Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

His job is to sell oil.
COP 28 is just a trade fair for him.
Actually I don't understand how it is possible that an Oil Company boss can lead COP28. Think that the UAE have some democracy failures and don't know what "conflict of interests" means.
That's why I think that a Super Partes International Organization should lead the fight to the Climate Change issue.
We cannot depend upon the interests of Single States to work out the Climate Change issue.

Actually I don't understand how it is possible that an Oil Company boss can lead COP28. Think that the UAE have some democracy failures and don't know what "conflict of interests" means.
That's why I think that a Super Partes International Organization should lead the fight to the Climate Change issue.
We cannot depend upon the interests of Single States to work out the Climate Change issue.
Unfortunately, the capitalists control the world and their greed encompasses all.
We should keep fighting but there are rich, powerful forces against us.

Reactions: DrGriz
Capitalists don't have any "good will". It's just profits.
Then you think that Elon has not "good will"?
We are here to fight for a better world also thanks to Elon who created Tesla. And Elon is a capitalist and richest man in the world.
I would like to have many people like Elon. Then the Earth would be a better place.
IMO "good will" is a thing indipendent from anything else.
Sorry but I disagree with you on this matter.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I would like to say only one thing to the COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber:

“Dear COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, as a COP president you should not represent any national or commercial interest, it is your job to lead the world!”

Another source saying that the UAE planned to use the COP28 Climate talks to make oil deals.

Reactions: petit_bateau

Another source saying that the UAE planned to use the COP28 Climate talks to make oil deals.
Attempting to do business deals during the COP process appears to be a serious breach of the standards of conduct expected of a COP president.

Those standards are set by the UN body responsible for the climate negotiations, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).

The UNFCCC says the "cardinal principle" for COP presidents and their teams is "the obligation of impartiality".

It told the BBC that COP presidents are "expected to act without bias, prejudice, favouritism, caprice, self-interest, preference or deference, strictly based on sound, independent and fair judgement".

"They are also expected to ensure that personal views and convictions do not compromise or appear to compromise their role and functions as a UNFCCC office," it continued.

Manuel Pulgar-Vidal, the head of the COP20 summit in Peru in 2014, worries a collapse in trust could mean no progress on tackling climate change in Dubai.

"The president of the COP is the leader of the world, is trying to build consensus on behalf of the planet," he told the BBC.

"If any president of the COP tries to bring a particular interest, [including] commercial interest, that could mean the failure of the COP."

The ESA Earth Observation Department has calculated the amount of Carbon Dioxide Emissions that are available to us before to overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris for the Temperature Deviation.
At the current rate of Carbon Dioxide Emissions in 10 years we will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris. (See the video above).

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz

Such a levy would shave off only a small fraction of the bonanza that oil-producing countries have made in recent years, and would help to fill a fund for the “loss and damage” to poor countries afflicted by the impacts of the climate crisis.

Brown told the Guardian: “The deadlock on climate finance has to be broken if Cop28 is to succeed. After more than a decade of broken promises, a $25bn oil and gas levy paid by the petrol states and proposed by the UAE as chair of Cop would kickstart finance for mitigation [reduction of greenhouse gas emissions] and adaptation in the global south.

“But all the main historic and current emitters must come to the table with guarantees and grants if the $1tn a year needed for development and climate funding in the global south is to be raised.”

Note that this is only to repair damage and not treat the problem.
Also, these are former leaders so they are powerless.

Reactions: mspohr