Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I've mastered closing the frunk and figured I would share, in case it helps anyone. Initially I was closing the frunk similar to a traditional ICE hood (trying a forceful close), then changed and started closing as if I was giving the frunk CPR... o_O

What I do now is MUCH simpler:
- I lower the frunk lid (setting it down on the latch)
- Then Gently and slowly press down on the Tesla emblem and hold.

The latch locks and secures the frunk

There is no slamming or hard force required.

I feel like I've mastered closing the frunk and figured I would share, in case it helps anyone. Initially I was closing the frunk similar to a traditional ICE hood (trying a forceful close), then changed and started closing as if I was giving the frunk CPR... o_O

This is actually covered in the manual. You are supposed to push down on both sidesof the emblem, at the same time, along the front edge.

Last edited:

Ditto. It is the easiest method with the added benefits of reduced paint smudges, single handed operation and repeatability. It is NOT how the manual says to do it, but closing the frunk was such a hot mess for me before I found this method that I don't care. :cool:

Reactions: TD_alseT
8BCA4D40-35B1-4254-879A-7FEE091BD331.jpeg

I've read the manual and have used many techniques. The way I'm doing it now requires minimal force and effort. The key that I'm highlighting, aside from hand position, is a slow motion and a slight hold.

Just a different way of thinking about how the frunk latches.

I can't edit my original post so, ***For those reading*** I originally mentioned pressing on the emblem (which I do.). This is different then what is recommended in the manual..

Last edited:
Reactions: Brisket5652

I literally do the same thing... BUT i was reading the manual the other day and it literally tells you NOT to do that... Although i don't believe it causes any kind of damage if you are careful and slow, i still think it's the best method. Just FYI

I agree with the OP's original post, that is what I am doing now. Every service and sales advisor showed me their approved method to close the frunk (all different by the way), and it involved putting your hand or fist in the correct location, then pushing down pretty sharply to engage the latch. Like the OP, I've modified that a bit to simply press gradually down, and the latch will grab and do the rest. No doing CPR on the hood, which is what everybody at Tesla did when they showed me how to do it.

I have an S. The instructions in the manual are similar to yours I can put my full 190 lbs. on the hood and it still won’t close
, even though the hood flexes alarmingly. All the service people I have seen press down directly over the latchslowly until it clicks. This is pretty much the same thing some of you 3 owners are finding out.

I have an S. The instructions in the manual are similar to yours I can put my full 190 lbs. on the hood and it still won’t close
, even though the hood flexes alarmingly. All the service people I have seen press down directly over the latchslowly until it clicks. This is pretty much the same thing some of you 3 owners are finding out.

Yes, it works wonderfully!!

I'm surprised Tesla doesn't use an electric Self-Closing latch mechanism for the frunk found on many cars today (for doors, trunks, hoods, etc) that are in the same price class. (BTW, these latches are still manually operative even if power is cut.) It would prevent accidental (and expensive) repairs to the frunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: insaneoctane
There sure are a lot of threads on this! I hate closing the frunk

Just note:
1) Some frunks don't close correctly; they require enormous force. I'll let people know what the resolution is whenever the Mobile Ranger addresses mine. It's not the stoppers in my case. Mine requires enormous force (I have compared to several other Model 3s). Someone who is 100-110 pounds probably could not close the frunk. I suspect the position of the latch itself needs to be adjusted, since the hood sits a couple mm lower in the front as compared to any other Model 3. Seems similar to @Snerruc - his latch presumably needs to be repositioned, though from the post it appears he may be describing normal operation somehow.

2) Being slow and steady with pressure is important. You certainly don't want to push down hard quickly because the inertia of the hood will result in bending. You'll bend that hood beyond repair in an instant.

3) If you follow the procedure in the manual pictured above, with your hands slightly above the emblem on either side, the hood will bend under enough pressure! I've felt it on my hood (because I have to apply enormous force to get the latch to engage). I would not recommend that! I would recommend pushing closer to the edge of the hood, but not right next to the edge; NOTE: the manual specifically says not to do this. However, all I know is the hood bends and has no reinforcement in the location indicated in the manual. So I use the method that the people at the Tesla delivery center generally recommend. There appears to be some reinforcement an inch to half an inch below the Tesla emblem on either side. I haven't noticed bending when closing there, even in the case of my defective frunk latch - so there is margin in the hood strength, as long as you don't use inertia to your disadvantage.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
It's freakin' Crazy, isn't it? Mercedes uses the best self-closing latches, Elon sure needs to look into it. We owners know better, but imagine a third party roadside assistance guy at 2:30am not giving a hoot about your frunk hood!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Matt L

Someone closed the frunk on my prior S one time like this and creased the metal. I’d rather not chance it in the 3