Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect the relaunch inspections to guarantee structural elements are 100% sound after previous launch(s) will be even more rigorous for manned launches. I still remember the one inflight RUD due to a sub standard strut.

I sort of expect a 2nd and maybe 3rd flight constraint as well. SpaceX needs to demonstrate a bunch more 4th, 5th, etc.. flights before those will be usable for crew (IMHO).

Reactions: Grendal
I'd expect what we've seen demonstrated with the CRS reuse that NASA allowed. They buy a launch on one booster then reuse that same booster for another launch. It is "their" flight proven booster.

Reusing the rockets for human space flight won’t be an issue. But reusing a capsule for human space flight after landing in salt water will take more refurbishment costs.

I don't think the reuse scenario includes capsules at this time. You are correct. That is an entirely different type of reuse with different parameters for reuse needed. NASA might wait for SpaceX to do a capsule reuse with a commercial tourism customer before they allow one of their astronauts to launch on a reused capsule. NASA would want to do a thorough examination of the reuse process before okaying such a thing. NASA does know the capsules very well since they oversaw every part of the build process - seeing the refurbishment process should tell them what they need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
If a spaceship is vacuum proof, why wouldn’t it be waterproof and not need bilge pumps? In case of something cracking during re-entry or the landing?
Different requirements, vacuum is not conductive nor a solvent. Don't need to keep vacuum out of connectors or piping. Heatshield is continuous, but all non crew volumes need to vent on launch and re-entry.

Although brief, Boeing just released this virtual reality video of Starliner's cockpit display. It might provide us with the most detail we've seen up to now. It does have EFIS (electronic flight instrument system) and lots of other bell & whistles. Plenty of toggle switches, rotating dials, push buttons, keypads, along with a couple of joysticks. Everyone is also probably familiar with the highlighted striped barber pole T-handle in the middle.
Is it all good or too cluttered for a modern spaceship today? I guess it depends upon who you ask!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Is it all good or too cluttered for a modern spaceship today? I guess it depends upon who you ask!

I think it also depends on how much control you believe the crew needs.

Intuitively, the ideal balance between touchscreen and hard controls is what you can find in a modern aircraft cockpit--say, something like a 787 or 350. Those are explicitly designed to provide maximum ability to operate the vehicle, at a safety margin certainly more stringent than space. Maybe the heavy aircraft example is a little biased toward hard controls than they need just because humans don't like change, but you get the point.

The main point, because of the way things happen in space and the speed at which they happen (either REALLY fast, so control has to be automated, or pretty slow, so remote commanding is no problem) there's much less real time demand on the operators of the vehicle, so the controls can bias toward providing maximum information and flexibility for the operators over maximum control.

Rare for me to side with Big B, but I think the Boeing solution actually strikes a pretty nice balance between the ultra clean Dragon solution and the classic SLS aircraft-like cockpit. Its closer to a modern fighter cockpit.

upload_2020-6-11_14-41-39.png

Bruce.

If something goes really south and you need to manually regain control of a spinning/yawing/tumbling ship, would a stick be better than the SpaceX combo of “finger rail” and push buttons (I assume that row of buttons has attitude controls)?
This is probably a moot point as automation is supposed to handle that for you, like stability control does on a car...

Reactions: Grendal
And to answer that 16 year old question....Rock they can!
Incredible. What SpaceX accomplished in just 16 years is mind boggling, though I think only a tiny fraction of the American public understands just what an accomplishment it is.

I don’t always agree with Elon, and his timelines can border on being laughable. But I never underestimate him.