Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V9 just completed installation on my MS. All favorites and recent icons are back; and this new UI seems like a decent update -- just gonna take some time to become reacquainted with it. USB plays, albeit parts of the UI (switching in/out of folder view and selecting individual songs) is painfully slow on my MCU1 -- so I'm glad I tend to play on random most of the time and not go to specific tracks. ;)

QUESTIONS:

My free time over the next 2-3 days will be spotty, but is there sufficient interest from this community for me to spend a number of hours to produce an initial overview of what seems to work and not work with USB in MP V9, similar to what I've done in this thread a couple times before (last was March 2017 when 8.1 hit the scene)? I just don't want to go through that sort of effort again -- especially the hours it takes writing and formatting for broader consumption than my own personal use -- if there isn't enough interest. I'm going to set out trying to understand if anything has changed with tagging for my own purposes in any case.

Similarly, if YES, does it then make sense to begin a new thread, perhaps titled something like "Everything about MP USB". I'm happy to just continue here, but perhaps with the growing fleet, a restart and broader title may cause more folks to come here for discussion, and challenges we find may get renewed interest (always hopeful!). NP either way from my POV!

Last edited:
...more work to do trying to get my head wrapped around this new V9, but first impression is Tesla has changed SOME, but not all of the oddities within MP USB, so I can't really say that Tesla has attempted to purposely fix or redesign the underpinnings that cause us so much grief -- more likely they took the old buggy USB code, linked in different open source libraries, and put the new UI on top with just enough changes to marry the two together. I've thus far found at least one substantial change that is gonna get people upset who care about correct track number playback (which also breaks old file naming workarounds many of us used to resolve this), and another where secondary sorting sequences are not being done to make access in longer lists sensible to anyone who has more than a few dozen tracks or albums on a USB device. Lots more unraveling to do, and to understand the new UI and where it can be improved (like BACK buttons that scroll off the page, so you have to scroll back to the top of long lists first before you can go back up in the structure).

Of note, for those that have pushed the envelope on what sort of USB devices they have been using, the new documentation specifically says only "USB Flash Drives" are now supported. IDK if that means they have turned more physical device types off as they did a few years back, or what impact that will have on some of you. My USB SSD seems to be working fine. Additionally, only FAT32 is now supported in terms of physical device formatting, not exFAT as we knew, or NTFS as was documented as newly supported with V8.1, and now FAT (used on less common smaller-data-size USB devices) is no longer called-out as being acceptable. If you're a Mac person, as I documented upthread, just go ahead and use Disk Utility; specify the more generic "MS-DOS FAT" format option and under the covers macOS will make it FAT32 that is acceptable to your MS.

Also, DO NOT add a new directory to your same USB device named "TeslaCam" if you read the documentation and are trying to also take advantage of that new capability. My USB SSD simply stops scanning and is never recognized by MP when that directory is in place on the same device with music files, or if I insert a 2nd USB with only an empty TeslaCam directory, the first USB with music never completes loading. Definitely a bug or undocumented exclusivity between the two in the implementation where USB music and the new AP camera recording are concerned. My suggestion is if you care about USB music, don't twiddle with this new cam thing until it gets sorted out.

Last edited:
QUESTIONS:

My free time over the next 2-3 days will be spotty, but is there sufficient interest from this community for me to spend a number of hours to produce an initial overview of what seems to work and not work with USB in MP V9, similar to what I've done in this thread a couple times before (last was March 2017 when 8.1 hit the scene)? I just don't want to go through that sort of effort again -- especially the hours it takes writing and formatting for broader consumption than my own personal use -- if there isn't enough interest. I'm going to set out trying to understand if anything has changed with tagging for my own purposes in any case.

Similarly, if YES, does it then make sense to begin a new thread, perhaps titled something like "Everything about MP USB". I'm happy to just continue here, but perhaps with the growing fleet, a restart and broader title may cause more folks to come here for discussion, and challenges we find may get renewed interest (always hopeful!). NP either way from my POV!

Thanks @BertL , please do keep reporting your findings. I think it makes sense keeping the MP issues discussion here for now unless we find that the V9 MP is a completely different beast with all/most the old problems gone and new/different quirks of its own

I got a software update notification late last night but for now I’m holding off while I read more about V9 on MCU1 - I just noticed the new UI seems to favour maps taking over the screen and only at most 1 other app overlaid on the bottom. If true that’s gonna be very annoying as I rarely ever need maps and rather always have rear cam on top and music on bottom. But that’s for discussion in anoth thread...

Thanks @BertL , please do keep reporting your findings. I think it makes sense keeping the MP issues discussion here for now unless we find that the V9 MP is a completely different beast with all/most the old problems gone and new/different quirks of its own

I got a software update notification late last night but for now I’m holding off while I read more about V9 on MCU1 - I just noticed the new UI seems to favour maps taking over the screen and only at most 1 other app overlaid on the bottom. If true that’s gonna be very annoying as I rarely ever need maps and rather always have rear cam on top and music on bottom. But that’s for discussion in anoth thread...

Agreed, thanks for the info on v9. @BertL

@f-stop I also I rarely display maps on the screen other then Tesla waze in a browser window up top and music on the bottom, im definitely waiting this out with you!

Lets see what V9 brings us later this week or next. Some changes are noted for the MP but nothing about USB so far.
Well from my perspective is that we have gotten worse. The UI does not seem as intuitive or as easy to use as before and nothing has changed functionally that I can see. My biggest pet peeve of no Album Artist and fractured tracks is still with us.

Bert’s Media Player 9.0 2018.39.6 Initial Observations

I’ve now had V9 for a few hours, becoming acquainted with the new UI and taking MP USB through my previous testing regime to understand what may have changed. Following are my initial impressions for your consideration.

CAVEATS
  • My MS has an original MCU1 with AP1. For those MS and MX owners with a more recent MCU and AP, I suspect you won’t encounter the same UI responsiveness issue I mention below. Additionally as with V8.1, you’ll likely have more memory available to MP USB than I do, so should be able to maintain more tracks and tag data than I do, but only time will tell.
  • I suspect much of what I say will apply to M3, but IDK. Certainly UI considerations will vary.

THE NET, COMPARED TO V8.1
  • All new UI; Some will like it, others won’t — especially the way the UI favors full-screen Nav and over views (energy, camera, phone) always replace MP at the bottom of the CID when you pull those up.
  • Less physical USB device types and data formats are supported
  • Less audio encoding formats are supported
  • ID3 tag usage remains problematic
  • The mini-album artwork generated by the MP 8.1 UI and seen in some of the standard listing views has been eliminated
  • Some USB views have changed the way they sort, display and playback tracks. Folder View will be more problematic for some owners.
  • The UI has some idiosyncrasies with a button that scrolls off the screen, and not retaining it’s place in a list when returning from drilling down through folders/albums
  • There is still no M3U playlist support. I’m over it.
  • Most settings, such as Dolby and Equalizer were retained across the update. My formerly lost recents and favorites came back again after the installation.
  • There is new MP documentation in the on-board manual (Owner’s Manual / Using the Touchscreen / Media and Audio). It sadly still does not provide many specifics beyond physical device formatting.

WHAT DOES WORK

Physical USB Device Characteristics & Formats
  • USB devices formatted as FAT32 are supported. FAT & NTFS have been deprecated in V9, and you should never use exFAT remains.
  • I did not try my collection of USB flash drives (see upthread), but my Kingston 2GB USB and Patriot XT 256GB sticks, as well as my always-in-my-MS PNY Elite 480GB USB 3.0 SSD work fine. Of particular new note in Tesla’s V9 documentation is the statement that “flash drives only” are now supported.
Audio (Encoding) Formats
  • AAC, M4A Lossy, OGG Vorbis, WAV, MP3, FLAC work. I did not try the myriad of bit rates and option combinations within each format.
  • AIF appears to have been deprecated with V9.
  • Same as with 8.1:
    • M4A (Apple) Lossless shows in the interface, but displays "Loading Error" upon playback. WORKAROUND: Convert and use my preferred MP3 VBS format in your Tesla — less space, no sound quality difference, and better compatibility with V8.1 (and 9?).
    • MWV will not show in the interface. You should have migrated to a more current format long ago.
    • FLA will not show in the interface. WORKAROUND: Rename and use FLAC as the filename extension.
    • M4V will not show in the interface. If you are trying to playback true Dolby Surround sound, you’ll have to find another compatible format or container that works — I’ve not done that research myself.
    • PDF (digital booklets) will not show in the interface. IMHO that's a good thing.
Basic ID3 Tagging
  • ALBUM (title) - used correctly
  • ALBUMARTIST - not used, but IMHO should be as discussed upthread
  • DISCNUMBER - STILL not used, which IMHO remains a basic design flaw as discussed elsewhere
  • GENRE - used correctly
  • PARTOFCOMPILATION - not used
  • TRACKARTIST - used correctly, perhaps to a fault (making Album View almost impossible to use with supposed duplicates if you have compilation albums)
  • TRACKNUMBER - not consistently used; Oddly appears in only parts of the interface despite the column heading being displayed
  • TRACKTITLE - used
Album Artwork
  • I re-tested both JPG and PNG album art in 100-bit increments from 300x300 to 1500x1500 embedded in both M4A and FLAC files. All combinations worked successfully.
    • Note: Some previous reports indicate other graphic standards work. I’ve not tried any others myself given the overwhelming propensity of JPG and PNG these days.
    • Note: Present MP displays a max image size ~300x300 pixels
    • Note: I suggest storing a single image imbedded within your encoded track as the "Front Cover". My limited tests with multiple Front Covers or using some of the many other Album Art variations allowed in the specification, is only the first "Front Cover" will be used by the UI and others are properly ignored.
    • Note: The mini-album art sometimes displayed in some V8.1 lists, is no longer part of the V9 UI. IMHO, that’s a good thing if it speeds-up scan time and reduces memory to be used for more important things.
"A", "An", and "The" are correctly displayed in fields such as ALBUM or TRACKTITLE, but ignored when sorting tag data per convention. Great.

