Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come here baby 2019.40.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Release notes

Attachments

• IMG_20191206_091049.jpg
    IMG_20191206_091049.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 350
I am curious about the adjacent lane speed feature. That is not a feature that we were expecting. It appears to be a useful improvement to the driving policy to help AP handle certain cases.

Yeah I have never heard this mentioned by Tesla, but myself I have thought about that from time to time. If my lane is clear or becomes clear, and my speed is set to 70, but the other lanes are going 25...ummm...you don't go 70. So I think the concept makes sense, and it's advancing a little more towards FSD. I am wondering how well it's going to perform in "real life". Because I've got autosteer swerving within my lane for trucks that are one and two lanes away. Seems like we might have an increase in unnecessary deceleration events, at least for a little while.

Yeah I have never heard this mentioned by Tesla, but myself I have thought about that from time to time. If my lane is clear or becomes clear, and my speed is set to 70, but the other lanes are going 25...ummm...you don't go 70. So I think the concept makes sense, and it's advancing a little more towards FSD. I am wondering how well it's going to perform in "real life". Because I've got autosteer swerving within my lane for trucks that are one and two lanes away. Seems like we might have an increase in unnecessary deceleration events, at least for a little while.

I'm curious how it would handle HOV lanes though. I don't want to match the speed of the regular lane if I'm in the HOV.

I got the update and will try on Monday. The lane speed adjustment is a pleasant surprise. It should be (if implemented correctly) definitely much safer than it shooting past the other lanes at twice the speed of traffic. Basically that's one less driver intervention needed.

I hope it doesn’t mess up traveling in the HOV lanes, which I do for ~40 miles a day each way. It is very common to be traveling 50-75mph with the adjacent lanes being 0-75mph as well. That could make for HOV traveling useless on TACC / NOA

Well it does....

Had my first commute on 40.2.1 today and as I suspected, but hoped would not be, did indeed happen. While using NOA in my 38 mile stretch of being in the HOV/PeachPass lane today the new “feature” that slows your car when traveling at a substantially higher speed totally screws up using NOA usage. Several times I was traveling at ~60Mph and the shaded arrows showed up in the adjacent lane and slowed my speed to <45mph. Traffic in front of me left me and the traffic behind me immediately went into rage mode. I had to take over and press the accelerator both times and after the second instance just clicked “off” NOA for the duration.

The new behavior of slowing the car when adjacent lanes are a bit slower is one of those “please take that feature off or make it user selectable”. It is obnoxiously terrible. Today I had an errand and had to take a different route home. In a mixed 4&5 lane standard highway with no HOV access I was going WITH the flow of traffic in the 2nd lane from the left. Traffic to the left was too fast for comfort and I was going with speed in my lane. If the right 2 lanes ever remotely slowed down TACC and / or NOA would drastically slow down even tho the cars ahead and behind me never slowed....with the exception of the people behind me getting furious when I slowed for no apparent reason.

This one needs a lot of work before it is easy for prime time. I truly wish Tesla had a reliable reporting method for new issues especially with new updates....

I observed that today as well. There are situations when you really need the car to slow down based on adjacent traffic and then there are other situations where you don't.

Sit 1 - ignore side traffic and continue at marked speed
Sit 2 - slow down just a lil bit but not as slow as side traffic
Sit 3 - slow down and match side traffic

I'm sure there are more situations that they need to add to my list above.

I observed that today as well. There are situations when you really need the car to slow down based on adjacent traffic and then there are other situations where you don't.

Sit 1 - ignore side traffic and continue at marked speed
Sit 2 - slow down just a lil bit but not as slow as side traffic
Sit 3 - slow down and match side traffic

I'm sure there are more situations that they need to add to my list above.
It is only a “real” issue when cars ahead and behind are traveling at a constant speed and TACC decides to drastically slow down brake checking the car(s) behind you.

• Love
Reactions: Curb71
It is only a “real” issue when cars ahead and behind are traveling at a constant speed and TACC decides to drastically slow down brake checking the car(s) behind you.

I find it really annoying that they messed with TACC.

I really don't understand what's so bad about the idea of leaving TACC as a very basic adaptive cruise control system. Where it expects the driver to take over when he/she wishes, and doesn't try to be smart.

All I want it to do is make minor adjustments to speed to maintain a set distance between me, and the vehicle in front of me. I don't want it to do anything special. In 99% of cases there is someone in front of me so it doesn't even need to do anything fancy.

I find it really annoying that they messed with TACC.

I really don't understand what's so bad about the idea of leaving TACC as a very basic adaptive cruise control system. Where it expects the driver to take over when he/she wishes, and doesn't try to be smart.

All I want it to do is make minor adjustments to speed to maintain a set distance between me, and the vehicle in front of me. I don't want it to do anything special. In 99% of cases there is someone in front of me so it doesn't even need to do anything fancy.

I so wish we had a way of enabling only a basic cruise with radar. Often that is all that is needed. Let the smart things only happen when on autopilot...

I would even appreciate an option to have dumb cruise without radar for when conditions are too bad for the system to figure out (snow storm). I had this option on the Prius Prime.

Last edited:
Interesting thing happened to me. I was on vacation (car in the garage back home) and I got a notice to update from 2019.36.2.1 to 2019.40.2 . I got the notification that the installation was complete. That was when it was first coming out. I was out of town and then otherwise not at my car for at least a week. By the time I got to my car today, I now have 2019.36.2.4 instead. So they rolled me back. I'm guessing the 2019.36.2.4 is the update where it tells you about premium connectivity, and 2019.40.2 had bugs and is now being superceded by 2019.40.2.1 .

Just received 2019.40.2.1 on a Norwegian model 3. I guess itshappening.gif!

Wipers have been an absolute *sugar* show with condensation in tunnels and salty hell-slush on the motorway, with AP panicking due to said condensation. Excited to see whether better auto wipers will keep AP going!

I so wish we had a way of enabling only a basic cruise with radar. Often that is all that is needed. Let the smart things only happen when on autopilot...

I would even appreciate an option to have dumb cruise without radar for when conditions are too bad for the system to figure out (snow storm). I had this option on the Prius Prime.

One tap on the autopilot stalk provides exactly what you’re asking for. Traffic aware radar cruise control with no autosteer.

One tap on the autopilot stalk provides exactly what you’re asking for. Traffic aware radar cruise control with no autosteer.
The TACC is still much too smart and reacts to all sorts of things it sees. I wish we had a dumber option that really just keeps its distance from cars in front without breaking or slowing for shadows or whatever it sees.