Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me that means they have never really lived in the real world.

So they live in an alternate universe, another dimension? Sorry but rich celebrity children live in the same world as the rest of us. However since they don't need to worry about day to day struggle they may use their free time to actually investigate some topics more deeply than "real people" have.
Every "reference" you've posted to this thread has already been thoroughly dis-proven and debunked. I'd suggest that anytime you think you have a supporting point you at least run it by Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined and see why you're likely to be wrong.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I'd suggest that anytime you think you have a supporting point you at least run it by Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined and see why you're likely to be wrong.
You will have better luck walking up to an ostrich with its head buried in the sand and politely suggesting that it instead look around and rationally consider the evidence.

You cannot reason with denial. The only thing that works is to heat up the beak.

Reactions: beeeerock
Interesting perspective on how too much CO2 in the air affects the plants we eat. I've read several articles on what is happening to our soil, but none that focused on this aspect of agriculture.

The great nutrient collapse
Interesting article. I've read earlier articles that have speculated about this also. However, it's a bit odd that there was zero mention about whether some of this effect might be due to the huge increase in direct fertilizer use and runoff during the last several decades. That seems like a rather obvious factor that you would want to evaluate and control for.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Interesting article. I've read earlier articles that have speculated about this also. However, it's a bit odd that there was zero mention about whether some of this effect might be due to the huge increase in direct fertilizer use and runoff during the last several decades. That seems like a rather obvious factor that you would want to evaluate and control for.
ooooh, I didn't even think about that, but that is a reasonable question. It would be great to read a study comparing these two different situations to see which one was more prevalent than the other....

That's just silly. Obviously you find a homeopath that tells you there's no such thing as cancer.

Hmmm, thats a very good point. Maybe we could fix the climate problem based on homeopathy:
Let's start burning gasoline with 200C dilution ! I should open a new gas-station chain selling that -- of course at a price point higher than gasoline, since it is medicine ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
Food for my small footprint theory. Deniers will come out of the woodwork, well maybe not with all the fires in California ~ wood is now in shortened supply. Actually wine is in shorter supply, resulting in less alcohol abuse, or driving up the beer consumption? Does charcoal qualify for coal?:rolleyes:

While denying the deniers, I am still moving farther and farther from the coal industry. I am, due to the life span of my roof installed by a buffoon/previous owner, having to decide/finance a Tesla solar roof or traditional roof & solar panels sooner than desired. Going further off the grid one might say.

Perspective | Trump says he ended the ‘war’ on coal companies. But it’s too late to save them.

Bantering with deniers back and forth will never prove fruitful on either side:( In the end if they are RIGHT denying their theory of "Not Man Made Mother Earth Decay" and we are WRONG believing the decay is "Man Made" ~ Bottom line, we both get to live another day. The inverse is also correct. If in the end people like me are correct and Earths Decay is "Man Made," well none of us will live to see another day. Granted, an extreme view, but that's cutting to the chase, is it not?:confused:

I sometimes wonder if climate deniers would visit their dentist when faced with liver cancer.

Funny you should mention dentist and deniers in the same sentence.:confused:

My old dental office was sold off to be incporated into another expanding outfit. I just had a visit to the new place and was introduced to the head tooth puller. For some unknown reason to me he went off on his personal rant denying this and that while I laid there in his chair with my mouth open while he poked and prodded away. Bottom line, I am now seeking a new dentist in Olympia as a part of my quest to fill my small foot print.

I guess that is a literal case of putting my money where my mouth is:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Back in the day, windshields at the end of the day were cluttered with bugs. A happy motorcyclist could be identified by the number of bugs on his teeth:) Our road trip the latter part of September yielded no such clusters of bugs in Washington, Oregon, or California. Only in reading this article did I remember bug splattered windshields of years gone by.

Cults believe they are smarter than the average bear. Probably, but I think if you compare their bear to the one hung on the wall or on the floor, you might want to check their street smarts. Our concern for the loss of big animals fails to understand the scope of our decline.

