Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually it WAS just a few people, or more specifically very few climate scientists. As it turns out the majority of climate scientists thought we should be heating rather than cooling, but the SO2 put out by the burning of coal was reflecting sunlight and causing the more serious acid rain. We cleaned up the acid rain issue by scrubbing the SO2 out of the coal emissions. Warming continued as expected now that it was no longer masked by SO2.
Exactly so.
The interesting (to me) story of the climate cooling hypothesis is that denialists use it as an an example of how climate modeling is wrong when that was not the case at all. The modeling was very good; the projection of aerosol pollution (a political decision) was wrong. The scientists thought humanity would suffocate itself with pollution before global warming took over.

I'm not familiar with the era but for all I know the warnings were the impetus for aerosol control. If so, we owe a debt of gratitude to those scientists who extended humanity's survival by being "wrong."

^^ somewhat tangentiallly,
The leading scientist from UW who warned of global cooling from aerosol pollution remained an AGW skeptic. He was obviously not a typical denialist idiot and accepted global warming when the data was clear cut by the late 1980s and he well understood the greenhouse effect but he attributed the warming to a natural cycle. He though the Earth was still coming out of the last ice age.

I think that mostly says he was less informed about Earth cycles, and the rapidity of change in those natural cycles, than one could hope for. The more charitable explanation is that he is actually in part correct: the natural cycle is being accelerated by AGW. We all hear about major tipping points (and for good reason!) but common sense suggests these two processes act in concert.

So that's the only metric that matters? More people are able to find an air conditioned public space to escape rising temperature or evacuate before the flood/fire destroy their house so we can keep our pathetic addiction to fools fuel? The bar is 'Well.... you didn't die..

Yes, unfortunately that’s the bottom line. There will not be unified action until all the deniers are dead.
So we just have to sit this out, wait until nature runs it’s course to kill off the dinosaurs.

Yes, unfortunately that’s the bottom line. There will not be unified action until all the deniers are dead.
So we just have to sit this out, wait until nature runs it’s course to kill off the dinosaurs.
The deniers will never die out. We still have people believing in a flat earth, that vaccines do not work, that we never landed on the moon. It will get better but never approach 0

Meanwhile... :)
Hope NV Energy will allow EV charging rates to go to 3PM, like with PG&E. So much solar power, need to increase demand during the day to actually make a difference. Allowing overnight EV charging when grid is powered less by renewables kind of defeats the purpose. Makes me laugh when people buy rooftop solar and then charge at night, then say they are driving emission free.

Warren Buffett Is Making a Big Bet on Solar Power

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Was the tree shading the solar at all? Green spaces are great but sometimes trees next to homes cause more problems than they solve.

My neighbors have a tree that's probably reducing my solar production by ~2kWh/day from October to March. That's ~200lbs of CO2/yr vs ~13lbs/yr the tree sequesters. Not sure how much habitat the one tree is really providing...

I had a co-worker whose south roof was PERFECT for solar but he had 3 shade trees that almost completely shaded the roof. He kind of scoffed at the idea that removing the trees and putting up solar more environmentally sound. ~10 tons of CO2/yr reduction with solar vs ~15kg/yr from the trees...

No, the tree was in the northeast corner of the property. Their daughter complained about not enough daylight ~ rumor.

Neighbor on north side of property wanted it cut down when they moved in three years ago. This is just a case of neighbor got their way.

We spent a lot of time working with the solar folks to ensure we squeezed every ounce of sunlight out of our system back in 2013.

I wish there had been a valid reason, I really do. Thanks for trying to save them from my voodoo doll:)

It actually seems to have gotten worse, more flat earthers, moon landing deniers, and anti vaxers than ever.

Makes you appreciate what our solders endured during WW I, in the trenches. This in no way diminishes what those soldiers endured; mentally the bombardment of absolute stupidity and deliberate attacks with no remorse takes its toll on our souls. I am hoping you can understand my jump in drawing parallels here. The bottom line intent of the stupidity puppeteers is to ensure the end of life as we might have come to appreciate it.

FYI ~ humans are not born stupid; they have to work at it!

Reactions: mspohr
We are seeing the very worst of our scientific predictions come to pass in these bushfires

We are seeing the very worst of our scientific predictions come to pass in these bushfires | Joëlle Gergis

As a climate scientist, the thing that really terrifies me is that weather conditions considered extreme by today’s standards will seem sedate in the future. What’s unfolding right now is really just a taste of the new normal.

As I’ve watched the events of this summer unfolding, I’ve found myself wondering whether the Earth system has now breached a tipping point, an irreversible shift in the stability of the planetary system.

Failing to adequately plan for the known threat of climate change in a country like Australia should now be considered to be an act of treason.

Now is the time for our political leaders to make a choice about which side of history they want to be on. There is much work to be done, and we are fast running out of time.

• Love
Reactions: DriverOne
Jakarta floods: cloud seeding planes will try to break up heavy rain

Jakarta floods: cloud seeding planes will try to break up heavy rain

Dozens dead in Indonesian capital and surrounds as role of global heating is acknowledged in ‘extreme’ event

Torrential rains in the days either side of the new year have inundated swathes of Jakarta and nearby towns. The country’s meteorological agency called it “one of the most extreme” rainfall events since records began in 1866 and said climate change had increased the risk of extreme weather.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Climate crisis fuels year of record temperatures in UK, says Met Office

Climate crisis fuels year of record temperatures in UK, says Met Office

A series of high temperature records were broken in the UK in 2019 as a consequence of the climate crisis, the Met Office has said.

The hottest temperature ever recorded in the UK was exceeded on 25 July in Cambridge, where the thermometer hit 38.7C (101F). The record for the hottest February day was also broken, with Kew Gardens in London recording 21.2C on the 26th.

The hottest December day is also likely to have been exceeded when 18.7C was recorded at Achfary in the Scottish Highlands on the 28th, but this is awaiting verification. The Highlands also recorded the highest minimum temperature ever recorded in February – of 13.9C at Achnagart.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I know most here disagree with this statement but: I firmly believe that even scientists will throw facts overboard because of their politics. And GW IS politics! And money in politicians' pockets. And money to those "studies" with a conclusion prior to the study. And I know, I know it goes both ways. Which is why I am a registered Independent. A Trump-supporting Independent!

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso
I know most here disagree with this statement but: I firmly believe that even scientists will throw facts overboard because of their politics. And GW IS politics! And money in politicians' pockets. And money to those "studies" with a conclusion prior to the study. And I know, I know it goes both ways. Which is why I am a registered Independent. A Trump-supporting Independent!
I thought so.

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak and JRP3
It's a stupid waste of time to be arguing about politics and what someone might have said in the past.
The fact is that we are currently in a climate emergency and we should be talking about what to do about it. The world is literally burning up today. That is a fact.