Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The president of Cop28, Sultan Al Jaber, has claimed there is “no science” indicating that a phase-out of fossil fuels is needed to restrict global heating to 1.5C, the Guardian and the Centre for Climate Reporting can reveal. Al Jaber also said a phase-out of fossil fuels would not allow sustainable development “unless you want to take the world back into caves”. The comments were “incredibly concerning” and “verging on climate denial”, scientists said, and they were at odds with the position of the UN secretary general, António Guterres. Al Jaber made the comments in ill-tempered responses to questions from Mary Robinson, the chair of the Elders group and a former UN special envoy for climate change, during a live online event on 21 November. As well as running Cop28 in Dubai, Al Jaber is also the chief executive of the United Arab Emirates’ state oil company, Adnoc, which many observers see as a serious conflict of interest.
I wish to send this message to the COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber:

“Dear COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, as a COP president you should not represent any national or commercial interest, it is your job to lead the world. And please study the science of the Green House Effect to avoid spreading disinformation!!”

Reactions: DrGriz
I wish to send this message to the COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber:

“Dear COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber, as a COP president you should not represent any national or commercial interest, it is your job to lead the world. And please study the science of the Green House Effect to avoid spreading disinformation!!”
His job is to spread disinformation.
He knows the science.
The COP gives him a big platform to spread disinformation and sell more oil. The idiots who decided it would be a good idea to have the COP in UAE are complicit.

His job is to spread disinformation.
He knows the science.
The COP gives him a big platform to spread disinformation and sell more oil. The idiots who decided it would be a good idea to have the COP in UAE are complicit.
Actually I used the word "disinformation" rather than "misinformation" because I didn't want to mean that Sultan Al Jaber was aware of spreading disinformation, but I also think that Sultan Al Jaber knows the science of GHE.
IMO, considering the gravity of the Climate Change issue, it was not a good idea to have COP28 in UAE.

The president of Cop28, Sultan Al Jaber, has claimed there is “no science” indicating that a phase-out of fossil fuels is needed to restrict global heating to 1.5C, the Guardian and the Centre for Climate Reporting can reveal. Al Jaber also said a phase-out of fossil fuels would not allow sustainable development “unless you want to take the world back into caves”. The comments were “incredibly concerning” and “verging on climate denial”, scientists said, and they were at odds with the position of the UN secretary general, António Guterres. Al Jaber made the comments in ill-tempered responses to questions from Mary Robinson, the chair of the Elders group and a former UN special envoy for climate change, during a live online event on 21 November. As well as running Cop28 in Dubai, Al Jaber is also the chief executive of the United Arab Emirates’ state oil company, Adnoc, which many observers see as a serious conflict of interest.

The news concerning the COP28 President Sultan Al Jaber is confirmed.

The mask slips.

To this concern I would like to point out that this graph that we know of the atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration in the atmosphere, which is already alarming, doesn't consider methane. The graph considering also methane to the effect of GHE, which is called Equivalent CO2 concentration graph, has to be shifted upwards of 80 units!

View attachment 988109

As I said in the quoted post the Global Warming caused by methane (CH4) is not negligible.
The Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, John Kerry, says that Global Warming caused by non-CO2 GHGs, like methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O), is responsible for over half of current Warming.
So also non-CO2 GHGs reduction is important to reach the targets given by the Agreement of Paris.

Last edited:

As I said in the quoted post the Global Warming caused by methane (CH4) is not negligible.
The Special Presidential Envoy for Climate, John Kerry, says that Global Warming caused by non-CO2 GHGs, like methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O), is responsible for over half of current Warming.
So also non-CO2 GHGs reduction is important to reach the targets given by the Agreement of Paris.

With reference to the quoted post, which informed us about the importance of non-CO2 GHGs reductions to work out the Climate crisis, the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry mentions the efforts done at COP28 to reduce Methane Emissions.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr

In this video you can see what will happen to the Earth in the following decades if we don't take Climate actions to avoid the severe consequences of the Climate Change issue.
I invite everybody to watch this video. Then you will understand why the US Department of Defense considers the Climate Change issue a serious threat.

The Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry at COP28 is doing his best to achieve NET ZERO.
Since the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry at COP28 is doing his best to achieve NET ZERO, I think that also we all should strive to reach NET ZERO.
So I wish to advice to all TMC Members to read this book giving guidance on the NET ZERO matter.

Screenshot_20231205_123254_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: dhrivnak and ggr

At least 2,456 fossil fuel lobbyists have been granted access to the Cop28 climate negotiations, according to an analysis. The figure calculated by the Kick Big Polluters Out (KBPO) coalition is a record number that raises further questions about the fossil fuel industry’s influence over this year’s UN summit, which is being run by the president of the United Arab Emirates’ national oil company. The scale of oil and gas influence in Dubai is unprecedented, with almost four times as many industry-affiliated lobbyists than the number registered for Cop27 in Sharm el-Sheikh – which itself was a record year.

Caroline Muturi, a coordinator at the campaign group Ibon Africa, said: “These findings tell us that the dynamics within these spaces remain fundamentally colonial. Cops have become an avenue for these corporations to greenwash their polluting businesses and foist dangerous distractions from real climate action.”

Of course they won't consider restoring all of the land that has been cleared to make way for animal agriculture
Don't understand. I mean that IPCC considers almost sure that the Temperature Deviation of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris will be overtaken in a few years and that for this reason we will be forced to implement Carbon Sequestration.

Don't understand. I mean that IPCC considers almost sure that the Temperature Deviation of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris will be overtaken in a few years and that for this reason we will be forced to implement Carbon Sequestration.
Forests and grasslands sequester carbon faster, cheaper and on a potentially larger scale than any industrial process.
Clearing land has been a large contributor to rising CO2.

Reactions: fhteagle
Forests and grasslands sequester carbon faster, cheaper and on a potentially larger scale than any industrial process.
Clearing land has been a large contributor to rising CO2.
Also BIOCHAR is useful to implement CARBON SEQUESTRATION. Don't know what is the Carbon Sequestration technique that will be used, I only wish to inform anybody that according to IPCC in a few years we will be forced to implement Carbon Sequestration to return from a temporary Temperature Overshoot.

Reactions: mspohr

For years, the European Union has been laying the foundation for what may be the world’s most ambitious climate policy: the European Green Deal, which puts Europe out in front in the global fight against climate change. This formidable bundle of policies steers countries to build renewable energy resources, find ways to improve energy efficiency and significantly cut greenhouse gas emissions in the process. But now, the Green Deal is in peril as a school of thought that frames the green transition as an elitist plot against ordinary people gains followers in Europe. It’s a political strategy that is potent in the moment but is bound to fail in the long run.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma