TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Collision avoidance in 6.1, do not get any warning...

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by joer00, Jan 16, 2015.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

I set the level to early, but even with a scary short distance to the front car I do not get any warning !

It should work with or without TACC on or ?

Am I missing some setting ?

2. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Same with me, went past some pedestrians with no warning.

3. tezzla

tezzla Member

I've probably seen the warning at least 5 times in the last week!

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I'm finding it is sort of hit or miss. I've had some pretty early alerts, particularly when a slower moving car cuts into my lane abrubtly. In some other cases, I feel like it fails to alert at all. My sense is that it is doesn't recognize stationary or very slowly moving targets like pedestrians. I also think under certain circumstances it gets confused about who is in my lane and who is not. On the whole, it does well with that, but I had one situation where it became convinced that a truck on an offramp that only had a single lane was no longer in my lane and it reacted very late when it finally realized that he was indeed in my lane.

5. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I'm having the opposite issue... I'm on 6.1 and have the advanced collision warning set to Medium, but in the past week or so I've received 3 incorrect warnings. I think they've all been in a parking garage, passing parked cars. I assume it somehow thinks the parked car is in my way although it isn't. Maybe this is a bug? Or maybe I need to lower the sensitivity?

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Collision avoidance only works with TACC on at the moment, I believe.

7. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

I have received many warnings from the Collision Avoidance. Mostly from when the TACC was misbehaving and stopping short, but I also received one when I was accelerating hard towards a slow moving car in order to pass a slightly-less-slow-moving car in the lane to the right of me, as far as I remember, TACC was disabled when I received this alert.

8. drsaab

drsaab Member

Yes same with me. Tacc was off for sure.

Never any pedestrian warnings yet.

9. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Mine has fired a few times. Once when a person in front of me slammed on the brakes, and once when a piece of cloth stuck to a barrier blew sideways towards my car as I passed. In both instances cruise was on.

10. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I had the erroneous warning happen again tonight while driving without TACC. Not sure why it went off. No cars nearby. I guess I need to mention this to the service center.

11. Woland

Woland Member

I had mine go off tonight in heavy rain and wind with the closest car at least 40 meters away and traveling at the same speed, in the same direction, as me. Not sure what to make of that.

12. GSP

GSP Member

For comparison, I drive a 2014 Volt with forward collision warning. I occasionally get false alarms, about 4-5 total in 12 months of driving. The false warnings occur in city driving, and I don't know what is triggering them. Perhaps oncoming traffic on curves.

It seems that the sate of the art needs to improve before the cars do the driving for us.

GSP

13. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

+1. We are a looong way from auto pilot!

14. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Not according the the updated Tesla website, you'd think it was available now :rolleyes:

15. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

My wife drives a 2014 Volvo XC60 with forward collision warning and in a year and a half and 16,000 miles, she's never had a false alarm. Good thing, too, as it also has an autobrake - meaning that it will automatically apply the brakes after warning you if you take no action and it thinks a collision is imminent. Reports of false alarms on the Volvo forums are rare. So it is possible to get this right.

16. R²B

R²B All Star

An easy way to get the warning if you want to see it....

Set the distance to Early.
    Follow behind a car and when it goes to make a right turn try and pass by the bumper closely as you go by. Should set off the warning.

17. meltoots

meltoots Member

What is the warning like?

I was wondering what the warning sounds or feels like?

Do the brakes fire off?

Is it an audible alert?
    Visual?

Never seen it, I and I have mine set to medium

18. Supercharged

Supercharged Banned

I have last year's model without the new autopilot features.
    Sounds like some of these new features cannot be trusted. Gimmicky perhaps?
    Would you really trust these features if your family members or friends were outside in front of the car?
    Just as happy with my car as is.

19. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

There are accidents/deaths every day caused by people not paying attention while driving. Why wouldn't you want every car on the road equipped with this? While it only plays a warning chime, that may get someone's attention so they can slam on the brakes and potentially save a life. Why make statements that it can't be trusted and is gimmicky?

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Vehicle autopilot functionality is still in the early days of development, whether Teslas or other manufacturers. I am impressed that it is as good as it is now, and I know that in a few years it will be much better. It will definitely save lives as it is implemented in more and more cars. I look forward to having it in my next Teslas, though they are likely years away!