Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats on your new X.

I assume you are trying to play your tracks using the ALBUM interface, not folder view (it makes a difference in my response). If so, take a look at an album you own that has exactly the same tagging in all of it's tracks for TRACKARTIST (i.e. not a compilation album of some sort where TRACKARTIST may vary track-to-track, or an album where there is perhaps a guest artist doing a duet with the primary album artist). I suspect you'll see that an album with exactly the same TRACKARTIST in each of it's tracks will display correctly as a single album, but when TRACKARTIST varies, you get what appear to be multiple albums in some of the interface.

This problem has existed for a quite a while across multiple releases, so check upthread for more detail as this has been discussed a lot. The quick answer as to a couple options you can try is either:
  1. Put each of the tracks for a single album in it's own folder on your USB device. Then use only FOLDER VIEW to access your tracks, and just don't use the other standard interface methods to access your music.
  2. If you really want to use the ALBUM interface in Media Player, you will need to change the TRACKARTIST tags to be the same in each track of the same album. That is what I do via automation with dBpoweramp when building modified copies of my tracks for my Tesla USB device: I put ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of each album as my workaround.
Good luck!
Hi, @BertL , I have traded my S in and got an X last month, and I'm getting into similar twilight zones every day. With the December firmware (I think 2.44.130) with my Classic S, TRACKARTIST issue was fixed and the Tesla media player worked perfectly based on ALBUMARTIST tag. However I got next update around 2.52.22 it went back to the original state.

Now I have X and would like to fix all my metadata for Tesla, copying ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of all songs in that album. How did you do that? I have dbpoweramp on my Windows PC as well but I couldn't find how to automate that.

Interestingly enough, I got my first USB "Loading Error" last week on a track that had previously seemed OK and plays just fine on my computer. It was completely repeatable, and only when I hit that particular track.

My first thought: there was must be some corruption in that file. Since I had recently erased a new 128GB USB stick, I copied the FLAC files over again from my computer to the new drive. And... got the loading error again as soon as I hit the problem track.

After examining the file's header, verifying its tags and comparing it to other FLAC files in my collection, it suddenly occurred to me: this track has a significantly higher bit rate than the others: 1002 Kbps. Most of my FLAC files are between 700-900 Kbps and those play just fine in the car.

Could there be a bit rate limit in effect here for USB?

Hi, @BertL , I have traded my S in and got an X last month, and I'm getting into similar twilight zones every day. With the December firmware (I think 2.44.130) with my Classic S, TRACKARTIST issue was fixed and the Tesla media player worked perfectly based on ALBUMARTIST tag. However I got next update around 2.52.22 it went back to the original state.

Now I have X and would like to fix all my metadata for Tesla, copying ALBUMARTIST into TRACKARTIST of all songs in that album. How did you do that? I have dbpoweramp on my Windows PC as well but I couldn't find how to automate that.

Congrats on your X.

I'm running a bit short on time now, and won't have longer access to my Mac until the end of the week when I get back. Here's the quick answer:

In dBpoweramp Converter, go to DSP Effects / ID Tag Processing. Then, on the first tab called "Map", on a single line, put "Album Artist" without the quotes in the left column and "Artist" in the right column. That will replace the metadata for all tracks processed.​

If that does not make sense, scroll backwards in this thread looking for one of my very long posts from a few weeks ago, and you'll find instructions how I use dBpoweramp and an older version of a parameter file you can load into it that will make that one change you are looking for, as well as several other a I use (so if you try it, do a few albums/tracks and see if it's acceptable before you go too far). Attached to this post is the latest file I've been using since 2.42.40. Just unzip it, and then load that parameter file into dBpoweramp. You'll pick up a few refinements and improvements dealing with album/album art that I've added since the previous generation I posted upthread. I'm happy to try and help with questions after I return. Good luck.​

Attachments

• FLAC for Tesla V2b - ASL Adapt PtP Elim Tags 8-1-2-42-40.dspeffect.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Interestingly enough, I got my first USB "Loading Error" last week on a track that had previously seemed OK and plays just fine on my computer. It was completely repeatable, and only when I hit that particular track.