Two USB devices containing supported media works well. To swap access within the new UI, touch USB at the bottom right of MP, then touch the change button under “USB” on the left side of the menu and you’ll know what to do from there.

PROBLEM AREAS (Design Flaws or Bugs)
  • M4A (Apple) Lossless encoded files show in the interface, but continue to then show "Loading Error" upon playback
  • Sort Order within the interface remains problematic
    • Songs View
      • Sorts only by TRACKTITLE
        • Needs a minimum secondary sort on ALBUM or ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST
      • A Track heading appears in the UI, but not the actual TRACKNUMBER for each line
    • Artists View
      • Sorts by ARTIST, then ALBUM
        • Then correctly displays and sorts tracks within ALBUM by TRACKNUMBER
          • DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER would be even better
        • IMHO and discussed upthread, it would be better to use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of ARTIST across the UI
    • Albums View
      • Sorts by unique ALBUM
        • NOTE: Sorting instead by ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST would reduce the problem with inappropriately merged tracks in a single album (e.g. “Greatest Hits”, “Christmas”, etc.) and seemingly duplicate compilation albums where ARTIST tends to vary by track.
      • NOTE: This or Artists View is what you should be using in V9 when you care about playing back tracks in proper TRACKNUMBER sequence. Where today’s interface will still fail you is on multi-disc albums.
    • Genre View
      • Sorts by unique GENRE, then presents a list by TRACKTITLE
      • A Track heading appears in the UI, but not the actual TRACKNUMBER for each line
    • Folders View
      • CHANGE FROM V8: Sorts by TRACKTITLE or Directory name (with directories sorted at the bottom)
        • Directory names should always be presented at the top of the list per standard convention
      • Within a Directory, the UI then sorts the list by TRACKTITLE

