Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNCDA goes after Tesla's manufacturing license in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, if such an animal as the CNCDA does indeed exist - and I'm assuming it does - I will say that, misguided as I believe they and their actions are, I cannot blame them for attempting to protect their constituents. So, seeking to request the DMV to chastise TM for that "ad" that I also find a touch exasperating is, for me, arguably appropriate.BUT - asking the Dep't of Motor Vehicles to revoke a manufacturing license? That's rich. So far beyond the pale that words fail. By the way, you Californian bureaucracy wonkers: just who (what diviosn of gov't) is it that provides such licenses in the first place?
They exist. I even know somebody who works there. He gets tired of defending Tesla around their offices.

I dunno about licenses or even if applicable.

They exist. I even know somebody who works there. He gets tired of defending Tesla around their offices.

I dunno about licenses or even if applicable.

I think overall this is not too bad a thing: Tesla is now in the news again and people start the discussion on "how much is it worth to you to never see a gas station ever again?" - that's a good discussion as it highlights a key advantage of Tesla. Then there is a "you can use the HOV lane - how much would you pay for that?" argument, too.
It also raises the question of "how can I be sure the resale value is as high after 3 years - oh, there is a guarantee?" - again a great piece of knowledge to spread.

So overall a number of key selling points raised - well done car dealers.

Attention fellow owners and enthusiasts,

It has come to my attention that the California New Car Dealers Association has filed a "false advertising" complaint against Tesla with the California DMV on September 16, 2013. The 20 page complaint, which can be viewed in PDF form here, includes screen shots from Tesla's "true cost of ownership" page, its financing calculator, as well as various order and configuration screens. CNADA claims that Tesla is "savings packing" in its representations, which CNADA claims violates state and federal law. CNADA is not asking for Tesla to change its advertising, instead it is asking the DMV to revoke Tesla's dealer and manufacturing license!
FWIW, I felt that the initial "advertising" and statements along w/the calculator early on were pretty shady. And, it was clearly a hook to get people interested. It got people talking who had no idea and never even visited the calculator page to look at their screwy "savings", most of which weren't Tesla specific and some weren't even EV/PHEV specific.

I haven't read the PDF yet, but if they're asking for what you italicized, that is nuts. That's going way too far.

But yes, this sounds like another case of a bunch of entrenched dealers again not being happy that they're being cut out by Tesla's sales model.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, if such an animal as the CNCDA does indeed exist - and I'm assuming it does
They do exist. See California New Car Dealers Association .

Yes they are real. As a matter of fact their front page shows this report we are talking about, and a piece CNBC did on it.

It also shows their lobbyist and all of the CA Congressmen/Reps they are meeting with. Gee I wonder what they are discussing.

Go have a look. See if your CA congressional person is being bought by these guys.

Congressional Rep. Julia Browning-CA meets with CNCDA Lobbyist, Cliff Costa and Brian Maas
Congressional Rep. Jared Huffman-CA meets with Brian Maas

Last edited:
"Last year, the Congressional Budget Office studied the efficacy of the federal tax
credit for electric vehicles and concluded that only 20% of potential tax filers
have the tax liability sufficient to qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit.10 By
including the tax credit in the advertised price quote for the vehicle, Tesla is
misleading 80% of the population of the actual purchase price of the vehicle, even
net of the federal tax credit"

Obviously way more than 20% of Tesla's market qualifies for the full tax credit. Some of the people in the market for a Leaf might run in to trouble, yet the big number of Nissan's site assumes the full credit. Same with the Volt although they have a nice little note next to the price.

Anyways, I don't think I've ever seen a dealership inform the buyer that the price does not include the cost of gas.

Well to be fair, I'm sure the thing that scares them is not Tesla Model S or X or even Gen III but the sales model. They are fighting tooth and nail to not be disintermediated. They will grasp at any weapon they can use, including straw.

Well to be fair, I'm sure the thing that scares them is not Tesla Model S or X or even Gen III but the sales model. They are fighting tooth and nail to not be disintermediated. They will grasp at any weapon they can use, including straw.

I think you are 100% right. Dealers should be scared ****less by Tesla's disruptive direct model.

But also to be fair, there are numerous things on the Tesla website that are deceptive and misleading. Could even say false. As a discerning consumer, almost every page on their site has objectionable material! Whether it violates whatever rules, I have no idea.

This company is so bipolar they make life interesting. Awesome product, but deceptive marketing. Great customer service, but the darn things needs a lot of customer service. Etc.

Don't think there's anything Tesla will have to be worried about, but it IS a sort of vindication for those of us who swam upstream and cried foul on Tesla's BS page in the early days of its release. I remember pages and pages of folks defending their mess, and pages of folks responding that it was only going to dirty their message/brand by using deceptive advertising. Now look where we are.

