Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to coast drive happening this year for all FSD Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 4.59.11 PM.png

Interestingly Delphi claims to have done it in March 2015 (without LIDAR!).

I am more hopeful this time that it will really happen since autonomy investor day gave us concrete proof that Tesla has a working prototype of FSD. Based on the FSD demo we got, it is certainly possible that Tesla could do the coast to coast trip later this year.

I am more hopeful this time that it will really happen since autonomy investor day gave us concrete proof that Tesla has a working prototype of FSD. Based on the FSD demo we got, it is certainly possible that Tesla could do the coast to coast trip later this year.
I also believe it will happen. I don't think it will happen with zero disengagements (I'm not sure anyone has done that).
I am very skeptical that they'll release the software to the fleet though.

I also believe it will happen. I don't think it will happen with zero disengagements (I'm not sure anyone has done that).
I am very skeptical that they'll release the software to the fleet though.

Yeah, the trip will probably have disengagements. Musk is just promising to do the trip, not that the trip will have zero disengagements. Although, it will be interesting to see how many disengagements they have. On a trip that long, the number of disengagements could be our first clue to how good Tesla's FSD is.

I actually do think that Tesla could release the FSD software to the fleet though. If Tesla turned the AP nags on, I think they could release the FSD software to the fleet that way. That actually might be a good move because it ensure driver attention thus safety but having the FSD software running on the entire fleet "live", could give Tesla more data to accelerate FSD development.

Yeah, the trip will probably have disengagements. Musk is just promising to do the trip, not that the trip will have zero disengagements. Although, it will be interesting to see how many disengagements they have. On a trip that long, the number of disengagements could be our first clue to how good Tesla's FSD is.

I actually do think that Tesla could release the FSD software to the fleet though. If Tesla turned the AP nags on, I think they could release the FSD software to the fleet that way. That actually might be a good move because it ensure driver attention thus safety but having the FSD software running on the entire fleet "live", could give Tesla more data to accelerate FSD development.

Then it's called AP and not FSD. It's not self driving, much less FULL, if the owner is responsible for supervising it. Then it's just ADAS still.

Were you at the actual event? What kind of actual proof are you referring to?
From afar, aside from a lengthy explanation as to the how and what, the only new info regarding FSD is the video they uploaded.
I'd tend to dismiss that, considering they've already posted a video in late October 2016. Nothing that was shown in that video materialized in the time since.
And no autonomy day attendee made any mention to have seen significantly farther reaching functionality (even in this abstract wording - correct me if I'm wrong) after the event.

So I'm still sceptical. Not saying it's not going to happen (certainly hope so), just saying "I've seen videos before..."

Then it's called AP and not FSD. It's not self driving, much less FULL, if the owner is responsible for supervising it. Then it's just ADAS still.

Wrong. If the car is responsible for all the driving hands off including monitoring the environment and the driver is just there as a safety driver, it's full self driving.

Last edited: