Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't work. Yes, hurricanes like Harvey might be more intense due to climate change. But bringing climate change up in a time like this is entirely ineffective. Doesn't matter if it's true. It just gets flat out rejected by those who need to be convinced of the risks of what we are doing to the atmosphere. Good example: Tom Nichols. Here's a guy who wrote the book "The Death of Expertise" (and it doesn't sell the death of expertise as a good thing), and even he has an almost instinctual backlash against someone who wants to bring up climate change at the time of a hurricane or other extreme weather event.

If you want a weather event to be a kick off for talking about climate change, it needs to be something new and unexpected and impactful. A giant land based glacier suddenly dissolves off of Greenland raising sea levels by a significant margin or causing a giant tsunami. Mass death of some portion of the ocean due to acidity exceeding some threshold. A 130F degree week in Kansas. One of those "crossing a turning point" moments we haven't quite had yet. That's the one you want. That's the one that will get traction. But Harvey? That will just send the deniers off further entrenched in denial.
While I understand your viewpoint, I think this is more about the the small things adding up to a sum total. The quote says it all. We have been posting on here for years, this is happening, that is happening.....it's time for everyone else to take notice when these events occur in real time.

Should the gov't let people rebuild in Houston? Knowing what most of us and the scientists know, no, most coastal cities will be gone by the end of the century if we continue living they way we do.

There are good engineers and city planners that COULD form city codes that put houses higher, levies higher and flood control dams more solid. Insurance companies could even influence the codes. But I'm skeptical that the Texas legislators would allow such design to be approved because of the denier philosophy - "costs too much, and we want Growth and paving more percolation soils."

We could design our way away from property loss and lives lost. But I have no confidence in the political will to adopt more expensive codes. I fear we will see a repeat of this (avoidable) catastrophe.

I find a perverse sense of poetic justice in the fact that the US city which has contributed the most to and profited greatly from climate change all the while building on wetlands and ignoring those pesky regulations which could have helped mitigate the effects of the storm is the target of this disaster.
However, I agree that they won't learn anything. They will beg for and receive massive government handouts to "rebuild" and go back to their polluting ways. Privatize the profits and socialize the losses.

Last edited:
There's more than enough blame to go around.... We need to restore wetlands AND curtail our absurd addiction to fools fuel.

On a related note... I'm very happy that Jon Stewart found a worthy successor. Trevor Noah is doing a great job.
I changed my rating to LOVE. That was an awesome, short interview! I want to start the phrase "battles into star parties". ****ing awesome.

There was so much in this little interview. One part that grabbed me and then I thought of this thread, When will we have a Basic Minimum Income?, was when they were talking about how it's a privilege to be able to contemplate the universe and its meaning. This automatically got me thinking about the idea that in the future when most of AI robots are doing human activities, we will have more time to think about the "arts", ergo one being the universe.

It almost seems as if most of society over the decades has lost this ability to think about such questions because they are so focused on daily life/profits/politics. If our new technology can free our minds, we might be able to save our species.......

Reactions: nwdiver
It is always a good time to talk about global warming/climate change ~ always! But then I sound like the chicken exclaiming that the sky is falling:)

I stood against the Russians during the cold war. Only to find a general willing to take money to shadow American votes; and a large number of citizens thinking it was cool. While those of us that served with honor in preventing a major war; others quietly opened the back door and let the Russians walk right in. Just because they changed their name from communism to democracy did not change the story of a wolf in sheep's clothing. No matter the political system/government it should be rated based on its corruption. Bottom Line: I was not a denier assuming the Russians would not attack us during the cold war, and thus shirking my responsibility as citizen.

If GW/CC was the only war in front of us we would win and kick it's a$$ back to Mars. But, but we as a nation and across the globe are morally and ethically corrupt, that includes religion or maybe especially religion. A year ago I would have thought we only had to worry about the deniers in a systematic way similar to letting the air out of a tired old balloon. You know, where religions and mega rich build bunkers to outlive the results of GW/CC. You know, where lawless gangs roam killing and stealing your food, destroying your shelter, and polluting your water. We have all seen the movies or read the books.

Today we have the devastation left behind by Harvey, and I am not talking about the actor lawyer in the TV show Suits. The land in Texas affected by the storm is on average fifty feet above sea level ~ right? People that can will leave, migrate (refugees) to areas not affected by the storm to other areas less affected by the storm, maybe has jobs available, and may or may not have affordable housing. This is the secondary impact of the storm and its devastating effects on the rest of us as a nation/world.

I wrote a macro story about some newly hatched mallard ducklings a while back and one reader objected to the stories lighthearted thinking. Well, thanks to the man made imbalances we have bass planted, like man's cats, and maybe a real predator, the hatchlings were reduced to one. The bass were introduced by four police officers because they wanted to get rid of the frogs that some other fools introduced to the lake; in doing so they broke the law. Even our previous owner introduced lily pads because the flower is so beautiful. It has taken us two years for us to eradicate the lily pads in our area, but lily pads are an obnoxious and proliferating plant/weed.

Our lake in the northwest is a spring feed lake. Only during rainy seasons does the lake level rise, at which time once it reaches a certain level there is a natural out flow that usually dries up by July and may not be used until November again. Who cares ~ right? This lake used to have about as pure a water as one could ever hope have enjoyed thirty years ago, before the introduction of bass, frogs and lillypads. But wait there is more:). There is a fire ban put into effect on or about the Fourth of July, so to avoid the ban, residents fire out over the lake. Each year the fireworks exceed anything you will ever have the opportunity to witness. I say that, because we enjoyed an army display in Heidelberg, Germany just before I retired which included a military band playing the overture of 1812 and cannons firing, so I speak from experience.

What's the problem you whine? Well, my wife and I get to clean up after our neighbors, by pulling out the firework debris that we find floating around below the surface. There is also a film over the lake for two or three days from gun powder and paper wrappings. I have an active duty air force officer next door that gets three or four large trash bags of fireworks free from his brother-in-law. He and his family fire it off and depart back to the duty station. A fireman across the lake has a weekend home across the lake and his family are still firing fireworks into the lake and it is late August. I am not sure how long the lake can hold up to the man made abuse of white trash.

The other day we chose a different route to Shelton. The number of firs and cedars dying due to heat related stress is becoming all too obvious and common; worse than the clearcuts (rapeing of forest homelands). More trees will be cut down to build homes for the migrating/refugee humans, water sources will be stressed more and eventually this area will die off and force humans elsewhere. Planners need to begin shifting to oaks instead of the firs and cedars.

As GW/CC becomes more obvious the Texas dirtbags (climate deniers) or was that carpet baggers will migrate north by northwest. Canada has already had massive forest die off up near Whistler in case you missed it. Maybe you missed the massive oil sands/forest fire a year or so back. We are already seeing people massively migrating from areas affected by excessive warming areas or hell on earth ~ what is our reaction ~ hate them. Ask all the refugees that the political party in power falsely claim are less than desireable. Yes, I can hear my frustration and anger at our political and religious leaders; but I will not fight fire with fire. Look at the article I provided recently that shows the southern states as bright red, not by political affiliation, but by temperature extremes. I know what it is like in 114 degree temperatures for a month; I learned first hand back in 1978 in Lawton, Oklahoma about the time Exxon began its assault on you. I was just lucky my second lieutenant bars did not melt, oh, they were cloth ~ sewn on:)

Rational thinking is all but gone. Denial is no different than the storm Harvey, flooding Mother Earth, and smothering her:-( When all is said and done, how long can you hold your breath? Mother Earth will take hundreds of thousands of years to recover if she recovers at all. She cannot bring back to life all the creatures large and small that have died already, otherwise we would be inundated with dinosaurs. There is NO arc, so stop living the lie.

Maybe an eye for an eye is in order for Ted Cruz? Since he failed to vote for storm relief for hurricane Sandy victims, maybe we should say NO pork for Texas due to their storm Harvey. If you want to be a denier, then pay the price and stop robbing my piggy bank. Oh, thats right, responsibility is for the other dumb village idiot. That piggy bank is for real Americans that care about each other, accept women, blacks, and gays as equals. That piggy bank is for real Americans that strive to make themselves better and embrace Mother Earth.

A friend of mine - specializing in City Planning for Houston - commented that
1) If laws were written that no one can build inside the 500 mile flood limit - that would cause massive amounts of Houston to be un-developable. In short, keep the plan to pave over all lands in the pursuit of profit.
2) this has become an 800 year storm - and now we can discuss what it means, statistically, to have a 100 year storm, a 500 year storm, and a 800 year storm - and how to build a city to honor mans need for housing - and natures need to flood lowlands.

I expect a return to business-as-usual. I agree that the industrial center of Houston has been damaging the planet and "deserves" to be flooded. But I can't see a way that things will improve before the next flood event. Please tell me I'm wrong. Please!!

The '800 year flood' stat was recorded in the pre-AGW era

I wonder what the likelihood is of Katrina and this event happening in a span of 15 years according to the last 1000 years of recorded local weather. The politicians will frame this catastrophe as something that could not be anticipated or planned for, but the scientists will know better.

This event reminded me of Haiti when the evangelicals came out of the woodwork to explain that the devastation was an angry god at work taking revenge on the people for poor behavior. What are they saying now about Houston and surrounding areas ?

The '800 year flood' stat was recorded in the pre-AGW era

I wonder what the likelihood is of Katrina and this event happening in a span of 15 years according to the last 1000 years of recorded local weather. The politicians will frame this catastrophe as something that could not be anticipated or planned for, but the scientists will know better.

This event reminded me of Haiti when the evangelicals came out of the woodwork to explain that the devastation was an angry god at work taking revenge on the people for poor behavior. What are they saying now about Houston and surrounding areas ?
Same answer? Texas is full of bad behavior - from politicians and evangelicals and hate groups - and DESERVE to be flooded. Its Gods plan!!
Oh - the words do come easy when one is being satirical. I can almost hear some folks chanting this with intent.

Any location that is potentially within a cyclone/hurricane has lets say, outlier conditions that 'foreigners' would find unacceptable, but locals shrug and move on.

I live in a city that gets flooded occasionally, a 100yr storm won't flood, but a 50yr storm will flood. A lot depends on how soaked the ground already is, what the tide is, etc.

The building styles should reflect the location.

upload_2017-9-7_13-24-27.png

Buried an 18 to 20" rainbow trout this afternoon:-( I was surprised the Ospreys or Eagles did not get it as it was dying grasping for air. I would have preferred to have caught it or maybe my grandson or daughter by hook, bate and patience. Best guess the lake, spring fed, roughly 30 feet at the deepest was too warm, too long and oxygen was low:-( It is hard to tell if the fire ash falling from Idaho fires aided in the trouts demise.

Just not a beautiful day here in the northwest:-(

The TV show "Last Ship" provides an interesting perspective/scenario of our demise here on Mother Earth. They could really mix things up by addressing climate change/global warming.