Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold feet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced cold feet on the driver's side of the Model S? I've taken it in for service and they report that the climate control system is working fine, but the area near the pedals remains colder than the rest of the cabin, even when the heat is cranked up and set to the "feet" setting. It feels like there is a draft though there doesn't seem to be any air movement. I've tested the heat with a laser thermometer and the temperatures in the foot area are 10-20 degrees lower than the rest of the cabin or the passenger side. I'm in Northern California so it's never incredibly cold, but this is both strange and frustrating.

Yes. I was told the same thing -- it was working properly, but the airflow in drivers foot area was much less than the passenger side -- obviously not working correctly -- just have to keep asking to get them to fix it.

Depending on when your car was made, there may be a service bulletin to improve airflow that involves a new cover for the vents (this should only apply to older cars as new cars supposedly have this new part).

This SB fixed the issue in my 2013 car: SB-13-18-002 Footwell Cover Update for Improved Air Flow

Another cause might be a bad door or window seal, but those usually cause extra wind noise in addition to the heat leakage.

I also find the floor setting on the HVAC to be completely unacceptable in the 2015 model.

I recall that a programming change was made earlier to provide more air to the windshield because of fogging issues, but it seems they over compensated. When it is set to floor only, there is still a LOT of air coming out the defroster vents as well as the dash vents. The HVAC Auto setting is fine but please let us have full manual control.

I rarely if ever run Range Mode, but have noted the exact same thing as the other members -- the driver's side footwell receives much less heat than the passenger side does, and when it's cold enough outside it's impossible to warm up my toes if I'm coming in cold to a cold car.

I submitted a bug report via voice but I have a feeling they listen to those on Friday afternoons for fun... if it was still cold up here in Toronto I would now send an email but instead I'll just hope it is a software issue that is fixed by next winter :wink:

I've experienced the cold feet in my 2015 since delivery. I got some improvement with custom HVAC settings but still noticeably cold at my feet. I have noticed some wind noise but mostly from the small side glass and around the door. Since I've experienced it since 7.0 I don't think its software related in my case but I guess that is possible. I plan on having it checked when I go in for service this summer (perfect time to have my cold weather problem sorted out right :) ).

During an annual service, I asked the service center to look into a lack of airflow in the driver's side footwell (noting that the passenger side is fine). They inspected it and said it was normal. I quipped: "I guess I'll start wearing thicker socks".

At least it's warming up now. My lease is up in 2 years, so only 2 more winters to go!

I have the same issue. Just took delivery last week. The first day or two I thought maybe it was just me, but anytime the outside temp is below 60 and I'm in the car for more than 20 minutes I notice my toes are quite cold. Sounds like that's just the way it is, which is disappointing.