My wife was involved in initial talks to use I5, as an example, as a coordinator for monarch butterflies. Two years ago the director of transportation here in Washington was fired for political fun, with that persons loss, so goes Washington’s participation:-(

Do you remember when?
‘This is very alarming!’: Flying insects vanish from nature preserves

Back in the day, windshields at the end of the day were cluttered with bugs. A happy motorcyclist could be identified by the number of bugs on his teeth:) Our road trip the latter part of September yielded no such clusters of bugs in Washington, Oregon, or California. Only in reading this article did I remember bug splattered windshields of years gone by.
Maybe. On the other hand, in my experience the population of flying insects greatly declines by September after a long dry west coast summer. The number of flying bugs in the air is also highly sensitive to the time of day — drive at dawn and dusk and there will be a lot more bugs than if you drive mid-day or at night.

Also, improved vehicle aerodynamics.

This isn’t to deny that there may have been a large drop in insects over recent decades.

Cults believe they are smarter than the average bear. Probably, but I think if you compare their bear to the one hung on the wall or on the floor, you might want to check their street smarts. Our concern for the loss of big animals fails to understand the scope of our decline.

My wife was involved in initial talks to use I5, as an example, as a coordinator for monarch butterflies. Two years ago the director of transportation here in Washington was fired for political fun, with that persons loss, so goes Washington’s participation:-(

Do you remember when?
‘This is very alarming!’: Flying insects vanish from nature preserves
More perspective on this report.
Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate breakdown

Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate breakdown | George Monbiot

Maybe. On the other hand, in my experience the population of flying insects greatly declines by September after a long dry west coast summer. The number of flying bugs in the air is also highly sensitive to the time of day — drive at dawn and dusk and there will be a lot more bugs than if you drive mid-day or at night.

Also, improved vehicle aerodynamics.

This isn’t to deny that there may have been a large drop in insects over recent decades.

Thanks for trying to cheer me up, I did not get credit for even a grasshopper! Those used to be guaranteed on any trip, and almost any time of year. No grasshoppers on the windshield in California farm land. My sister married a Sacramento delta farmer:oops:

He swares by pesticides ~ he likes to try pushing my buttons too:eek:

My wife and he have battled for years over traditional farm products vs organic. For him, he will always wino_O Sound familure?

More perspective on this report.
Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate breakdown

Insectageddon: farming is more catastrophic than climate breakdown | George Monbiot

I am trying to stay positive about the future, you gotta help me;)

I am trying very hard to control my small footprint by using all things electric, eating organic and so on, but it is hard when my brother-law was, just retired, the CEO of a very large farming operation in Sacramento Delta. He swares by all things fossil fuel and pesticide.:eek:

I am trying to stay positive about the future, you gotta help me;)

I am trying very hard to control my small footprint by using all things electric, eating organic and so on, but it is hard when my brother-law was, just retired, the CEO of a very large farming operation in Sacramento Delta. He swares by all things fossil fuel and pesticide.:eek:
Sorry. It's discouraging.
The article did reference a UN report which concludes that yields increase with lower pesticide use.

http://www.thelancet.com/commissions/pollution-and-health
For decades, pollution and its harmful effects on people’s health, the environment, and the planet have been neglected both by Governments and the international development agenda. Yet, pollution is the largest environmental cause of disease and death in the world today, responsible for an estimated 9 million premature deaths.

The Lancet Commission on pollution and health addresses the full health and economic costs of air, water, and soil pollution. Through analyses of existing and emerging data, the Commission reveals pollution’s severe and underreported contribution to the Global Burden of Disease. It uncovers the economic costs of pollution to low-income and middle-income countries. The Commission will inform key decision makers around the world about the burden that pollution places on health and economic development, and about available cost-effective pollution control solutions and strategies.

Global pollution kills 9m a year and threatens 'survival of human societies'

Global pollution kills 9m a year and threatens 'survival of human societies'