Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not a single G20 country has policies in place that are consistent with the Paris agreement’s goal of limiting global heating to 1.5C and meeting their “fair share” of emissions reduction.

The US’s forecast 2030 emissions of more than 5bn metric tonnes is significantly higher than the 1.9bn metric tonnes it was allocated by the analysts under a 1.5C-compatible fair share model. The US has so far achieved about one-third of its 2030 emissions reduction target and took a major step forward with Joe Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, which included promising signs including investments in clean energy.

When explaining the fair share classifications, a researcher at the Climate Action Tracker said: “Assessing what is fair depends on the viewpoint and interests of governments. Many consider it fair that those who have made a bigger contribution to the problem, or who have a higher capability to act, should do more. To create our ranges, we compiled a wide range of perspectives on what is considered a fair contribution to greenhouse gas reductions: so-called effort-sharing studies.”

California is requiring all new homes to be built with #solar panels, all public buses to be zero emissions, & building massive batteries to provide 24 hr #renewableenergy.

Raffy,

I live in California. I cannot comment on public buses and the massive batteries.

I can comment that my dim recollection of the "mandatory installation of solar panels on all new homes" is a token 1,000 watts. While I do not sneeze at any sort of renewable form of electricity generation, a mere kilowatt of panels will not put much of a dent in our overall usage of electricity, especially in the interior valleys (where I live). Summers here consistently are 100°-plus from some time in June through September. Overnight lows hover around 68° to 75°.

One would think that a more sensible approach would be to have canopies installed in most public parking areas at malls, large office complexes, airports, and public schools. Then erect solar panels with battery storage on those canopies. I don't know how much area those canopies with panels would encompass, nor do I know the potential sizing of the panels.

There is an office building very close to our home. I think they have four canopies covered with solar panels. There have to be close to 300 panels in total. With a modest 300 watts per panel, that is a 90kW rated system. The sun shines about 320 days per year here.

Imagine if this were adopted statewide!

Raffy,

I live in California. I cannot comment on public buses and the massive batteries.

I can comment that my dim recollection of the "mandatory installation of solar panels on all new homes" is a token 1,000 watts. While I do not sneeze at any sort of renewable form of electricity generation, a mere kilowatt of panels will not put much of a dent in our overall usage of electricity, especially in the interior valleys (where I live). Summers here consistently are 100°-plus from some time in June through September. Overnight lows hover around 68° to 75°.

One would think that a more sensible approach would be to have canopies installed in most public parking areas at malls, large office complexes, airports, and public schools. Then erect solar panels with battery storage on those canopies. I don't know how much area those canopies with panels would encompass, nor do I know the potential sizing of the panels.

There is an office building very close to our home. I think they have four canopies covered with solar panels. There have to be close to 300 panels in total. With a modest 300 watts per panel, that is a 90kW rated system. The sun shines about 320 days per year here.

Imagine if this were adopted statewide!
California’s 2020 Solar Mandate requires all newly built homes to install solar photovoltaic systems. These requirements are based on the floor area of the home and the climate zone.

The solar panel systems must be sized to provide for the full annual energy usage of the home. In order to increase home energy efficiency, it’s expected that sizes will generally range between 2.7 kilowatts and 5.7 kilowatts under the new Title 24 requirements. These average system sizes take into consideration the fact that new homes will also include other technology that will enable them to be more energy-efficient overall.

Denmark is building an artificial island that will house up to 600 wind turbines and provide enough wind power for the entire country.

This is the way to go. Let's learn from Denmark to phase out from fossil fuels and take bold Climate actions.

... as China says that's why they were building islands in the South China Sea. LOL

... as China says that's why they were building islands in the South China Sea. LOL
Each Country should do it. We need to phase out from fossil fuels as soon as possible. It's widely known that in six years we will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris. We cannot wait too much to phase out from fossil fuels.

Reactions: DrGriz and mspohr
Each Country should do it. We need to phase out from fossil fuels as soon as possible. It's widely known that in six years we will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris. We cannot wait too much to phase out from fossil fuels.

To this concern the ESA Earth Observation Department is studying how to bridge the gap between the decisions took by the Institutions about the Climate Change issue (threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris for the Temperature Deviation) and the knowledge got about the Climate Change issue thanks to remote sensing.

Reactions: mspohr

As I said in my previous posts the contribution of methane to Current Warming is not negligible.
In fact the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate Change John Kerry says that methane (CH4) is responsible for 30% of Current Warming.
Luckily NASA is helping the world to identify methane super emitters from the International Space Station.

As I said it's widely known that the Temperature Deviation will overtake the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris in 6 years.
But according to the Met Office, because of Super El Niño 2023 which will continue in 2024, in 2024 the Temperature Deviation may already overtake the above mentioned threshold.
Then in the following years the Temperature Deviation will go again below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

P.S.

The Met Office names the Temperature Deviation as Average Global Temperature because as I said in a previous post the Temperature Deviation is calculated by averaging the Temperatures over the whole year. Actually the Temperatures are averaged not only over the whole year but also over the whole Earth Surface. So the Temperature Deviation is the result of a double integration divided by the whole year and the Earth Surface.

Last edited:
How Much Can Forests Fight Climate Change? A Sensor in Space Has Answers. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/....1Hcc.ibXOKssS3Bdp&smid=nytcore-android-share

In the past two decades, according to the research, protected areas around the world have helped stop deforestation and kept as much as a year’s worth of fossil fuel emissions from being released into the atmosphere.

People are eager to take whatever is left, like gold and timber,” he said. “It’s hard to get people to let go of something that’s making them so much money.” But according to the recent study, the Tapajós is still one of the world’s forests that is most successful at avoiding carbon emissions. Comparing the reserve to areas that were similar two decades ago but were never officially protected, researchers concluded that if the Tapajós had been wiped out, additional carbon equivalent to the amount produced by 900,000 Americans would have ended up in the atmosphere each year.

Then, in 2018, NASA started a mission called the Global Ecosystem Dynamics Investigation (or GEDI, pronounced like the order of knights in “Star Wars”) that deployed a sensor in space with the power to make precise 3-D measurements of the vegetation below.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma
How Much Can Forests Fight Climate Change? A Sensor in Space Has Answers. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/08/....1Hcc.ibXOKssS3Bdp&smid=nytcore-android-share

In the past two decades, according to the research, protected areas around the world have helped stop deforestation and kept as much as a year’s worth of fossil fuel emissions from being released into the atmosphere.

People are eager to take whatever is left, like gold and timber,” he said. “It’s hard to get people to let go of something that’s making them so much money.” But according to the recent study, the Tapajós is still one of the world’s forests that is most successful at avoiding carbon emissions. Comparing the reserve to areas that were similar two decades ago but were never officially protected, researchers concluded that if the Tapajós had been wiped out, additional carbon equivalent to the amount produced by 900,000 Americans would have ended up in the atmosphere each year.

Then, in 2018, NASA started a mission called the Global Ecosystem Dynamics Investigation (or GEDI, pronounced like the order of knights in “Star Wars”) that deployed a sensor in space with the power to make precise 3-D measurements of the vegetation below.

In this link the Global Ecosystem Dynamics Investigation (GEDI) is described in detail.
In particular by accurately measuring forests in 3D, GEDI data play an important role in understanding the amounts of biomass and carbon forests store which is important to understand Earth’s Carbon Cycle.

1702053199827.png

"Regardless of exactly how many degrees the temperature changes, it's clear we have already brought the planet into a range of conditions never seen by our species," said study co-author Gabriel Bowen, a professor at the University of Utah. "It should make us stop and question what is the right path forward."

Reactions: Raffy.Roma

The Carbon Monitoring done by the ESA Earth Observation Department found out that Brasil was a net carbon sink rather than a net carbon source as it was estimated.
Carbon Emissions of each Country have to be accurately checked if we want to meet the specification of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris for the Temperature Deviation.