Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not care that it takes longer to charge my Tesla's than fill my F-150, I hate going to the gas station and supporting the petroleum companies. If Tesla made an affordable pick-up I would have it, at some point I thought of just getting a dump trailer but that is a pain to deal with. I drive about 2000 miles a year in the Ford, so not a lot of gas and pollution but still hate going to the gas station. I to was in the gas shortage in the early 70's commuting to college and working full time, had to carry a gas can to deal with the every other day thing and long lines at the pump. Cannot wait for the adoption of affordable all electric cars, I have friends that are retired and still want to drive to LA without stopping. Don't you have to eat or go to the bathroom? I still work on them to go electric, none of them are car freaks like me but maybe someday they will figure it out.
Hey-hey there Merrill - you cant use the term "arrest me red"...that's MY term for that gorgeous color. You must have heard me use that term and stole it from me!!!

Hey-hey there Merrill - you cant use the term "arrest me red"...that's MY term for that gorgeous color. You must have heard me use that term and stole it from me!!!
Well did not mean to steal it from you, I have had it for 4 years and I do live in California. Going back to the commuting to college I was driving a Carmen Red 1967 XKE and was pulled over for going 60 in a 55, the CHP officer was fascinated by my super clean and shiny chrome wire wheels and proceeded to ask me how I cleaned them. Thought after I gave my procedure he would just give me a warning, but gave me a ticket anyway.

Well did not mean to steal it from you, I have had it for 4 years and I do live in California. Going back to the commuting to college I was driving a Carmen Red 1967 XKE and was pulled over for going 60 in a 55, the CHP officer was fascinated by my super clean and shiny chrome wire wheels and proceeded to ask me how I cleaned them. Thought after I gave my procedure he would just give me a warning, but gave me a ticket anyway.
Perhaps my using that terminology - caused me to rethink what color I should buy. I WANTED arrest- me- red - but having a car that is this quick, and stands out like it does just by being pretty and unusual - I concluded the red would cause me more problems. I made a choice to get Titanium (I love this obsolete color) and drool over the Sig Red...but still cant resolve what my Model 3 color will be.

Toast anyone? As Climate Changes, Southern States Will Suffer More Than Others

While my wife and I will be gone by 2080, our grandchildren and their children will be around and I am not 100% sure I want them having to deal with this ~ not with this political climate.

I am expecting technology, like Tesla to shift, or delay the outcome, but it will be less than satisfactory to all.

ExxonMobil Talks A Good Game, But It’s Still Funding Climate Science Deniers | HuffPost

Most of ExxonMobil’s spending on denier groups last year — 87 percent — went to four organizations: the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, American Enterprise Institute, Manhattan Institute and American Legislative Exchange Council.

Half of the nearly $1.45 million it spent on candidates in the 2016 election cycle, for example, went to 81 climate science deniers in the House and 24 in the Senate. And 18 of the 22 senators who sent a letter to President Trump urging him to abandon the Paris agreement collectively received $371,000 in campaign contributions from ExxonMobil between 2011 and 2016.

Interesting, but it's just the pregame show that no one who lacks scientific curiosity cares about.

The one we are waiting for that will finally turn some heads is when a land-based glacier breaks up. Bonus points if it does so violently, causes a tsunami, and/or raises ocean levels by an easily measurable margin. While enormous in size, the new Larson C Megaburg will do none of those things and it can't be conclusively linked to climate change. A subtle warning from Mother Nature perhaps, be we all know how seriously people listen to the subtle warnings.

Here is a lengthy article laying out what is behind door number 3 :confused: When Will the Planet Be Too Hot for Humans? Much, Much Sooner Than You Imagine.

I will continue my path of being and doing the best I can with what I have to offer; my little footprint.

It's good to point out there are many possible risks that go way beyond just higher temperatures and higher sea levels. We don't even know what all of the risks actually are.

I'll be investing as much as I can over the next years in solar energy (maybe wind too). Starting with rooftop solar for my own house, and will be looking at community solar project investments after that. And of course, I'll keep buying Tesla when I can. :)

> looking at community solar project investments

How do you even find these to get involved?

Depending on how adventurous you are... I've found a lot of satisfaction by investing directly in Solar projects for friends or family that don't have the 'disposable' income of purchase a system themselves. The return is typically a bit higher but you do need more patience.

> looking at community solar project investments

How do you even find these to get involved?
I live in California and own some residential income property. I just discovered an opportunity to put solar on the roof of my buildings and allocate a portion of that production to my tenant accounts. This is known as Virtual NEM and I found out about it from talking to a local solar installer who I regularly visit to stay on top of industry trends. I also heard about Community Solar from one of those visits. This board has been an extremely helpful resource and I have learned much about alternate energy, industry and local trends.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
How do you analyze the offer ?
All I found, e.g for the NJ project, is an estimated $1 a month return for a $100 investment

Well, first off, note that I'm not too concerned about the finances. For me, I'm just looking to invest or donate to projects that help advance solar. The fact that it had a return that gets credited to your utility account was just a bonus for me.

My main concern is mostly about intent. Do the people behind the program really want to advance solar, and that is why they are doing it? Or do they not really care, other than to find a way to leverage money from people? That can be hard to determine. I was encouraged by Arcadia's link with Sierra Club as a partner. I even tried to contact Sierra Club to ask them about their partnership with Arcadia, but so far have not received a reply. I'm not totally sold on Arcadia yet. I like how the program is structured, but I'm still not confident they have the benevolent intent I'm looking for.

BTW, they recently changed their offering. It used to only be $300 increments, which is consistent with one solar panel. I guess they decided to break it into smaller chunks to make it more accessible. I assume that means you sort of share panels (conceptually).

Well, first off, note that I'm not too concerned about the finances. For me, I'm just looking to invest or donate to projects that help advance solar. The fact that it had a return that gets credited to your utility account was just a bonus for me.

My main concern is mostly about intent. Do the people behind the program really want to advance solar, and that is why they are doing it? Or do they not really care, other than to find a way to leverage money from people? That can be hard to determine. I was encouraged by Arcadia's link with Sierra Club as a partner. I even tried to contact Sierra Club to ask them about their partnership with Arcadia, but so far have not received a reply. I'm not totally sold on Arcadia yet. I like how the program is structured, but I'm still not confident they have the benevolent intent I'm looking for.

BTW, they recently changed their offering. It used to only be $300 increments, which is consistent with one solar panel. I guess they decided to break it into smaller chunks to make it more accessible. I assume that means you sort of share panels (conceptually).
I agree with you on all counts. I emailed them to ask how many watts the $100 buys. I'll pass on any info received.

Addendum: Acadia replied with a long canned marketing message that said nothing. I'm not impressed

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo