Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A long-time client took me to lunch earlier this week. He is staunchly conservative, but a good guy and successful businessperson. We were discussing current events when the subject turned to climate change and global warming. [Tread lightly, I said to myself.]

He is convinced that renewable energy cannot be sustained because, "What happens to all the wind when the energy in the wind is converted to electricity? The wind will stop blowing as all the energy in the wind is changed." My jaw hit the table. I knew that I could not explain kinetic energy (I do believe that is what wind is). I knew that I could not explain that wind is nowhere near 100% efficient--impossible by some famous guy whose name I do not recall. I knew I could not explain that wind uses a tiny fraction of the kinetic energy to get the propeller blades rotating because of the shapes and sizes of the blades.

I asked about solar panels, and he must have thought that it was the heat from the sun that generated the electricity as his reply was that the sun heats the Earth, and with all this shading from the panels that the Earth would not receive enough heat to effect the seasonal changes in weather. I realized that the word photon was not high on his list.

So, I changed the subject to the latest scandals that were in the news....

But this singular conversation with an educated person leads me to believe that there is so-o-o-o much misinformation, spurious data, and lack of basic science knowledge out there. You cannot change these individuals' beliefs. They are firmly entrenched with their biases. And they are afraid of change.
Turns out, this has been studied.
Do wind turbine farms have an effect on climate? | CBC Radio

I think some people need to think they have a special place in the universe. The nuclear crank niche had a vacancy, he applied and got the job.

From the Ted profile:
Michael lives in Berkeley, California

That explains it. If he grew up in Ontario Canada, or any place that spent the kind of money we did and continue to on Nuclear power,, he'd have a clue.

Ontario is now spending another $20B+ on refitting our existing (not even NEW) sites, even though new renewable is a fraction of the investment and cost. Oh, and we needed a $7B gas power build out to prepare for the eventuality of the loss of the Nukes for many years, so there is that too, and the gas is running a fraction of the time, about 10% utilization, but paid to potentially keep the lights on, very expensive insurance policy.

NY State freaking LOVES Ontario surplus Nuclear power, they buy it from us when we over produce, which is pretty much every single overnight period. EV's and overnight charging of millions of cars can't come soon enough, then NY would actually have to pay for >1 GWh of power they buy (actually sometimes Ontario needs to pay NY to take it, no SH^T) every night, as Ontario would be using all of the surplus Nuclear to charge EV's.

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso
Just got caught up on this thread and I am....somewhat...heartened to sense that it has gotten at least...somewhat...back on track.

Anyway, A Modest Proposal:

If you get yourselves caught up with someone who believes that the earth just Keeps GETTING WINDIER!!!!!....then you could consider espousing more and more wind turbines to keep that darned stuff from overflowing.

In other news: The earth rotates so as to give the appearance of a rising sun from a planetary viewpoint.
Unfortunately, many people don't realize this fact

He said: “Oil majors’ climate branding sounds increasingly hollow and their credibility is on the line. They publicly support climate action while lobbying against binding policy. They advocate low-carbon solutions but such investments are dwarfed by spending on expanding their fossil fuel business.”

Increasingly they are using social media to successfully push their agenda to weaken and oppose any meaningful legislation to tackle global warming.

In the run-up to the US midterm elections last year $2m was spent on targeted Facebook and Instagram ads by global oil giants and their industry bodies, promoting the benefits of increased fossil fuel production, according to the report published on Friday by InfluenceMap.

Separately, BP donated $13m to a campaign, also supported by Chevron, that successfully stopped a carbon tax in Washington state – $1m of which was spent on social media ads, the research shows.

The successful lobbying and direct opposition to policy measures to tackle global warming have hindered governments globally in their efforts to implement policies after the Paris agreement to meet climate targets and keep warming below 1.5C.

They publicly support climate action while lobbying against binding policy. They advocate low-carbon solutions but such investments are dwarfed by spending on expanding their fossil fuel business.
This is very similar to governing bodies which readily adopt climate change resolutions but continue to push back on actual climate change policy. We encounter this a lot. They're more than happy to adopt anything nonbinding, but as soon as action is to be taken, there are economic or administrative excuses for why they cannot pass meaningful legislation.

My advocacy group is always looking at the phrasing in legislation because the first draft rarely makes any real commitment. This is no accident.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
The Great Lakes region is warming faster than the rest of the U.S., a trend that is likely to bring more extreme storms while also degrading water quality, worsening erosion and posing tougher challenges for farming, scientists report.

In a report commissioned by the Chicago-based Environmental Law & Policy Center, the annual mean air temperature in the region increased 0.89 C in the periods 1901-60 and 1985-2016 — compared to 0.67 C for the rest of U.S.

The region includes portions of the U.S. Midwest, Northeast and southern Canada.

Warming is expected to continue this century, with rates depending on how much heat-trapping gases — like carbon dioxide and methane — are pumped into the atmosphere.

As the air warms, it will hold more moisture, which will likely mean heavier winter snowstorms and spring rains. There could also be more flooding in vulnerable areas.

Not only that, summers will be hotter and drier.

<snip>

A warming climate will add to the stresses the lakes have suffered from industrial pollution and development, according to the report, in particular the overflows from urban sewer systems that carry harmful bacteria.

While annual U.S. precipitation increased four per cent between 1901 and 2015, it jumped nearly 10 per cent in the Great Lakes region. Much of that increase was due to unusually large storms, the report says.

Future precipitation is likely to happen less evenly, decreasing five to 15 per cent in the summer by 2100.

<snip>

Heat waves should become more common, posing risks for elderly people and children with asthma. By the end of the century, the region should have up to 40 additional days with temperatures exceeding 32.2 C (90 F).

While winter snowfall should decrease in most places, areas accustomed to lake-effect squalls can expect them to dump even more snow — particularly along the Lake Ontario snowbelt in New York.

<snip>

The region could have longer growing seasons, said Brad Cardinale at the University of Michigan's Cooperative Institute for Great Lakes Research.

However, the report suggests that the benefit could be offset by wetter springs that make it harder to plant crops.

Not only that, increasing drought and heat in the summer could hit the agriculture industry hard.

The report predicts that corn and soybean crop yields will go down by 10 to 30 per cent by the end of this century.

<snip>
Full article at:
Great Lakes are rapidly warming, likely to trigger more flooding and extreme weather | CBC News

Even the Fed is worried.
Fed official: Climate change is an ‘international market failure’
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco | Climate Change and the Federal Reserve

Climate change was already worrying enough — now a report from the U.S. central bank cautions that rising temperatures and extreme storms could eventually trigger a financial collapse.

A Federal Reserve researcher warned in a report on Monday that “climate-based risk could threaten the stability of the financial system as a whole.” But possible fixes — using the Fed’s buying power to green the economy — are currently against the law

Rudebusch warns that crops and inundated cities have already started to hurt the economy: “Economists view these losses as the result of a fundamental market failure: carbon fuel prices do not properly account for climate change costs,” he writes. “Businesses and households that produce greenhouse gas emissions, say, by driving cars or generating electricity, do not pay for the losses and damage caused by that pollution.”

Slashing fossil fuel use could save millions of lives at risk due to air pollution, study says - CNN

Worldwide, 3.61 million people are dying each year due to outdoor pollution caused by fossil fuels, an international team of researchers estimates. Fossil fuels, including coal, oil and natural gas, are responsible for about 78% of global greenhouse gas emissions, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency (and about 76% of US greenhouse gas emissions).

An additional 1.94 million premature deaths occur as a result of air pollution from other sources, including residential energy use and agricultural activities, according to the authors.
Beyond the direct health benefits, rapidly decreasing fossil fuel emissions would increase rainfall in drought-prone regions and boost food security, they say.