Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come here baby 2019.40.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TACC is still much too smart and reacts to all sorts of things it sees. I wish we had a dumber option that really just keeps its distance from cars in front without breaking or slowing for shadows or whatever it sees.
100% agreed. I get tons of phantom braking events due to nothing at all when all I really want is for it to keep a speed. Save the AP camera detection stuff for AP, please.

So I guess the car fixed itself, I now have 2019.40.2.1 . I took it around the neighborhood and noticed the TACC being able to set lower speeds. Interestingly it needs to be at 10mph to turn on cruise, where as before it was 18mph. So you drive over 10mph, turn on cruise, and then you can adjust speed all the way down to 0mph if you want to. It seems to do ok in a neighborhood, but it can still "lock on" to parked cars and stop, requiring intervention.

The Release Notes say Stop Signs can now be recognized. I just had my 2018 MS upgraded from HW 2.5 to 3.0, and It does well with construction cones, showing all of them near the car. I was hoping to see the same with stop signs. On a section of town with quiet streets, little traffic, I approached a total of 6 stop signs.
All were clearly visible. The car ignored them all, no indication on the cartoon screen and no alerts as I moved past the signs before stopping.

Yeah I have never heard this mentioned by Tesla, but myself I have thought about that from time to time. If my lane is clear or becomes clear, and my speed is set to 70, but the other lanes are going 25...ummm...you don't go 70. So I think the concept makes sense, and it's advancing a little more towards FSD. I am wondering how well it's going to perform in "real life". Because I've got autosteer swerving within my lane for trucks that are one and two lanes away. Seems like we might have an increase in unnecessary deceleration events, at least for a little while.

So glad to see they finally are adressing those huge launches when everyone around you is slowing down for the traffic right up ahead... that would terrify my wife, and I’d at times have my heart in my throat for a couple of seconds, or until I jumped on the break. That was a really bad behavior. I wont miss it!

• Funny
Reactions: Curb71
This release also claims to have improved deep neural net for the windshield wipers. We had some good rain a few days ago in
Los Angeles area, but none right now. Looking forward to trying this as well.
They need a deep neural net to get windshield wipers to work properly? Use a reliable rain sensor like every other vehicle manufacturer. Tesla can be so smart and yet so brain dead at the same time.

Initial reaction for those changes I was able to test.
  • Stop sign warning worked the only time I tried it. Decreased NoA speed to 2 and started to roll thru the stop sign and got the large flashing warning to take over.
  • Lane changes were certainly more aggressive as others have reported. Will need to wait until rush hour traffic to better asses how it works. Seemed better.
  • For the first time ever I was able to take a fairly sharp left hand sweeping curve at 20mph. While it wasn't smooth and needs improvement at least it didn't take me across the oncoming lane directly towards the sidewalk which is has always done for every upgrade in the past year.
  • Jury is still out on the wipers. Rained throughout my 30 minute ride and didn't notice much difference. At least they worked but still a mixed bag IMO.
  • On a fairly sharp exit ramp the car handled the ramp much better and at a higher but still reasonable speed. This has been one of my biggest complaints so will be interesting to see how well exits work on my commute tomorrow.
  • Radio worked without having to reboot the display which I've had to do the last 5 upgrades.
  • Moved across 2 lane changes to take and exit without getting confused with fairly poor lane markings. In the past it would over 2 lanes, get confused with the lane markings and swerve back one lane requiring me to take over. Tonight I prepared to take over as usual but didn't need to. Nice change.
  • Didn't encounter the adjacent lane scenario to see how it worked.

When I received 40.2.1 M3 MR HW2.5 the only features listed were the Automatic Wipers, and supercharger increase to 200KW. But not the stop sign, lane change and adjacent lanes updates.

I believe this is because I don’t have AP or FSD and none of these are considered safety, but they might be for TACC. Those of you who have AP but no FSD did you receive stop sign, Lane change and adjacent lane updates?

I am debating on paying 3k for AP and whether I get enough features with TACC and AS. Unfortunately FSD totaling 10k is not in my budget, as cool as it will be.

Slower lanes? That’s not what we need in Europe. In Germany it is really dangerous that the Tesla moves to faster lanes in same speed as before and is accelerating way to late. So we need the feature the other way around. Moving to much faster lanes is the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This release also claims to have improved deep neural net for the windshield wipers. We had some good rain a few days ago in
Los Angeles area, but none right now. Looking forward to trying this as well.

It's been raining in Norway for the past few days. The new wiper logic is so much better. Not perfect - but gone from almost not usable to working well most of the time. In a thin drizzle the wiping was perfect. But in heavy sleet it needed a few nudges.

Similar rainy trips get different behaviour. I wonder if the sensors sometimes gets misty or something making it difficult for it to see what is going on.

But all in all - a much better system!

When I received 40.2.1 M3 MR HW2.5 the only features listed were the Automatic Wipers, and supercharger increase to 200KW. But not the stop sign, lane change and adjacent lanes updates.

I believe this is because I don’t have AP or FSD and none of these are considered safety, but they might be for TACC. Those of you who have AP but no FSD did you receive stop sign, Lane change and adjacent lane updates?

I am debating on paying 3k for AP and whether I get enough features with TACC and AS. Unfortunately FSD totaling 10k is not in my budget, as cool as it will be.
I have AP HW2.5 but have not received the new update. I am curious for this answer as well. Would love to have the lane change as it's a royal PIA every time you change lanes.

Hopefully someone chimes in.

AP 2 / MCU 1 S75D, Europe

I have received the update today, release notes mention "Automatic wiper improvements" and "Automatic Land Change Improvements". Quick drive on a rainy day did show improvement of the automatic wipers (they seem to wipe more reliably).

What's also new is the ugly "PASSENGER AIRBAG ON" in the top right corner of the MCU. If that's a legal requirement, I can't figure out for the life of me why they added that only now..