Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just about fed up with the climate control in my M3. When you drive off, for the first 10 mins it doesn’t seem to be blowing cold at all (set to 19 when it’s 27 outside). Then suddenly it will start blowing cold like crazy, like it’s trying to catch up for the 10 mins it hasn’t done anything.

I was going to book a service call but they have no loaners available and I’m not sure if all M3s are like this. I know I can set it to come on before I get in but I want it to work properly on the first place.

Mine takes a short while. I haven't timed it, but I know its not 10 mins. I think most cars take a short period of time to get up and running tbh, but 10 mins is too long for sure. I just run with the windows down for half a mile or so to clear out the initial 'sauna heat' put the windows back up and wait for aircon to do its job.

Reactions: Tezla041 and Nick77
With car in park (that is important), go into the main climate screen, the one with the dash board, and look for some feint dashboard coloured writing around what would be the glove compartment which may say you have a climate system fault. This cannot be seen when car is moving and is very small and feint as it’s just slightly darker than the background- it’s almost as if they didn’t want you to see it…

We had similar symptoms, i by chance spotted this message and they ended up replacing a couple of sensors. Didn’t always do it just at extremes of temperature, just like now.

I’m just about fed up with the climate control in my M3. When you drive off, for the first 10 mins it doesn’t seem to be blowing cold at all (set to 19 when it’s 27 outside). Then suddenly it will start blowing cold like crazy, like it’s trying to catch up for the 10 mins it hasn’t done anything.

I was going to book a service call but they have no loaners available and I’m not sure if all M3s are like this. I know I can set it to come on before I get in but I want it to work properly on the first place.

I can only comment on an older (non-heatpump ) Model 3 ... the AC kicks in instantly and powerfully ... you know, hair blasting towards the back seats until it gets near to the set temperature when it backs right off ...
jackie-chan-wind.gif

Might help some: mine was being a bit weak recently. Then a few hot days ago there was a clicking noise whilst it was running post drive. Feeling a Ranger visit pending - I thought I would open the bonnet, pop the plastic cover (the one with the US fireman’s helmet label sticking out from under/surrounding the washer fluid hatch) - and see if I could find the bit of cardboard in the spokes.

There was an air intake - and looking down inside - the surface area half-blocked with leaves + plus what I think was the clicker-leaf stuck in the drain hole. Pulling them out got rid of the noise and, I might be imagining it, but I think the aircon is now loulder/faster/cooler.

I should say it hasn’t stopped it being fairly random in intensity.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Might help some: mine was being a bit weak recently. Then a few hot days ago there was a clicking noise whilst it was running post drive. Feeling a Ranger visit pending - I thought I would open the bonnet, pop the plastic cover (the one with the US fireman’s helmet label sticking out from under/surrounding the washer fluid hatch) - and see if I could find the bit of cardboard in the spokes.

There was an air intake - and looking down inside - the surface area half-blocked with leaves + plus what I think was the clicker-leaf stuck in the drain hole. Pulling them out got rid of the noise and, I might be imagining it, but I think the aircon is now loulder/faster/cooler.

I should say it hasn’t stopped it being fairly random in intensity.
Thanks. Is it easy to take off?

Thanks. Is it easy to take off?
As stated by @MrBadger it is very easy to pop the cover off and put it back on. It is a bit surprising how large the unprotected opening for the cabin air intake is. I purchased a vent cover for our Model 3 (photos attached). I have not yet inspected our Model Y but if it has a similar large intake I will likely find and install a similar cover.

IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg

Reactions: Tigermad
I can only comment on an older (non-heatpump ) Model 3 ... the AC kicks in instantly and powerfully ... you know, hair blasting towards the back seats until it gets near to the set temperature when it backs right off ...
View attachment 841178
I agree with @Adopado
mine’s tha pre-heat pump model and is up and running in seconds. When returning to a hot car, it cools in about 5 minutes