The delivery differences between 60/85/P are wrong.
The savings calculator uses bad gas and electricity price assumptions.
The price is quoted net of tax rebate. Some pages quoted without including delivery and fees (might be fixed now)
Warranty language is vague about what is covered.
I find the description of add-ons like the spoiler to be questionable (it's marketing, I get it)
I find it hard to believe 21 inch tires can extend range (I'm skeptical, but give them the benefit of the doubt)

And there's another long list about what is important and NOT said, but not going to go down that rabbit hole on this post.

The savings calculator uses bad gas and electricity price assumptions.
Yea, Tesla is underselling it. My electricity is MUCH cheaper than Tesla is estimating and I'm guessing premium gas will be more than the $4.90 Tesla is using.
I find it hard to believe 21 inch tires can extend range (I'm skeptical, but give them the benefit of the doubt)
Not sure where you're getting that info. Tesla claims the opposite, that 21" tires reduce range.

Yea, Tesla is underselling it. My electricity is MUCH cheaper than Tesla is estimating and I'm guessing premium gas will be more than the $4.90 Tesla is using.

Not sure where you're getting that info. Tesla claims the opposite, that 21" tires reduce range.

On the website Tesla claims P85+ 21" tires give a 6-12 mile range boost over regular 21" tires....

I think people who pay 11c for both supply AND delivery of electricity are pretty few.

Tesla uses $4.90 for premium gasoline, but that's just speculating about the future. Has no bearing on where gas has been, is today, or where the futures markets are pricing it over 3 years (as best I can tell). Obviously they are using a number tilted in their favor, and it's a major part of the $600 TCO splashed on their front page.

Maybe someone can also explain how taking them up on the resale guarantee (and paying a higher interest rate on the loan) is worth $375 / yr reduction in total cost of OWNERSHIP when they assume I'm going to return the car to them in 3 years. That sounds like total cost of Lessorship.

On the website Tesla claims P85+ 21" tires give a 6-12 mile range boost over regular 21" tires....

I think people who pay 11c for both supply AND delivery of electricity are pretty few.
Most of the Pacific Northwest has crazy cheap electricity. My night time rates are .0422 plus about .03 for delivery.

In some places, like Texas which is one of the most populated states in the nation, night time charging is free: Texas Energy Provider Gives Free Power at Night to Electric Car Owners | PluginCars.com

It's not the 21" tires that give the P85+ a range boost, though the wording isn't exactly clear on that, but rather it's the improved suspension.

As for gas, of course it's a speculation. Everything about the future is speculation, but that doesn't mean we can't estimate/extrapolate. The Shell station on the way home today was over $4.50 a gallon for premium.

Frustrating, but nothing bad is gonna happen in California.

a) Present (and past) Governor is a fan.
b) Tesla is probably one very few manufacturing success stories in recent years.
c) People all over North America are talking about this new car made in California.
d) 2,000 employees.
e) Californians love Model S; it's something like 25-35% of all sales are in that state.
f) Elon Musk lives there.
f) Tesla linked via Elon to SpaceX who also have 3,000 employees.
g) Solar City
h) popularity of dealerships

Most of the Pacific Northwest has crazy cheap electricity. My night time rates are .0422 plus about .03 for delivery.

In some places, like Texas which is one of the most populated states in the nation, night time charging is free: Texas Energy Provider Gives Free Power at Night to Electric Car Owners | PluginCars.com

It's not the 21" tires that give the P85+ a range boost, though the wording isn't exactly clear on that, but rather it's the improved suspension.

As for gas, of course it's a speculation. Everything about the future is speculation, but that doesn't mean we can't estimate/extrapolate. The Shell station on the way home today was over $4.50 a gallon for premium.

From their website:

"In addition to upgraded dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2), the rear tires are 20 mm wider and staggered for improved acceleration on low grip surfaces. Range improves 6 to 12 miles over regular 21" wheels."

You are probably right about the suspension. I'm a fascinated consumer, but not a car expert. I only know what I read on the website, which suggests the tires are the driver of the range performance. To a layman like me, the concept that better suspension etc. can add that much range while tires are wider (and apparently "gripping" better... suggesting friction... the nemesis of range) is hard to digest!

I'm jealous about your rates. Can I just fill up some batteries at night and discharge them to power my house during the day? :)

BTW, I'm definitely holding Tesla to a higher standard than the other companies. I enjoy following Tesla, and don't pay 10% as much attention to the competition (except the Volt). Maybe I would find objectionable stuff from others if I paid attention.

You are probably right about the suspension. I'm a fascinated consumer, but not a car expert. I only know what I read on the website, which suggests the tires are the driver of the range performance. To a layman like me, the concept that better suspension etc. can add that much range while tires are wider (and apparently "gripping" better... suggesting friction... the nemesis of range) is hard to digest!

Tread compounds and tire construction get better over time. It should be no surprise that those advancements expand the performance radar graph (all aspects of tire performance increase, not just one at the expense of others). This has happened many times in the past and is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. For any given level of tire technology, improvements in one area mean decreases in another, but when a new discovery is introduced every aspect of performance improves.