Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important note...if this is your first time registering a car in Colorado, be prepared for some sticker shock. The Specific Ownership Tax for vehicles in Colorado is kind of bonkers... https://dmv.colorado.gov/sites/dmv/files/SOT Attachment - Tax Tables with Examples (1).pdf

So, for example, if you got a $64K MYP and it's brand new, expect to pay around $1344 + some other lesser fees at the time of registration.
wait. but i thought i already paid for this when i bought the car? My car was 63k, and I paid 67k to tesla. I thought that extra money was for title, tax and registration?

Did you move your veteran plate from an existing car and get new plates for the old car? Do I need to bring both cars to the DMV?
I had to provide proof of veteran status (I have the indicator on my drivers license but an ID card or DD214 also work). Don't know if you need to bring the old plates to get new ones issued with the same number. I didn't care about keeping the same number so I'm just getting new plates.

wait. but i thought i already paid for this when i bought the car? My car was 63k, and I paid 67k to tesla. I thought that extra money was for title, tax and registration?
You paid sales tax at purchase time along with some documentation fees for getting the paperwork to the state. Ownership tax is different and paid each year. Fortunately, it declines quite a bit after the first few years as shown in the link provided by @Avrana_Kern.

Reactions: Noflash
I had to provide proof of veteran status (I have the indicator on my drivers license but an ID card or DD214 also work). Don't know if you need to bring the old plates to get new ones issued with the same number. I didn't care about keeping the same number so I'm just getting new plates.

You paid sales tax at purchase time along with some documentation fees for getting the paperwork to the state. Ownership tax is different and paid each year. Fortunately, it declines quite a bit after the first few years as shown in the link provided by @Avrana_Kern.
Ah got it! thank you for the clarifaction!

Ordered our MYP in mid November, delivery was all over the map but settled on Dec 30-31st then the fire happened. On Monday it jumped to Feb 14-Mar14 and today I just got a text that pickup would be at the SC in Loveland.
Mine moved from September to February delivery. I did not want it this early. Anyone know how I can scoot this back without having to reorder?

Mine moved from September to February delivery. I did not want it this early. Anyone know how I can scoot this back without having to reorder?
Thats interesting. I don't seem to follow the logic honestly. What model did you order? You could remove an option, that'd extend the time for sure.... at least anything that reduces cost seems to add lead time.

Thats interesting. I don't seem to follow the logic honestly. What model did you order? You could remove an option, that'd extend the time for sure.... at least anything that reduces cost seems to add lead time.

Didn't have any options added. it was just a standard LR model Y white with black interior. Specifically didn't want early 2022 delivery window. not sure why tesla would move me up from Sept to Feb. chances are i'll either have to take delivery or cancel at this point.

Last edited:
Ordered our MYP in mid November, delivery was all over the map but settled on Dec 30-31st then the fire happened. On Monday it jumped to Feb 14-Mar14 and today I just got a text that pickup would be at the SC in Loveland.
Looks like today our Delivery changed to Jan 13-16th and got assigned a VIN. Also signed the Vision docs today.

I guess things change fast.

On the hunt for wheels/snow tires now I guess.

I ended up going with an 18" setup thru Les Schwab. They were awesome at trying to figure out a solution...most other places are backorderd on things and/or don't want to deal with the Tesla. Getting them installed tomorrow morning - little over $1800 out the door.
Been looking for 19" snow tires since early fall and there's not much out there unless you're willing to pay minibar prices.

• Funny
Reactions: Avrana_Kern
Long time lurker, first time caller.......

Finally got my VIN the other day, with a delivery timeline of 11/2-6th, in Loveland.

Update: so, I received my 'title ready' postcard last week of December (about 8 weeks after delivery)...went to my DMV in Weld County to order my personalized plates, and they're saying it could take 8+ weeks for them to come in. Final cost was a little over $1200.

MSM MYLR5 w/tow no FSD OD 11/29 EDD July, EDD changed today to 1/21-2/18
I ordered Tesla wall charger today; will be calling electrician shortly.
Looking to get DCU referral code for loan.
I've been watching the forums daily; I know things change quickly with EDD but I want to be prepared.
Pickup location is Superior as of now, that will probably change to Littleton.
Happy New Year!
Darn, my EDD just got moved back to July.