Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completely Disgusted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you're premise is that because Tesla's front line employees are not abreast of the changes and couldn't foresee that the inventory model you purchased would be different than a custom order, that Tesla has somehow wronged you? This is an argument we go through each and every time Tesla makes a change to their configurations. Each and every time. What always amazes me is the little amount of research people do when spending this kind of money on a car. Now in the case of some current owners, things were changed after their order confirmed they weren't happy with (like during the changeover from AP1 to AP2 hardware), or that AP2 hasn't been as expedient as expected with regards to feature parody with AP1, those make sense... However, complaining about getting an already built inventory car and missing out on something that no one could have known about seems a bit petty to me...

Jeff

So it's ok for them to lie to their customers when they ask a question that would determine their buying decision. Gotcha.

Yea it amazes me too that I can't even trust the brand I am dealing with to answer all my questions that I have to go and do my own "research".

Reactions: dhrivnak and mmd
They should honour contracts and make every effort, in utmost good faith, to tell the truth. If a mistake is made in good faith, then there's no requirement to honour it.

If a bank teller deposits funds into your account by mistake, should the bank honour its employee mistake? I guess you have to answer that one "yes" too in order to be consistent.

That's where you're wrong. If they make a mistake in good faith, they are still required to honor it.

If a banker deposits $10k into my account by mistake, and I spend it by mistake, then what? Do the two mistakes cancel each other out?

• Disagree
Reactions: mhan00 and Troy
They are not a charity that can live off of donations.

Of course not. They are a business that delays or speeds up product changes as the need may be to maximize margins and deliveries. The changes themselves may be for better or for worse.

Tesla is much more aggressive about this sales optimization than any product business I can think of.

Of course not. They are a business that delays or speeds up product changes as the need may be to maximize margins and deliveries. The changes themselves may be for better or for worse.

Tesla is much more aggressive about this sales optimization than any product business I can think of.

So tell me a car manufacturer does it better than Tesla and makes you happier?

And because of Tesla's aggressive sales optimization business, we are much better off without them and hope they go out of business soon?

Reactions: dhrivnak and GreenT
I was told today that Tesla will not honor ANY of the answers given to me by their inside sales person Preston. (I have a copy of the information given. On the day I have an electrical outlet installed, they tell me no you won't get air suspension, premium package lighting, etc. After Preston told me I would. I have promptly cancelled my order and I am going to cancel my model 3 reservation too. The disorganization of this company is staggering. The Model 3 would have been my 3rd Tesla, but Tesla is way to transactional to take responsibility for what their staff says or does.

Now I have a useless outlet in my garage. Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

I am really done with Tesla.....DONE.
welcome to tesla who seems to care more AFTER you have the car to take care of issues but "jerks" you around to get you to sign on the line and put 2500 down.

The whole free super charging is going away jan 15th so better buy now ply worked for sales but was a lie. Now they switch up the options and pricing willy nilly(yea i know thats the way tesla does it-changes all the time/any time without notice) But i find tesla shady in how they do business....I just get a con man/grifter kind of vibe from the sales people. Most of then dont even own a tesla so its hard to take them seriously.

Reactions: GreenT
That's where you're wrong. If they make a mistake in good faith, they are still required to honor it.

No they aren't.

Case in point:

If a banker deposits $10k into my account by mistake, and I spend it by mistake, then what? Do the two mistakes cancel each other out?

I assure you the bank will take $10 back out of your account to right their wrong even if it then puts your account into a $10 deficit, whereupon you will then be charged an overdraft fee unless you have overdraft protection. (You could and should argue to have the overdraft fee negated and the bank would in fact do that for you in this case.) It was never your money to begin with and you also have a responsibility to keep an eye on your bank account for any errors either in your favor or not in your favor. Sure as sugar you'd be on the phone if the mistake was the other way around and the banker took out $10 that they shouldn't have. You should also be on the phone when an extra $10 mysteriously appears.

Feel free to try another analogy.

So it's ok for them to lie to their customers when they ask a question that would determine their buying decision. Gotcha.
Lie? I don't believe the "lie" was intentional because in the past it appears that even the associates in the stores are in the dark regarding these changes. however tesla could be a bit more flexible adjusting orders on cars that have not entered into production.

if a bank puts $10k into your account in error I would think that you are obliged to apprise them of the error and shouldn't spend that $10k as if it was really yours to spend.

Reactions: GoTslaGo

LOL. You are short -10K when they discover the mistake and remove it from your account.

Too easy. Next flawed analogy please?

Lie? I don't believe the "lie" was intentional because in the past it appears that even the associates in the stores are in the dark regarding these changes. however tesla could be a bit more flexible adjusting orders on cars that have not entered into production.

Ah ok so because it wasn't intentional then it makes it all OK and the employee shouldn't be held accountable anymore nor Tesla. It's always my fault if I get told lies or broken promises when dealing with Tesla. Sounds good.

I have purchased 9 Tesla's since 2013, 7 from Tesla. All 7 of those transactions have had some sort of issue. Some issues where a pain to deal with some where not. When I sold my X a few months ago I said to my self that I was done as well but now that I am driving a new Volvo I am so over it and ready to get back into another X. It's a love hate with Tesla. There service is only going to get worse when the Model 3 ramps up so store up your patience now.

It's interesting how in situations like this, changes to the product that affect you in a perceptually negative way cause a ton of uproar, but never the opposite. I bought my Tesla because I heard there was going to be a price increase. Several days later there was a price increase. Tesla didn't ask me for more money, even though it happened right after I bought the car and hadn't taken delivery yet. What's the difference between this situation and the one people are complaining about (purchasing the car and then an upgrade comes out shortly after)?

I was upset that I missed AP2 by a matter of weeks. In the short term it affects my resale value negatively, and in the long run means my car will be "obsolete" long before AP2 vehicles (assuming they do actually get full self driving, which mine will never have). But I ordered the car with AP1 and I can't be upset that a newer, better one came out soon after. Tesla took my money, and can't be upset that they didn't get more of it because of my order timing.

@croman - It's not that clear. Respondeat superior is dependent on the law of agency. It's unlikely that any sales rep has actual authority to bind Tesla through text messages. So then it becomes a question of apparent authority. It's quite possible that the OP in good faith believed what the sales rep told him. But that may not be enough. Can the OP really say he believed, in good faith, that the sales rep had the authority to make these decisions on behalf of Tesla? Seems doubtful. If not, then the misrepresentations simply allow the OP to get out of his contract, which he has already done. There's no tort here because there are no damages. So that's pretty much the end of the legal arguments.

What remains are just PR issues, and personally, while I'm not a fan of the disjointed way the OP went about reporting all this, I appreciate the power of information in the market. I agree that Tesla can and should do better.

I had a Model S delivered on September 2016 and AP2 came a month later. I was definitely disappointed but I'm pretty certain I would have made the same decision knowing the facts I had. It's still the best car I've ever owned.

Fast forward to June and we ordered Model X. I had a feeling an update was coming but the OA was pretty confident nothing would be released. With this confirmation, it made me feel comfortable to move forward and make a decision on a new inventory X instead of a custom build. I felt more disappointed about the 2nd purchase due to making the decision based on a false assurance.

At the end of the day, I agreed to what I purchased. If Tesla didn't continuously improve and decreased the 75d pricing the prior quarter, I probably wouldn't have made an order sooner. The continuous changes is a win win for the customer on getting the initial sale but it can sure be disappointing when you are on the cusp of a new change.

Last edited: