Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fraud or libel?
Is climate change not real and happening?
It is real, and human activity (fossil fuel burning + deforestration) is a major contributor to it.
Do we need to do something about it?
Yes, absolutely, we need to radically reduce our CO2 emissions with short and aggressive timeline. We can ill afford to drag our feet and make empty statements.
Did the Paris agreement do something about it?
Unfortunately, for all practical purposes, do Paris agreement did nothing useful.
A bunch of politicians agreed that we should keep warming under 2C, a nice sentiment, but alas we lack the global thermostat on earth that we can simply adjust up or down. A meaningful agreement would have to set CO2 emission limits that are decreasing over time for each country, such that based on our scientific models the warming would stay under the desired limit. Without commitment to reduce CO2 emissions, the whole facade is just empty drivel, blowing hot air out of their mouth. In fact, not flying there and saving to burn all that kerosene would have helped more!

It is real, and human activity (fossil fuel burning + deforestration) is a major contributor to it.

Yes, absolutely, we need to radically reduce our CO2 emissions with short and aggressive timeline. We can ill afford to drag our feet and make empty statements.

Unfortunately, for all practical purposes, do Paris agreement did nothing useful.
A bunch of politicians agreed that we should keep warming under 2C, a nice sentiment, but alas we lack the global thermostat on earth that we can simply adjust up or down. A meaningful agreement would have to set CO2 emission limits that are decreasing over time for each country, such that based on our scientific models the warming would stay under the desired limit. Without commitment to reduce CO2 emissions, the whole facade is just empty drivel, blowing hot air out of their mouth. In fact, not flying there and saving to burn all that kerosene would have helped more!

You really shouldn't attack a multi-national group that is at least attempting to address the very problem you want to see action on simply because you think it hasn't gone far enough. Be positive and ask for more if you think it's needed, but don't take a dump on their efforts.

Gotta love this...

Worth noting that nuclear power and coal were sitting side-by-side. Same people. Same objective. The nuclear industry could not care less about climate change. It's hard to win when victory is not your objective.
YES! I got a FB notification when the video went live and I was shocked and kinda teared up watching it. Very impressed.

Reactions: nwdiver
Nuclear representatives are idiots to sit at the same bench with fossil fuel representatives. Nuclear is a lost cause at this point, and it's their own fault. Power utilities may suffer a similar fate. There's nothing wrong with centralized power generation, it actually has notable benefits. But when the utilities insist on playing the part of the villain, distributed decentralized power will be the result.

Nuclear representatives are idiots to sit at the same bench with fossil fuel representatives.

It would be rude to ignore your colleagues. When I worked at URENCO our CEO was from an oil company and our CFO came from a coal plant. They're all the same. ~95% of the people I worked with denied climate change. That's one of the reasons I walked away from a very lucrative job. Nuclear is a scam. The industry could not care less about climate change.

It's not an accident that AWEA and SEIA strongly support a carbon tax while NEI is silent on the subject (except when it comes to boasting how nuclear happens to be carbon neutral).

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Quote of the day.

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 11.37.38 AM.png

What is going to happen when we have eliminated carbon output and global warming continues unabated? What happens if our real contribution to global warming is just shear heat output or now absorption of heat by solar panels? Think about it, let's say we replace all energy production with solar energy, this means a whole lot of the sun's energy that is normally reflected into space will be absorbed to be consumed by us.
We could look at wind energy, will it affect the climate? It won't contribute to global warming but will it affect the climate? We are taking energy from the wind thus maybe slowing it? Will this cause a slowing of air currents, will this cause more extreme air currents in other areas?

Seeding the atmosphere is going to cause a whole new set of problems we can not even comprehend yet.

