Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, just rode in my friend's 2023 MYLR last night and it felt exactly as you reported. Very busy and a disconnect between the car and road.

Can't say this is an improvement over the old suspension.

Agree. The LR is now too bouncy to be comfortable but also too soft to be sporty. If we don't trade it in next year on a Rivian, we will look into replacing the dampers, though I'm not thrilled about opening myself up to warranty risk.

Agree. The LR is now too bouncy to be comfortable but also too soft to be sporty. If we don't trade it in next year on a Rivian, we will look into replacing the dampers, though I'm not thrilled about opening myself up to warranty risk.
You'd only be jeopardizing the warranty of the suspension components themselves, and replacing the dampers are the big $$ item anyway. If a sway bar link fails in-warranty and they deny coverage, small price to pay if you can actually enjoy the car on aftermarket dampers for many years.

You'd only be jeopardizing the warranty of the suspension components themselves, and replacing the dampers are the big $$ item anyway. If a sway bar link fails in-warranty and they deny coverage, small price to pay if you can actually enjoy the car on aftermarket dampers for many years.

Youtuber Ryan Shaw installed the MPP comfort suspension on his Model Y. His drive motor blew up apart and Tesla denied his warranty coverage due to having his suspension installed. The drive unit would normally be covered under the 8 year 120k mile warranty.

It's in this video:

Youtuber Ryan Shaw installed the MPP comfort suspension on his Model Y. His drive motor blew up apart and Tesla denied his warranty coverage due to having his suspension installed. The drive unit would normally be covered under the 8 year 120k mile warranty.

It's in this video:

I was definitely too general in my statement, yes. But, this was definitely a freak occurrence, and if you look at the history of the car, it was clearly jumped and abused, with the potential for someone not installing the drive axle properly. That CV joint had something happen to it that an aftermarket suspension alone would not normally cause.

Sure, it's possible that an aftermarket suspension can affect other items' warranty, but with what happened to Ryan's car, it was much more likely to happen due to the abusive driving that it had to deal with its whole life.

I was definitely too general in my statement, yes. But, this was definitely a freak occurrence, and if you look at the history of the car, it was clearly jumped and abused, with the potential for someone not installing the drive axle properly. That CV joint had something happen to it that an aftermarket suspension alone would not normally cause.

Sure, it's possible that an aftermarket suspension can affect other items' warranty, but with what happened to Ryan's car, it was much more likely to happen due to the abusive driving that it had to deal with its whole life.

I agree, the problem was likely due to abuse. But the fact remains that Tesla did cite the aftermarket suspension and that the axle must have been improperly reinstalled during the upgrade as a reason to deny coverage. Most dealerships do this. Keep it stock until the warranty is over.

Reactions: jsight
I agree, the problem was likely due to abuse. But the fact remains that Tesla did cite the aftermarket suspension and that the axle must have been improperly reinstalled during the upgrade as a reason to deny coverage. Most dealerships do this. Keep it stock until the warranty is over.

I agree, I think the second you swap out pretty much any suspension component, you're opening yourself up to Tesla denying warranty on the front and rear drive units, simply because they figure they can get away with it. Swapping out for lightweight 18s with more sidewall is a much lower risk option.

Reactions: jsight
This is why I'm still on the fence about Tein dampers vs. 2023 Dampers... I can swap them both out just as easily, but the 2023 dampers won't even be noticed if something warranty-related ever comes up. But the Teins are going to be more comfortable... I guess I could swap my stockers back in when the control arms inevitably start to squeak. :)

It's in this video:
Man… Ryan has sure had some bad luck with his Turo Tesla’s. A few years ago his red Model Y got rear ended.

For me, the answer is Yes. It’s not harsh, but definitely is bouncy. After reading another post where they were hauling about 600 pounds of cargo in the trunk and noted how the ride improved, I decided to do a test of my own to see if a little extra weight would improve the ride. I already had a Modern spare in the rear which weighs around 25-30 lbs. To that I added 2 bags of Costco-size Miracle Grow potting/garden soil, each of which weighs about 45-50 lbs. So about 125 lbs of extra weight in total. Well the ride improved dramatically! Much more “planted”, pun intended, and much more to my liking. Gonna try some different weight combos with some also in the frunk. Realizing that the added weight will cost some range efficiently, I’m more than willing to make the trade-off.

For me, the answer is Yes. It’s not harsh, but definitely is bouncy. After reading another post where they were hauling about 600 pounds of cargo in the trunk and noted how the ride improved, I decided to do a test of my own to see if a little extra weight would improve the ride. I already had a Modern spare in the rear which weighs around 25-30 lbs. To that I added 2 bags of Costco-size Miracle Grow potting/garden soil, each of which weighs about 45-50 lbs. So about 125 lbs of extra weight in total. Well the ride improved dramatically! Much more “planted”, pun intended, and much more to my liking. Gonna try some different weight combos with some also in the frunk. Realizing that the added weight will cost some range efficiently, I’m more than willing to make the trade-off.
maybe trading in your Tesla for something else will be more logical solution.

I did a low cost, warranty preserving, massive improvement to my 2020 MY ride when my tires wore out. Taller tires (255/50r19) at 37 PSI. (The large air volume doesn't need as much pressure. The 42 --> 37 PSI drop does a lot.)

I did a low cost, warranty preserving, massive improvement to my 2020 MY ride when my tires wore out. Taller tires (255/50r19) at 37 PSI. (The large air volume doesn't need as much pressure. The 42 --> 37 PSI drop does a lot.)
I am a fan of taller sidewalls to help absorb shocks, etc. I'm not worried about 'sticking to the road' as I drive in a (mostly)sane manner.

I have noticed that the MYLR has a very large contact on the road compared to other EVs I see. Maybe that helps distribute the weight, but other EVs don't seem to have that problem. The Mach-E for example has 225 width on their 19" wheels. Much thinner. That will usually produce less road noise.

-- Is the range affected in any way?
-- Is the lower pressure within spec so that the sensors aren't triggered?

Thanks.

I am a fan of taller sidewalls to help absorb shocks, etc. I'm not worried about 'sticking to the road' as I drive in a (mostly)sane manner.

I have noticed that the MYLR has a very large contact on the road compared to other EVs I see. Maybe that helps distribute the weight, but other EVs don't seem to have that problem. The Mach-E for example has 225 width on their 19" wheels. Much thinner. That will usually produce less road noise.

-- Is the range affected in any way?
-- Is the lower pressure within spec so that the sensors aren't triggered?

Thanks.
I believe the sensors turn on at 35. I know they aren't on at 36.

I don't see significant range degradation at 37 PSI. I suspect the efficiency is a bit lower, but I'd trade the quieter softer ride for a bit of efficiency any day.

I likely try 35 PSI sometime, but am pretty happy at 37.

Reactions: m d g
I believe the sensors turn on at 35. I know they aren't on at 36.

I don't see significant range degradation at 37 PSI. I suspect the efficiency is a bit lower, but I'd trade the quieter softer ride for a bit of efficiency any day.

I likely try 35 PSI sometime, but am pretty happy at 37.
Be aware that the load rating for XL tires is only valid for the recommended pressure. I'll leave it up to everyone to make their own choice when doing this, but bear that in mind.

My wife and I test drove a Model Y Performance on Saturday. She has been driving her 2018 Model 3 RWD on 19s for 5 years. That car rides like it has no suspension whatsoever. You can feel every tiny road imperfection and the best word to describe the ride is jarring. I still can't believe my wife hasn't been complaining about the harsh ride in the 3, but she's all in on Tesla and won't even consider a car from another manufacturer. Compared to the Model 3, the Model Y Performance rode like we were on a cloud - sporty and firm, but still very smooth.

Reactions: Umar96 and Noflash
I did a test drive of a MY LR last week, and agree with other posters that the suspension is improved a lot. In particular compared to my early production 2020 MY LR (Gemini replaced with Replika 241/Vredestein Quatrac Pro), which was terrible. Though it seems the suspension was improved a bit already later in 2020 as others who bought their Y later say it's not that bad.

I got the Unplugged Performance coilovers on the 2020 MY, which was an incredible improvement. But I probably wouldn't bother doing that with the 2023 suspension.