Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Come on down! You're the next contestant on The Autopilot-Release-Date Is Right...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think in the best case will be "several weeks" after the first Xs are revealed/delivered. Tesla won't want to risk any rollout/edge case/minor bugs/disappointments being widely reported and overshadowing their carefully crafted event for the few (20-ish) X deliveries. All the more separation likely if the X comes with additional sensor hardware. Hope I'm wrong, but I fear there is significantly more waiting required....

30th September. That way the pain of learning of all the cool new Autopilot Gen 1.5 stuff the Model X can do will be balanced by having Gen 1.0 autopilot for the Model S

Taken.

What happens if the X can do it on delivery, and the S still cannot?

Well, this contest is for the Model S. And if the X can do it at delivery, it's not really a software update that enables it like we've been guessing on here.

That said, if the X does indeed ship with autopilot lane keeping enabled, and my Model S still doesn't have this feature enabled.............. the phrase "there will be hell to pay" comes to mind.

what IF the X can do it because it has more or better sensors than S?

If that happens, then, frankly, Tesla is just very crappy company that doesn't give a damn about their customers. If they haven't even delivered version 1 to customers who have paid for the feature 9 months ago and they start delivering v2+ of the hardware/software to other customers then that is as close to a literal slap in the face as they could do to their existing customers. I for one would never again support such a company.

But, on topic, it would have no bearing on this contest.

I simultaneously think that they have to release lane-keeping for the S at the same time as they do for the X and that they really have to implement lane-keeping with the release of the X, so I'm thinking that my early October date is likely to be just a bit too late.

The early access program has not released the update to the early access cars, so it ain't ready yet. That will need to happen first. Then modification for general release. Than release to all. So we have to wait longer.

I believe it will Dec 15th, 2015 is my guess. Thanks

That is not what I said. I was guessing a date for release of autopilot to the public. I based my guess on beta testing. I wasn't commenting on what type of beta testing that may or may not have been released.

So what you are saying is that they released 7.0 to the early access (beta) testers, but without lane holding? That would be, ah, interesting... Not a good sign, if true.

That is not what I said. I was guessing a date for release of autopilot to the public. I based my guess on beta testing. I wasn't commenting on what type of beta testing that may or may not have been released.

I hope you're just trolling. Elon gave a specific date that the beta would start. We've seen leaks with cars running v7.0, one of which was definitely from an EAP owner. Granted, we have no confirmation that auto-steering is in that release.

Hope the contest can carry on. It was a neat idea.

And why is Jason banned? I must have missed that!?
Edit:Never mind, read all the threads now. :)
I read all the threads and I'm not even entirely sure. I've gotten repeatedly (as in 5-10 times over the period of a week) cussed out on here by a member before, with follow-up harassment by PM, and he wasn't banned. The posts got moved to snippiness and everyone went about their day.

And here we have what was an inappropriate, but tame, comment (or series of comments) that led to a ban of a far more productive member. The only difference I really see is one was way more pro-Tesla than the other. I'm truly shocked which of those two users received harsher treatment. Shocked.