Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One quite appropriate post from that blog (last one I promise): December 2016 when SpaceX won a COTS program award.
Kwajalein Atoll and Rockets: A picture says a thousand words...
cots6_large.jpg

Yup, count hem: 7 seats. Still the current crew capacity. Just not on NASA flights which are limited to 4.

Some of the comments at the bottom of some posts did not age well...

Last edited:
And here's the written summary: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-and-boeing-complete-orbital-flight-test-reviews

No date yet for a re-run of the test mission. They found software errors, testing errors, RF engineering errors, process errors, etc. The connectivity issues seems to have been related to both bad RF hardware design as well as bad antenna selection algorithms. Most of the recommendations dealt with process issues, which to me means problems when one subcontractor hands off code/hardware/subsystems to another contractor. That kind of problem occurs much less frequently in SpaceX since they have far fewer subcontractors (and those they do have, the interfaces are comparatively simple and well understood).

The big "bazinga" was when they were asked if NASA scrutinized SpaceX more than they checked on Boeing and the answer was a, not surprising, YES.

oh wow. Just to clarify, the question was about the time period before the mishap, right? So, this was a specific review of the Boeing incident. Did anyone ask if Boeing is going to get a full organizational review like SpaceX got?

Reactions: Grendal
oh wow. Just to clarify, the question was about the time period before the mishap, right? So, this was a specific review of the Boeing incident. Did anyone ask if Boeing is going to get a full organizational review like SpaceX got?
Not sure if you're referring to the simultaneous SpaceX/Boeing "cultural assessment study" that began after the Joe Rogan podcast in November 2018. Without much notice it was completed in October 2019. As the joint review with NASA wrapped up Bridenstine was quoted in an article published by CNBC.

“It’s really for SpaceX, I mean, it is a safety review for them. If they want to make it public, I think that they should do that,” Bridenstine added.
He emphasized that he doesn’t think “there’s much a story there” in the results of the safety reviews.
“Quite frankly, I think both companies are operating really responsibly, and making sure that their cultures are safe,” Bridenstine said. “And so, as we get close to launching astronauts on rockets again, it’s not just NASA that needs to be safe, it’s our commercial partners that need to be safe.”

His first statement was revealing. What I heard is, "We checked out SpaceX thoroughly, but Boeing.....maybe not as much." For their part SpaceX undoubtedly dug in while participating in the review. Boeing might not have taken it as seriously.

Last edited:
Not sure if you're referring to the simultaneous SpaceX/Boeing "cultural assessment study" that began after the Joe Rogan podcast in November 2018. Without much notice it was completed in October 2019. As the joint review with NASA wrapped up Bridenstine was quoted in an article published by CNBC.

“It’s really for SpaceX, I mean, it is a safety review for them. If they want to make it public, I think that they should do that,” Bridenstine added.
He emphasized that he doesn’t think “there’s much a story there” in the results of the safety reviews.
“Quite frankly, I think both companies are operating really responsibly, and making sure that their cultures are safe,” Bridenstine said. “And so, as we get close to launching astronauts on rockets again, it’s not just NASA that needs to be safe, it’s our commercial partners that need to be safe.”

His first statement was revealing. What I heard is, "We checked out SpaceX thoroughly, but Boeing.....maybe not as much." For their part SpaceX undoubtedly dug in while participating in the review. Boeing might not have taken it as seriously.

I was referring to that, but I was pretty sure only SpaceX got the proctology exam, not Boeing.

Here we go. Apparently NASA tried to do the same level of review to both companies but Boeing balked. Nice going Boeing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...eview-nasa-while-spacex-got-full-examination/

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and Nikxice
I was kind of thinking that back then, they wanted to see if SpaceX was living up to the standard set by Boeing. Turns out that might have been a low bar that SpaceX cleared easily.
This not that long ago, but it was also before the huge shift in mindsets created by crew arrival at the ISS on Flacon-Dragon. SpaceX took the bar, and raised it where it should be, hitting Boeing on the chin on the way up...

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and Bobfitz1
Reactions: SO16
I was kind of thinking that back then, they wanted to see if SpaceX was living up to the standard set by Boeing. Turns out that might have been a low bar that SpaceX cleared easily.
This not that long ago, but it was also before the huge shift in mindsets created by crew arrival at the ISS on Flacon-Dragon. SpaceX took the bar, and raised it where it should be, hitting Boeing on the chin on the way up...
This explain it with more better words: The engineering culture clash that defines America’s newest spacecraft

From the article:

“Software people are kind of strange, over in the corner, and kind of viewed as a service,” Leuders said. “But as we know nowadays, your system is very integrated. Your software capability really drives the capability of the overall system.”

Dude, if software isn’t a first class citizen in your design, good luck! For cost, flexibility, and capability reasons, the most complex part of almost any system these days is the software.

Also from that same article, waterfall versus iterative design. Has Waterfall ever worked? The problem is that it is almost impossible to come up with accurate requirements, let alone design, before you start a project. You don’t know what you don’t know until you start building, at which point you realize the holes in your requirements and you change your design.

People soft denigrate iterative design by saying it’s the way that Silicon Valley throws together software. But, wait a minute, Silicon Valley’s iterative techniques are responsible for the top five companies in the S&P 500. It’s a technique that works. Meanwhile waterfall is probably responsible for more IT disasters than I can comfortably count.