My first thought: there was must be some corruption in that file. Since I had recently erased a new 128GB USB stick, I copied the FLAC files over again from my computer to the new drive. And... got the loading error again as soon as I hit the problem track.

After examining the file's header, verifying its tags and comparing it to other FLAC files in my collection, it suddenly occurred to me: this track has a significantly higher bit rate than the others: 1002 Kbps. Most of my FLAC files are between 700-900 Kbps and those play just fine in the car.

I have also thought for more than a year that there is something to details in encoding format, bit rates, or more likely Tesla using some sort of outdated common library to access music files and now metadata... I just have not spent the time and don't plan to try and further ID what the specs are that Tesla has designed USB Music for or that it only works with because of Tesla code problems. After spending literal man weeks investigating it myself, it's too much of a moving target, especially with Tesla not first documenting what they DO support for me to spend any more substantial time on it.

In several of my documented cases in this thread, including today's, with the CID also being unresponsive or it rebooting in combination with USB music problems on one side or the other of the CID issue, it's hard to say from an Owner's POV if USB started the sequence of problems or not. Maybe so. None of us can know. The log may show something if Tesla is reading this thread and wants to pursue it. I honestly think there are multiple issues going on besides USB file content (which should never crash an end-user tool like MP). It could also be the physical USB device with poor underlying error recovery, or some other odd thing...

One last thought: My loading error problems are not completely repeatable as you are finding. I have more than once selected the same track and played it back successfully on my MS after encountering the failure - e.g. I just went out and replayed the track start-to-end that failed earlier today. Time to queue the Twilight Zone Theme again! :)

Yes. Please do this. Because as soon as you do, Tesla will fix the problem you worked so hard to overcome, and I can be the recipient of the fix. :D

dBpoweramp Batch Converter

• Helpful
It's been a long time, but I'm coming to the conclusion after graphing out leave/return time to vehicle, that it had less less to do with that and more to do with different doors opening besides the driver door. I'm going to start noting door status now in my list.

Also, USB search is finding less/no items now for certain searches. Navigating by artist or folder confirms the tracks are there as will they play.

The new software update seems to have changed the logic for displaying album art somewhat. I've been playing around with two different USB sticks and here's what I *think* the logic is w/r/t the art and some of the metadata fields:

- "Album" metadata is now necessary to display the cover art (this wasn't the case with the prior software version). This is a bit annoying - I'd prefer to keep the album metadata blank unless the track is part of an album I would listen to in album sequence. (When I go into the album view, I don't want the list of albums clogged up with the album names of hundreds of isolated tracks - I want it to only list albums that I would listen to as albums.)

- All tracks on an album will display the cover art of the first track on the album, even if they have different embedded cover art. This prevents you from using the "album" metadata to create de facto playlists, but you can still use the "genre" metadata for this purpose.

- Some metadata changes aren't reindexed. (If I delete the "album" metadata in a file, it will still show up in the album list.)

- At least *some* indexing data is "remembered" across different USB devices. (In stick 1 I had a flac with populated album metadata, in stick 2 the same flac with blank album metadata, but the album metadata still appeared in the index of stick 2.)

- In some cases, embedded album art did not display on my first trip after inserting the USB, then magically reappeared on the next trip. Not sure why.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
The new software update seems to have changed the logic for displaying album art somewhat.

When you write "new software update" what version exactly are you referring to? Also what version was your car running before that? The Model S fleet is collectively running many different versions of software...there's absolutely no expectation that your car and my car are running the same code.

Bruce.

The new software update seems to have changed the logic for displaying album art somewhat. I've been playing around with two different USB sticks and here's what I *think* the logic is w/r/t the art and some of the metadata fields:

- "Album" metadata is now necessary to display the cover art (this wasn't the case with the prior software version). This is a bit annoying - I'd prefer to keep the album metadata blank unless the track is part of an album I would listen to in album sequence. (When I go into the album view, I don't want the list of albums clogged up with the album names of hundreds of isolated tracks - I want it to only list albums that I would listen to as albums.)

- All tracks on an album will display the cover art of the first track on the album, even if they have different embedded cover art. This prevents you from using the "album" metadata to create de facto playlists, but you can still use the "genre" metadata for this purpose.

- Some metadata changes aren't reindexed. (If I delete the "album" metadata in a file, it will still show up in the album list.)

- At least *some* indexing data is "remembered" across different USB devices. (In stick 1 I had a flac with populated album metadata, in stick 2 the same flac with blank album metadata, but the album metadata still appeared in the index of stick 2.)

- In some cases, embedded album art did not display on my first trip after inserting the USB, then magically reappeared on the next trip. Not sure why.
Appreciate the observations, although some of these have IMHO existed for a number of months and releases. As @bmah suggests, it would be helpful for anyone posting here to know your MS firmware release level.

Congrats on your X.

I'm running a bit short on time now, and won't have longer access to my Mac until the end of the week when I get back. Here's the quick answer:

In dBpoweramp Converter, go to DSP Effects / ID Tag Processing. Then, on the first tab called "Map", on a single line, put "Album Artist" without the quotes in the left column and "Artist" in the right column. That will replace the metadata for all tracks processed.​

If that does not make sense, scroll backwards in this thread looking for one of my very long posts from a few weeks ago, and you'll find instructions how I use dBpoweramp and an older version of a parameter file you can load into it that will make that one change you are looking for, as well as several other a I use (so if you try it, do a few albums/tracks and see if it's acceptable before you go too far). Attached to this post is the latest file I've been using since 2.42.40. Just unzip it, and then load that parameter file into dBpoweramp. You'll pick up a few refinements and improvements dealing with album/album art that I've added since the previous generation I posted upthread. I'm happy to try and help with questions after I return. Good luck.​
@Hiroshy -- I'm just back from my trip with access to my Mac again. On my outbound leg, I unfortunately remembered a possible issue that may impact you with the dBpoweramp settings file I provided a few days ago. THIS attached file is likely better and will produce a better result if you want to give it a try.

If you care for the detail, the dBpoweramp issue is this: From your post, I believe you're running the Windows version of dBpoweramp, which I don't use. My understanding is the Mac version of dBpoweramp which I use exclusively, provides similar options and allows the settings file to be interchanged across platforms. When I developed my "Mac version" of the dBpoweramp settings for my MS MP workarounds, it worked fine until a more recent introduction of the latest R16 dBpoweramp Beta for Mac. I have been working with Peter at Illustrate testing, and his developing fixes for a number of problems as the Mac version is brought up-to-date with the Windows version of dBpoweramp. In the last couple of dBpoweramp Mac beta releases my same settings file started introducing problems with file naming. I believe it was tracked down to an actual problem with ONLY the Mac production and older Release 16 beta releases. Now that dBpoweramp code has been corrected, my settings fail, so I've got two versions until the Mac beta becomes production code. Yes, it's confusing. Apologies.

THE NET IS, use this settings file for the latest dBpoweramp Mac R16b21 (that's the latest beta) and I believe from communication with Peter at Illustrate but have not personally confirmed, that it will work successfully with the latest production Windows version of dBpoweramp you are probably using. If someone else reading this posts insists on using the still current dBpoweramp Mac R15 production level code, these settings will not produce the expected result (the previously posted version will). Oh my, oh my. All should be good again soon, when the Mac R16 version of dBpoweramp becomes available.

Just post or PM if you need help or all this does not make sense. I'll be back to checking this thread at least daily for the next few days in case something comes up.​

Attachments

• FLAC for Tesla V2b - ASL Adapt PtP Elim Tags 8-1-2-42-40.dspeffect.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 44
The Tesla Twilight Zone -- Another Episode

What is it about long running series where some of the story lines start becoming too familiar? That was the case with my MS an hour ago and my continuing CID/USB Music saga.

My MS had charged to 90% via HPWC night before last and I had not driven it since. I opened the door, removed the charge cable, got in and went to open my garage door via Homelink. My CID was unresponsive (again) with the little blinky area showing in the extreme upper left corner every time I touched the screen, but no response to my touches...

I didn't touch my USB-SSD. Rebooted the CID (without the brake being down). Waited for it to complete; opened the garage, backed-out and was on my way. USB rescan was underway as expected, but interestingly, the graphics behind my FM favorites had disappeared -- the Slacker graphics were still there. Upon completion of the rescan, I got the infamous "loading error" on the track that had been playing last time I was driving my MS, but this time it had a greyed-out album art cover with a dark static (non-moving) circular arrow over it. See attached photo.

I drove to my destination, parked, and when I got back in, same situation with USB music, so I rapidly touched FM (which played), selected another USB track, and all was well with the world except for missing FM favorite graphics on the way back home.​

I'm off starting tomorrow for a few days road trip, so we'll see if I get up enough courage to try AP again after all it's roadside object and truck lust challenges I encountered too many times on the same trip last Fall (reported in the 8.0 thread). ...oh, and maybe I'll get to catch up on another few episodes of the Tesla Twilight Zone while we all wait for 8.1 to finally appear. ;) Be safe out there, and happy USB Music listening!

View attachment 216469
...and interesting (at least to me) detail update.

I left documenting my last episode in the referenced post with two of my local FM Station Favorites not having graphics behind their icons, but the rest of my favorites graphics and MP operations working as well as I expect with 2.52.22. To close out that episode:

My MS then charged overnight via HPWC, and I went on a several hundred mile road trip, Supercharging a couple times along the way and listening to USB Music 100% of the time -- without incident I should say! When I parked at my destination several hours later, the same two FM Favorites you see in the photo above still didn't have a graphic.

When I came back and got back into my "untouched" MS 3 days later, both FM Favorite graphics where there again. So, there is something really odd going on with caching in MP, delaying some but not all actions for sometimes lengthy periods of time. IMHO it's just unexplainable or associated with time, charging, or power on/off cycles.

@Hiroshy -- I'm just back from my trip with access to my Mac again. On my outbound leg, I unfortunately remembered a possible issue that may impact you with the dBpoweramp settings file I provided a few days ago. THIS attached file is likely better and will produce a better result if you want to give it a try.

If you care for the detail, the dBpoweramp issue is this: From your post, I believe you're running the Windows version of dBpoweramp, which I don't use. My understanding is the Mac version of dBpoweramp which I use exclusively, provides similar options and allows the settings file to be interchanged across platforms. When I developed my "Mac version" of the dBpoweramp settings for my MS MP workarounds, it worked fine until a more recent introduction of the latest R16 dBpoweramp Beta for Mac. I have been working with Peter at Illustrate testing, and his developing fixes for a number of problems as the Mac version is brought up-to-date with the Windows version of dBpoweramp. In the last couple of dBpoweramp Mac beta releases my same settings file started introducing problems with file naming. I believe it was tracked down to an actual problem with ONLY the Mac production and older Release 16 beta releases. Now that dBpoweramp code has been corrected, my settings fail, so I've got two versions until the Mac beta becomes production code. Yes, it's confusing. Apologies.

THE NET IS, use this settings file for the latest dBpoweramp Mac R16b21 (that's the latest beta) and I believe from communication with Peter at Illustrate but have not personally confirmed, that it will work successfully with the latest production Windows version of dBpoweramp you are probably using. If someone else reading this posts insists on using the still current dBpoweramp Mac R15 production level code, these settings will not produce the expected result (the previously posted version will). Oh my, oh my. All should be good again soon, when the Mac R16 version of dBpoweramp becomes available.

Just post or PM if you need help or all this does not make sense. I'll be back to checking this thread at least daily for the next few days in case something comes up.​
Thanks, @BertL for the advice. I poked around Windows version of dbpoweramp batch converter and dbpoweramp converter, and I was able to use your config file to batch convert all of my music in one touch. I removed volume normalization though :)

Once in my car there are still some compilation albums that split into multiple albums. I guess these might have comma separated artist names in ALBUMARTIST. Haven't checked.

One question. My original files are FLAC lossless and I chose the same encoding when applying dbpoweramp, but it seems dbpoweramp is actually converting all audio files. I would like to keep audio data unchanged, is there any way to do that? Also due to conversion it takes a long time to convert a few thousand files.

Thanks, @BertL for the advice. I poked around Windows version of dbpoweramp batch converter and dbpoweramp converter, and I was able to use your config file to batch convert all of my music in one touch. I removed volume normalization though :)

Once in my car there are still some compilation albums that split into multiple albums. I guess these might have comma separated artist names in ALBUMARTIST. Haven't checked.

One question. My original files are FLAC lossless and I chose the same encoding when applying dbpoweramp, but it seems dbpoweramp is actually converting all audio files. I would like to keep audio data unchanged, is there any way to do that? Also due to conversion it takes a long time to convert a few thousand files.
No problem on volume normalization. It's definitely not for everyone.

The compilation albums ... as you thought, check ALBUMARTIST first, and if not, let me know, and maybe provide a little more detail, and I'll think about what else it may be. Have to put my problem determination hat back on to get back into that level of detail.

On FLAC lossless, check your conversion screen. You can change encoding lossless level. I just don't know the internals of dBpoweramp enough to know what happens if you have an existing FLAC lossless file of a particular "lossless level" and then try to convert it to the same thing... If I were you, be sure you've changed that option on your converter screen to match however you originally encoded your FLAC files (I used Lossless Level 5 when I originally ripped my FLAC source files, and have it set the same in the converter to build my USB device.) The process though will take time -- removing volume normalization will increase your speed a lot, but it isn't a quick process -- lots of things being done by the settings and workarounds.

Good luck.

I have somewhat of an odd request, so don't participate if you don't want to. But can a couple of us just name the 3 most important bug fixes currently facing the Model S software in general? It doesn't have to be strictly media related, although mine are.

1. Fix shuffle
2. Fix track restarts to beginning when returning to vehicle
3. Fix playback when selecting search results (selecting an Artist only plays one song by that artist with no additional tracks in the playlist to go-on to)

I'll go ahead and do @BertL's too: :)

1. Fix album artwork, or document requirements
2. Fix excessive and/or frequent media re-scans
3. Fix or define supported file types

I'd really like to echo 1) Fix shuffle. I have over 2500 tracks on a 64GB USB stick, and I can't believe that the exact same playlist keeps repeating every single time I get in the car. Eventually I hear a song for the third or fourth time, keep clicking the forward button and realize I have heard all those songs following it, and can predict the next one in the sequence, get frustrated, and turn off shuffle for a while.

2) is interesting: I have been noticing that when I return to the car, the media player shows the scrubber at the correct position in the track, exactly where it left off playing. But when I hit the play button, either on the CID or on the steering wheel, it instantly forgets that position and starts playing from the beginning of the track.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
I have somewhat of an odd request, so don't participate if you don't want to. But can a couple of us just name the 3 most important bug fixes currently facing the Model S software in general? It doesn't have to be strictly media related, although mine are.

I'll bite. First my assumptions: My definition of "bug fix" is something clearly broken that should (from my understanding as a software engineer) should be fixable easily and doesn't require major architectural change to the system (an example of the latter would be "make the map displays on the IC and MCU consistent"). Also I'm excluding new functionality ("nav waypoints" or "expert mode access to vehicle diagnostics") or things I think are probably unreasonable ("no nags on AP, ever for any reason"). What's left on my list are mostly media bugs also:

1. Fix compilation albums on USB media to properly use album artist tags for grouping (was actually working in December).

2. Properly remember the position within a track (both USB and streaming) so that when you turn off the car while playing a track and turn it back on, it doesn't start back at the beginning of a track (same as @supratachophobia #2).

3. Document the requirements and/or limits of the media system (e.g. "how many tracks can you really put on a USB stick?") and other parts of the software system that affect the normal day-to-day operation of the vehicle ("do you really need to clear trip meters to fix a memory leak?").

Bruce.

PS. Yes, I didn't write down any AP bugs. I have an AP1 car and I'm actually pretty happy with the way TACC and autosteer work on my car. I am sure there are higher-priority bugs in Tesla's bug-tracking system, even excluding AP bugs, but I just haven't been exposed to them (fortunately?).

1. Fix compilation albums on USB media to properly use album artist tags for grouping (was actually working in December).
2. Fix compilation albums on USB media to properly use album artist tags for grouping (was actually working in December).
3. Fix compilation albums on USB media to properly use album artist tags for grouping (was actually working in December).