Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate facts to warm to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Met Office's climate PC is a super-polluter | Metro.co.uk

The office in Exeter, Devon, contains a £30million IBM machine that fills halls the size of two football pitches and is thought to be the second most powerful system in the country.

But running it produces 12,000tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, dragging the organisation towards the bottom of a new 'green' league table published by the Department of Communities and Local Government.

By 2011, the computer is expected to have a peak processing speed approaching 1 petaflop, equivalent to more than 100,000 PCs and more than 30 times more powerful than what is in place at the moment. It will have 15million megabytes of memory - but will require 1.2 megawatts of electricity to run.

Funny - ironic even - but I think someone has their sums wrong.

If it is using 1.2MW then by my reckoning, it only produces 3700 tonnes per year (taking the UK grid mix of sources).

The Sufis tell stories about Nasruddin. In my favorite, his neighbor found him daubing flour paste on the walls of his house.

"Why are you doing that?"

"To keep the lions away."

"But there are no lions in Bagdad!"

"See?"

BBC News - Climate science must be more open, say MPs

MPs investigating the climate change row at the UK's University of East Anglia (UEA) have demanded greater transparency from climate scientists.

The Commons Science and Technology Committee criticised UEA authorities for failing to respond to requests for data from climate change sceptics.

But it found no evidence Professor Phil Jones, whose e-mails were hacked and published online, had manipulated data.

It said his reputation, and that of his climate research unit, remained intact.

Let's see how widely this outcome gets reported...