Look around, each and every one of us converts more energy to heat than multiples of any other creature on the planet.
We need to heat our homes, cool our homes,
We need to heat and cool huge buildings we don't even occupy.
We need run run open air coolers in buildings we must heat and cool.
We need machines hundreds of times our own weight to move us around at tens to hundreds of times quicker than we can move ourselves.
We need lights for everything, twenty four hours a day regardless of if we are present or not.
We need to eat foods that are grossly inefficient to produce from all over the planet.
We need to ship raw products around the world to produce finished products to ship around the world again to combine with other products to make other products which need to be shipped around the world once again to be combined with wet more products and so on to be shipped again as a finished product that has a good chance of ending up in a landfill before it is ever put to practical use. I learned the other day a simple one inch ball bearing is manufactured of components from countries (including but not limited to) Germany, Mexico, Japan and Australia, this was the balls, inner race, outer race and seals. This didn't include the raw materials that contributed to it's manufacture. The bearing is officially "Made in Sweden"... This bearing fit into a feederhouse assembly that was made in the US for a combine that was made in Belgium and subsequently shipped to the US and then to Canada.
Local Subway restaurant buys beef from a local packing plant (five miles upwind) that must be shipped to Denver to be processed then back to be sold.
I hauled empty shampoo bottles Vancouver to LA only to reload with filled ones and haul them back to Vancouver, many for export.
I've passed too many trucks to count hauling sailboat fuel the opposite direction on exactly the same trailers I was hauling dispatcher brains on (air, we were empty...).
We read articles that say we need to reduce carbon output surrounded by ads that promote 400hp diesel pickup trucks and campers and flights and cruises all over the planet.
We need to ship crude oil for export right past areas we import oil.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, people we vote into power fly all over the world first class and in private aircraft and stay in top end accommodations to attend meetings to eliminate climate change only to fly home then off to meetings that promote globalization and climate change. Shipping alone contributes hugely to climate change, it's no mystery but nobody can see this (or they simply refuse to?).

The human race is causing the sixth mass extinction on this planet, does anybody care? The way we are going we will be the cause of our own...

We so need to back up and seriously look at what we are doing.

1. Read up on Albedo and Black body radiation first;
2. Remember that the the GHG effect holds in infra-red
3. Know that PV panels reflect about 5%,

Then consider this graphic of albedos

upload_2017-11-20_22-20-39.png

Imagine that you came to this forum and described a clean energy that required ponds on land, or ponds on roofs. Then another comes along, bemoans the GHG potential, and suggests burning fossil fuels instead.

Yeah.

What is going to happen when we have eliminated carbon output and global warming continues unabated? What happens if our real contribution to global warming is just shear heat output or now absorption of heat by solar panels? Think about it, let's say we replace all energy production with solar energy, this means a whole lot of the sun's energy that is normally reflected into space will be absorbed to be consumed by us.
We could look at wind energy, will it affect the climate? It won't contribute to global warming but will it affect the climate? We are taking energy from the wind thus maybe slowing it? Will this cause a slowing of air currents, will this cause more extreme air currents in other areas?

Seeding the atmosphere is going to cause a whole new set of problems we can not even comprehend yet.

Look around, each and every one of us converts more energy to heat than multiples of any other creature on the planet.
We need to heat our homes, cool our homes,
We need to heat and cool huge buildings we don't even occupy.
We need run run open air coolers in buildings we must heat and cool.
We need machines hundreds of times our own weight to move us around at tens to hundreds of times quicker than we can move ourselves.
We need lights for everything, twenty four hours a day regardless of if we are present or not.
We need to eat foods that are grossly inefficient to produce from all over the planet.
We need to ship raw products around the world to produce finished products to ship around the world again to combine with other products to make other products which need to be shipped around the world once again to be combined with wet more products and so on to be shipped again as a finished product that has a good chance of ending up in a landfill before it is ever put to practical use. I learned the other day a simple one inch ball bearing is manufactured of components from countries (including but not limited to) Germany, Mexico, Japan and Australia, this was the balls, inner race, outer race and seals. This didn't include the raw materials that contributed to it's manufacture. The bearing is officially "Made in Sweden"... This bearing fit into a feederhouse assembly that was made in the US for a combine that was made in Belgium and subsequently shipped to the US and then to Canada.
Local Subway restaurant buys beef from a local packing plant (five miles upwind) that must be shipped to Denver to be processed then back to be sold.
I hauled empty shampoo bottles Vancouver to LA only to reload with filled ones and haul them back to Vancouver, many for export.
I've passed too many trucks to count hauling sailboat fuel the opposite direction on exactly the same trailers I was hauling dispatcher brains on (air, we were empty...).
We read articles that say we need to reduce carbon output surrounded by ads that promote 400hp diesel pickup trucks and campers and flights and cruises all over the planet.
We need to ship crude oil for export right past areas we import oil.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, people we vote into power fly all over the world first class and in private aircraft and stay in top end accommodations to attend meetings to eliminate climate change only to fly home then off to meetings that promote globalization and climate change. Shipping alone contributes hugely to climate change, it's no mystery but nobody can see this (or they simply refuse to?).

The human race is causing the sixth mass extinction on this planet, does anybody care? The way we are going we will be the cause of our own...

We so need to back up and seriously look at what we are doing.
I think others have addressed your albedo concerns.
In regards to your inefficient consumption concerns, I agree that much could be improved in this area. I think we all need to take environmental impact into consideration every time we consume anything.

Last edited:
  • Informative