Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the reasoning behind the aftermarket mirrors since there is no blind spot if you know how to properly adjust side mirror.

Side mirrors on Teslas don't show much of blind spot on busy highways. With having these aftermarket wide angle view mirrors, you won't need to turn your head 90 degrees left or right, or look at the display once you engage the turn signal. One of those things once you have it, you will never look back, just sharing my experience for the past a year and a half.

Last edited:
We must be talking about different mirrors because the OE mirrors on my 2020 LRMY provide tunnel vision. The mirrors are smaller than the mirrors on other vehicles I have owned and for whatever reason the angle of view is limited. I know how to adjust my mirrors properly; the factory mirrors just don't make the grade for me. Enough Tesla owners agree that the mirrors are not up to the task that Suma Performance, other sellers are making good money selling replacement mirrors for the Tesla Model 3, Model Y.
I have no problems. I have had vehicles with larger mirrors and smaller mirrors. It all depends on how one can adjust.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I have no problems. I have had vehicles with larger mirrors and smaller mirrors. It all depends on how one can adjust.
I generally agree - I adjust my driver’s mirror so it’s further out than what’s typical but the edge of the mirror’s field picks up right where the rear view mirror ends. That also makes it so the side mirror’s field ends right where my peripheral vision picks up when I turn my head to look in the mirror. This setup does a much better job of covering the blind spot.

The one caveat with my Model Y is it has a horribly constricted view out the back. In general that’s less of a concern than the blind spot, though.

Reactions: enemji
We don't own a Model Y, but I am pretty keenly attuned to suspension settings (much to my wife's angst as I go on and on and on about NVH, etc.). Anyway, we have test driven a Model Y Performance in the past and even Turo'd a MYLR (w the 20" induction rims) for 2 days (put 200 miles on it). The MYP (2021?) I test drove was, well, not good with regard to suspension. I took it on my local "test roads" and it was almost comically bad...the washboard surface road really set off the boominess and buffeting and it just had an excessive amount of head toss and was just busy...fatiguing. The MYLR on 20s was driven a while later (still a year ago). It was definitely better than the MYP - still not great, but a decent notch better. At one point I hopped in the rear seat while my wife drove...yeah, not fun back there. The MYP has a lower suspension, but I think it is valved slightly firmer too - when you combine that with the 21s...well, not good.

Flash forward to this past weekend and I test drive a 2023 MYP (January build). I snapped a pick of the rear shock # and it was the latest "F" revision per the EPC catalog. It was still firm - really too firm and too busy. HOWEVER, on my "washboard surface test road" there was no denying it was better than the last MYP I drove. The old MYP just tossed and boomed/buffeted the whole time. The 2023, conversely, only did it on the worst sections (note: I even pulled over and quickly adjusted the hatch stops to try to get it a bit better - could not...only had a 30 minutes for test drive!). So, it does appear to be a noticeable amount better, but I could see where some people might not notice it unless you were doing some back to back tests on the same segments (or were obsessed with suspension feel like me). Tomorrow, I am scheduled to test drive again...but this time a 2023 MYLR with the 19" Gemini wheels - "theoretically" the smoothest combo. I say "theoretically" as tire pressure, tire compound, sidewall stiffness, etc. all come into play here. Indeed, I replaced the older DWS06 tires on our Volvo XC60 with the latest DWS06+ and it definitely feels smoother (admittedly, there is more new rubber there so....yeah...variables).

Finally, I have some similar experience with our Volvo XC60 R-Design. The Volvo had 17, 18, 19 and 20" wheel options. The R-Design had the 20" wheels and sport suspension. I knew right when we got it it rode too firm. After 90 days I had paid analyzed the ride to death and determined 90% of the problem was with the rear suspension. So, I ordered the base touring suspension rear springs and shocks, climbed underneath and swapped the sport springs/shocks for the base touring units...best....move...ever. Zero regrets. For those of you with older cars, no need to "buy a new one" IMO. If you do a test drive of a new one, I suggest finding a road near the test drive location that is marginal. Drive to the appointment in your Model Y, drive on that road, and then take the new car out on the same road for back-to-back comparison. IF you believe there is a decent difference, consider just buying new suspension components (struts, shocks, and springs) and swapping them over (or paying your favorite shop to - there is nothing Tesla specific in these parts of the car. Heck, I might even suggest starting with the REAR first and just do the shocks and springs (note: I am assuming Tesla changed the springs too...but it may have just been the dampers). You MYP guys can take it a step further if you are willing to give up the slight drop - you could put the regular dual motor shocks/springs in there (i.e. what I basically did on my Volvo).

Just my .02!
Were you able to take the follow-up test drive in the MYLR with 19” Geminis? I’d be curious about what you found.

See posts 62, 79 and 97 in this thread for my three test drives...there are any number of other posts along the way too.
V. helpful reviews! I wish you also got to test drive MYLR w/ 20" wheels – feel like it might have given you the perfect 'middleground'. Drivability close to that of MYP, because of the sportier, more-connected-to-road tires, and much less wallow-ing compared to 19" MYLR?

