Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My credit union said they can't do it because they're a non-profit so I'll have to wait for next year at tax time. The law says that you can assign the credit to the lender not the seller. I've seen other posts like Zaxxon's that if you finance through Tesla, they won't do it.

Definitely go to Colorado detail. They do tons of Tesla's and are very detailed oriented. Excellent work and friendly people. I have been lots of places with various cars and I have finally found a shop I trust.

Do they do good tint work? I don't think I am going to wrap but I would like to get the car tinted ASAP when the time comes for delivery.

If anyone has any other recommendations I would appreciate it.

That being said I am still waiting for an invite and I am a May-July window.

So, the partial wrap was going to be $1800 so I decided against it for now. I might shop around next week up north.

Copied from the 4/6 invites thread:

Delivered today! Super happy! Spent the evening just driving :D Put 200 miles on it today. AP started working at about 25 miles.

Very minor scratch on the rear bumper. They pointed it out to me or I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I don't think I'm going to risk a bad paint job from the body shop over it. There was a spot on the front spoiler that needed some detail work but it looks good after they touched it up.

Otherwise the delivery was smooth & pleasant. Very friendly staff at the SC.

It is actually not that terrible
Drive an Electric Car? One in Three States Now Charge You Extra

All states will have it eventually. I'm good with them thinking this through early on. I'm assuming it will go up too some time.

No, it's terrible. They can charge me for having an EV, or charge me for having a vehicle with tailpipe emissions. To do both (which Colorado does--check your registration receipt) is discriminatory.

In any event, the reason for these fees is supposedly to offset the loss in gasoline tax revenue (which is valid until states move to something that makes more sense than funding infrastructure via a tax on one particular fuel type--a tax which has been ignored for decades and is woefully insufficient to meet its stated goal), but there's no attempt to actually do that in an intelligent manner. Read the whole article you posted for a fuller explanation of why these are a terrible idea.

No, it's terrible. They can charge me for having an EV, or charge me for having a vehicle with tailpipe emissions. To do both (which Colorado does--check your registration receipt) is discriminatory.
I don't have an EV so can't check yet. I agree charging for tailpipe emissions isn't right, someone should raise enough stink about it so it changes :)

The article doesn't really say why its a bad idea to collect annual fees. Yes, EVs should be incentivized, but you do get Federal and state incentive...this helps. After that, we should be paying our fair share for road maintenance. Can't have free roads. Maybe ICEs aren't paying their fair share as well and that needs fixed as well...
Gas tax is somewhat fair in the sense that it penalizes you for the usage. But not for the weight of the car that contributes to the road damage.
Maybe a perfect solution would be the one where they charge all cars ICEs and EVs based on their mass as reported by manufacturer and actual odometer readings, the question is how to get the latter more frequently than during tag renewals. Maybe they calc upfront based on 12k/year assumption and refund/charge extra when you renew plates and they can check the odometer.

Last edited:
The article doesn't really say why its a bad idea to collect annual fees.

The better explanation is linked to via that article. The short version is that the gas tax hasn't been updated in a quarter-century and isn't close to enough to cover infrastructure costs given current MPG numbers. Therefore the issue isn't that a small number of cars don't buy gas, but that the overwhelming majority of cars don't buy enough gas. The solution isn't to add an annual fee to EVs (a total revenue stream that's a tiny blip in the face of the gas tax deficit)--it's to raise the gas tax so that gasoline vehicles are covering their share, and then consider adding some form of fee for EVs. Until that prerequisite piece of raising the gas tax happens, the effect of the EV fee is that it's trying to recoup a huge gap caused largely by gasoline vehicles by taxing EVs--the class of vehicles that we need to be heavily incentivizing.

From the Vox article:

As has been clear for many years, as a way of funding transportation infrastructure, gas taxes are both inadequate and hopelessly crude.

For one thing, as we’re seeing, it creates a perverse incentive for states to keep people burning gas, or to penalize them for burning less. If states are going to tax EV buyers for not buying gas, why not tax owners of fuel-efficient ICE vehicles for burning less gas? Why not tax bus passengers, bicyclists, or pedestrians? They’re not buying gas either, but they’re using the roads.

At the very least, we need a more fine-tuned user fee, based on VMT, vehicle weight, or some combination thereof.

Beyond that, we could stop thinking of transportation as roads-and-highways and start thinking more holistically about coordinated, multimodal transportation systems. We could be clear about the kind of systems we want, what they will do for us, and how much they will cost. And we could pay for them out of general tax revenue, since functional transportation systems benefit everyone. (I realize this is all an idle dream.)

Either way, if states aren’t willing to do anything innovative, at least they could raise the damn gas tax. Going after EV buyers is just a way of looting a constituency that is not yet big or organized enough to fight back. That won’t be true for long.

Yes, EVs should be incentivized, but you do get Federal and state incentive.

Indeed, which is all the more confusing, as the state grants an incentive and then takes part of it back--decide whether to incentivize it or not.

we should be paying our fair share for road maintenance. Can't have free roads. Maybe ICEs aren't paying their fair share as well and that needs fixed as well...

Exactly--the solution is to have all constituents pay their fair share. Currently that's not what's happening.

Gas tax is somewhat fair in the sense that it penalizes you for the usage. But not for the weight of the car that contributes to the road damage.
No, it doesn't take into account the weight of the car or its efficiency. It penalizes EVs for being efficient (no gas purchased, but annual fee) but incentivizes those with efficient gasoline vehicles (less gas tax paid, no annual fee). This is precisely wrong.

Anyway, sorry for the extended thread derail. This issue boils my blood. :)