the rest of what makes up our world:(

One last comment, we have reduced the gay issue which is great, but the brain is fixed between what is left or right. You either live and let live or you hate gays. For what? For just being themselves? Hate is an addiction from where I sit.

As an old soldier I find it hard to just fade away.;)

The MX is within sight:)

Wow - it's been a long time since I garnered a "Disagree"? Hey there, James Anders: do you care to let the world know why my showing what was in the Daily Mail made you want to so cast a vote there, O Silent One?

• Disagree
Reactions: hockeythug

I hear you, and I totally agree that 1/2 of the media jump at the chance to discredit the climate change movement. However, the actions of NOAA in this case are pretty damning. It's not that hard to understand why people no longer trust the conclusions of NOAA, EPA, etc.

When scientists can't supply their data for peer review (convenient computer crash) and refuse to comply with congressional subpoenas, they aren't practicing science. IMO, those that work to 'build a case' that climate change demands action have no one to blame for their diminished credibility but themselves.

Former NOAA Scientist Confirms Colleagues Manipulated Climate Records

• Disagree
Reactions: RichardC
I hear you, and I totally agree that 1/2 of the media jump at the chance to discredit the climate change movement. However, the actions of NOAA in this case are pretty damning. It's not that hard to understand why people no longer trust the conclusions of NOAA, EPA, etc.

When scientists can't supply their data for peer review (convenient computer crash) and refuse to comply with congressional subpoenas, they aren't practicing science. IMO, those that work to 'build a case' that climate change demands action have no one to blame for their diminished credibility but themselves.

Former NOAA Scientist Confirms Colleagues Manipulated Climate Records
Already debunked, as I noted in my previous post.

Reactions: RichardC
Wikipedia editors have voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website in all but exceptional circumstances after deeming the news group “generally unreliable”.

The move is highly unusual for the online encyclopaedia, which rarely puts in place a blanket ban on publications and which still allows links to sources such as Kremlin backed news organisation Russia Today, and Fox News, both of which have raised concern among editors.

The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

<snip>
Full article at:
Wikipedia bans Daily Mail as 'unreliable' source

Already debunked, as I noted in my previous post.

Of course daily mail is garbage. That's what happens in the right wing media anytime they see something they can run with. Everyone ignores them.

But, the scientist making the original accusation is not garbage. NOAA refusing to supply the requested data and testimony explaining the strong desire to build the most concerning prediction possible are facts that are now in the record.

It's unprofessional and also self-defeating behavior...and it provides sufficient ammunition to the deniers that reverses a ton of hard work by REAL scientists.

Carl Sagan started this poor strategy and until someone steps up and calls it out, the community is going to be largely ignored.

The Atomic Origins of Climate Science

Of course daily mail is garbage. That's what happens in the right wing media anytime they see something they can run with. Everyone ignores them.

But, the scientist making the original accusation is not garbage. NOAA refusing to supply the requested data and testimony explaining the strong desire to build the most concerning prediction possible are facts that are now in the record.

It's unprofessional and also self-defeating behavior...and it provides sufficient ammunition to the deniers that reverses a ton of hard work by REAL scientists.

Carl Sagan started this poor strategy and until someone steps up and calls it out, the community is going to be largely ignored.

The Atomic Origins of Climate Science
The original charge is garbage

The scientific community is outraged, and response has been swift. Zeke Hausfather, climate scientist and energy systems analyst at Berkeley Earth, who worked on providing independent verification of the data Rose attacks, writes at CarbonBrief:

What [Rose] fails to mention is that the new NOAA results have been validated by independent data from satellites, buoys and Argo floats and that many other independent groups, including Berkeley Earth and the UK’s Met Office Hadley Centre, get effectively the same results.

... Rose’s claim that NOAA’s results “can never be verified” is patently incorrect, as we just published a paper independently verifying the most important part of NOAA’s results.

...Rose’s article presents a deeply misleading graph where he shows an arbitrary offset between NOAA’s data and the Hadley land/ocean dataset. This is an artifact of the use of different baselines...This comparison ends up being spurious, because each record uses a different baseline period to define their temperature anomaly.

Peter Thorne, climate scientist for the Irish Climate Analysis and Research Units, writes:

I have been involved in and am a co-author upon all relevant underlying papers to Karl et al., 2015.

The 'whistle blower' is John Bates who was not involved in any aspect of the work… John Bates never participated in any of the numerous technical meetings on the land or marine data I have participated in at NOAA NCEI either in person or remotely. This shows in his reputed (I am taking the journalist at their word that these are directly attributable quotes) mis-representation of the processes that actually occured. In some cases these mis-representations are publically verifiable.