V. helpful reviews! I wish you also got to test drive MYLR w/ 20" wheels – feel like it might have given you the perfect 'middleground'. Drivability close to that of MYP, because of the sportier, more-connected-to-road tires, and much less wallow-ing compared to 19" MYLR?
If I had to guess, I would say the 20" LR would feel a lot closer to the 19" LR than the 21" MYP - for better and worse. Suspensions, in my experience, make more of a difference than tires in terms of general ride and road feel.

See posts 62, 79 and 97 in this thread for my three test drives...there are any number of other posts along the way too.
V. helpful reviews! I wish you also got to try MYLR with 20" wheels – I feel like it might have given you the perfect middleground, between drivability of MYP and much less wallow-ing compared to MYLR 19"

I would certainly agree here. A test drive, riding with a friend or family member.. or even a weekend rental is far different than actual ownership. It's obvious that any of those rides are shorter than your combined total commute, but most importantly, its the routine of driving the same exact same commute daily, you realize the actual differences from A to B. I know where all the bumps in the road are. I even know which lane Im usually in to avoid them.

I say as a person who literally just took my OEM 20" Induction/Goodyear F1 wheel/tire combo off my 2021 Model Y which was installed prior to delivery... and installed the OEM 19" Gemini/Continental ProContact that I bought slightly used off a 2023 Model Y. I took my first long drive in the car this morning and was able to drive about 60 miles using my same daily commute.

While the ride on the smaller 19" wheels with the larger 45 ratio sidewall is certainly more cushioned. There is still not a dramatic difference in overall feel. I guess I would say the car feels 10% smoother if I had to number on it. The sharp thud of bigger potholes and asphalt patches are still there.. and so are the annoying little rattles and squeaks in the vehicle when driving over anything but pavement that is as smooth as glass. I expected a bit more going from the slimmer 20" OEM setup.. to the thicker 19" setup. That said I'll continue to monitor the differences.. as this 60 miles drive is one that I take daily and have done for the past year.

At this point, I've just accepted this is the way this car drives and do my best to avoid larger patches of road imperfections. I still very much enjoy driving the car and the overall experience. I still think Tesla provides the best overall EV experience. That said I don't myself buying another Model Y until these types of issues are firmly addressed & the ride/noise has significantly improved. My wife owns an ID.4 which I drive a few times a month.. and the difference in ride quality & noise isolation is literally night and day. It's actually a bit embarrassing that the ride on the Model Y is so unrefined considering the price, features, and technology.
This was v. helpful, ty! It must’ve been longer while since you swapped – any more thoughts on the ride quality difference after putting on 19” ones? Were you able to play around with tire pressure, and if so did it have any additional affect?

I have a 23 MY LR got it Dec 31st lol still salty about the price drops.... but eh.
I am not happy with suspension. I feel vibrations thru the steering wheel like no other car I owned. Including 2018 M3 LR. Do you feel the vibration at Hwy speeds of 70+mph. Even my crappy 2008 Honda accord doesn't do this with 200k miles

I did balancing, removed Foam from tires, had alignment done (which was way off from factory)....Then today bought new tires and still have the vibration in the steering wheel.

Im pretty upset for 2023 MY LR should not have this issue. SC told me this is normal, I laughed at the tech and called out his BS.
I think there is Clear production issue. My mothers MY is not having this problem also a 2023 MY LR but from Austin.

So either its suspension issue.... or the actual Rims are bad.

My neighbor has a 2021 MY might drive his and see if the vibration is there. If Not... then def we have defected cars and need to force Tesla to address the issues. Weather its Suspension or Rims.

I have a 23 MY LR got it Dec 31st lol still salty about the price drops.... but eh.
I am not happy with suspension. I feel vibrations thru the steering wheel like no other car I owned. Including 2018 M3 LR. Do you feel the vibration at Hwy speeds of 70+mph. Even my crappy 2008 Honda accord doesn't do this with 200k miles

I did balancing, removed Foam from tires, had alignment done (which was way off from factory)....Then today bought new tires and still have the vibration in the steering wheel.

Im pretty upset for 2023 MY LR should not have this issue. SC told me this is normal, I laughed at the tech and called out his BS.
I think there is Clear production issue. My mothers MY is not having this problem also a 2023 MY LR but from Austin.

My neighbor has a 2021 MY might drive his and see if the vibration is there. If Not... then def we have defected cars and need to force Tesla to address the issues. Weather its Suspension or Rims.
Have you investigated having a tire shop perform road force balancing of the wheels, tires on your Model Y.

Pat Goss (R.I.P.) explains:

Reactions: Wordslayer

Why would you rip the foam out of the tires? How would that make it better.

Here is a few things that you can check for your steering wheel vibration issue:

1. Tire/wheel balance (Road Force)
2. Worn out bushings in LCA, UCA, UBJ, LBJ, etc.
3. Tie rod ends play/damage
4. Drive shafts play/damage
5. Accident (curbed wheel, pot holes, etc.)

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe