Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room - M3 Performance AWD or non-Perf AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thx! CO Detail did a fantastic job. Steve and Jerry perfectionists!

Yeah I am thinking of giving them a call! Waiting for my black 3 awd. Have gone back and forth 20 times between P vs non-P debate. Wife is telling me today to stop killing your brain cells and change order to P tonight and stop reading the forums :)

I am a research geek so can't help reading and totally messing with my mind.

Went to the Littleton delivery center this morning and found the highest VIN I’ve seen posted. 85,531 built 8/2018. Also belonged to an Obsidian Black Metallic Performance Model 3 but didn’t have the PUP but did have white interior.

No Obsidian Black Metallic Performance Model 3’s with black interior unfortunately. Actually there weren’t any Performance 3’s with the PUP and black interior. Looks like I picked the one combo nobody wants, lol.

Attachments

• 5F7650A0-6090-4BEE-BD02-7D049111CD7A.jpeg
    5F7650A0-6090-4BEE-BD02-7D049111CD7A.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 8BB8B524-1EF3-49EF-AA24-F2C7F9871D73.jpeg
    8BB8B524-1EF3-49EF-AA24-F2C7F9871D73.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 467BF69B-5781-4354-AFCA-D1C157C7D802.jpeg
    467BF69B-5781-4354-AFCA-D1C157C7D802.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: SteveTack
How does Tesla handle sales tax/state registration fees here? Do we pay Tesla or do we register it ourselves and pay all the taxes then? This will be my first vehicle purchase in Colorado since moving here and I just want to be prepared for the process.

How does Tesla handle sales tax/state registration fees here? Do we pay Tesla or do we register it ourselves and pay all the taxes then? This will be my first vehicle purchase in Colorado since moving here and I just want to be prepared for the process.
Sales tax will be on your MVPA. Registration fees are paid at the DMV. Save one copy of the registration for taxes if you itemize.

Be prepared, your registration for the 1st year will be ~$1400. You can put it on a card for points but there is a 3% fee typically. Good news is I used a known P3D+ VIN and called Amica, my insurance company. Removing the BMW i3 (Lease ends in October) actually reduced my yearly premium by $100/year. I was pleasantly surprised. Even at a value of $75,000, lol.

Sales tax will be on your MVPA. Registration fees are paid at the DMV. Save one copy of the registration for taxes if you itemize.

Not so fast. I have been reading a lot of posts from people who say that Tesla is only collecting state and RTD taxes (4%). And that is what my current Order Summary shows on my Tesla account for my order. That leaves county and city taxes to be collected when you get to the DMV, along with ownership tax and registration fees.

A lot of people have been shocked to find that their total bill for taxes and registration at the DMV is higher than what they paid in taxes at delivery.

It's annoying to me, because Tesla's website says that they will collect all taxes and handle the registration for you in all states in which they're licensed to sell. They are licensed to sell in CO. But they're obviously not following that guideline.

Not so fast. I have been reading a lot of posts from people who say that Tesla is only collecting state and RTD taxes (4%). And that is what my current Order Summary shows on my Tesla account for my order. That leaves county and city taxes to be collected when you get to the DMV, along with ownership tax and registration fees.

A lot of people have been shocked to find that their total bill for taxes and registration at the DMV is higher than what they paid in taxes at delivery.

It's annoying to me, because Tesla's website says that they will collect all taxes and handle the registration for you in all states in which they're licensed to sell. They are licensed to sell in CO. But they're obviously not following that guideline.

Can anyone who has purchased confirm? It is really unclear to me why Tesla would do this. It’s also too bad that we can’t get the 5k at purchase when they dropped it from 6k and made it easier for everyone else.

I come from a state without ownership tax and when I found out about it I almost wept.

Can anyone who has purchased confirm? It is really unclear to me why Tesla would do this. It’s also too bad that we can’t get the 5k at purchase when they dropped it from 6k and made it easier for everyone else.

I come from a state without ownership tax and when I found out about it I almost wept.
I can confirm that my page only shows 4% tax, when I know my tax rate where I live is 7%. I've read other places that local and RTD taxes will be collected when you register.