• IMHO, since Folders View is primarily intended to be filename/directory-structure-driven, opposed to tag-driven like the other Views, as Tesla did with V8.1, they should use only alphanumerically-sorted directory and FILENAMEs when sorting, with directories at the top by convention; not mix file structure naming with ID3 tag data to sort titles as it does now. Tesla’s V9 design choice is just too confusing for any audiophile or someone that cares.
        • NOTE: IOW, because of this change, if you want to maintain the correct track playback sequence within an album, the fairly-standard V8 workaround appending DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of filename will no longer work. Instead you have 2 options:
          • Use the Artist or Album View which uses TRACKNUMBER. You’ll still have a problem with multi-disc albums, but otherwise this looks to be your simplest choice.
          • Append DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of TRACKTITLE for every track. The ugly drawback is you’ll see x-yy in front of every track title in the UI and alpha sorting will not be very useful in Songs View, but you will preserve multi-disc album handling. You just have to decide what’s most important to you.
  • In summary, DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER are not used together for proper sequenced display and playback of multi-disc tracks within the UI. This compounds the sort order issues when attempting to playback tracks of a single album composed of multiple discs.
  • Improper Handling of Compilation Discs:
    • Tracks with the same ALBUM (title), but different ALBUMARTIST (such as "Greatest Hits" or "Christmas") will display tracks co-mingled from multiple albums in parts of the UI
    • NOTE: Unlike some here, I DO NOT want the PARTOFCOMPILATION tag or other more obscure variants to be adopted by Tesla. Rather, given how non-standard the definition of a “compilation album” has become over the years, Tesla should simply use ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST to distinguish between unique albums across the UI. IMHO it solves the problem for the most people with the least amount of effort.
  • Erratic and sometimes almost unusable UI responsiveness, especially when changing views or coming in/out of Folder View. It can take several seconds when you touch or swipe up/down on the MP window, and your actions will stack, back-up, then run all-together after some point if you don’t wait for each action to happen first. I suspect MCU1 is approaching the CPU limits of the present V9.0 UI without some desperately-needed coding refinement, but we’ll need feedback from MCU2 owners to pin down an opinion. I do know that number of tracks and tag data does not seem to impact this issue (going from 7K to <100 tracks had the exact same problem in my MS).
  • The “< BACK” button near the top left of MP USB scroll lists disappears as you scroll down in the list — meaning, you have to scroll back to the top of the scroll list first, to then go back up within the UI menu/touch structure. It’s just a poor UI design choice, where the button needs to move up into the static MP header. Tesla, are you listening please?
  • After drilling down in the menu or touch structure, then using “< BACK” to return, the UI does not always remember it’s place in a vertically scrollable list and instead returns to the top. It’s difficult when you’re in a long list and just wanted to go back to the next item.
  • Creating a root directory named “TeslaCam” on the same USB device (to use that new functionality), causes the USB Scan process to never end, or inserting a 2nd USB device with a single TeslaCam root directory, does the same.
NOT YET ENCOUNTERED WITH 9.0 (it’s too early to declare anything)
  • Stuttering
  • "Lack of Randomness"
  • Phantom "EF1 200MB" device sometimes appears as the 2nd USB device, when nothing is attached
  • Unexpected Scan / Rescan / Unexpected CID Hang or Reboot
    • HOPEFUL WORAKAROUND: Keep the number of tracks and related tag data down; after reducing phone contacts and Nav history
  • Searching -- both verbally and via CID work as I remember them with only rare use.
  • Feeling like I'm in the Tesla Twilight Zone

BERT’S MP V9.0+ FEATURE REQUESTS

...and yes, since this thread is specific to USB, that's all that is in my list. If we expand to "Infotainment", my wish list would be quite different.
  • Document what is and is not supported just like all other auto mfgrs do for their Infotainment systems, USB and media player access
  • Implement Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL) or Automatic Sound Leveling (ASL) as most other major mfgrs provide with their premium sound systems
  • Provide an option to limit music searches to only USB (non-streaming) sources

BERT'S WORKAROUND

I need to live with MP USB V9 for awhile, and have not completely finalized what’s best for me given the (much worse) changes Tesla has made purposely or not with sort sequence in some of the Views. Where I am now is:
  • I almost always use the built-in USB Views opposed to Folders View. It’s what I built my workaround procedure posted upthread around. All except perhaps one of those tweaks the automation provides still give benefit for me over where V9 is today.
  • I really don’t want to stare at DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of all my track titles all the time if I don’t have to
  • I listen to my USB music on random within genre or artist most of the time, but occasionally care about proper track sequence playback esp on broadway/soundtrack albums. Fortunately most of those albums with “storylines” are not of the multi-disc variety, so:
    • I’ll continue using Album or Artist View to access albums I want to listen to in sequence, just accept for now that my smaller number of multi-disc albums will have tracks out of sequence with V9.
I don’t see a good way to workaround Tesla’s latest USB sorting challenge and my present conflicting desire. Things will change with MP over time, so we’ll see where we both go. If I come up with something different or a better process for myself, I’ll post back.

SUMMARY

I appreciate receiving a new update OTA, albeit not a lot of new functionality in my 3 year-old MS which I completely understand. The UI will take adjustment time. Like the old V8 UI with the top icons that disappeared to make way for more of the top panel, I’m not so sure I see huge benefit with the new pop-ups and needing to drag the MP UI up and down as much is necessary. I guess it’s fun, but it is especially difficult in less-responsive MCU1 vehicles like my 3 year-old, and takes a lot more time with my eyes off the road to deal with the UI, especially when it’s not immediately responsive. The glitz of the new UI is fine, but foundational/functional USB updates that have been lacking for years would have been my preference if I had been asked. ;)

Good luck. Happy USB Listening! I look forward to your observations and any corrections to my initial thoughts.

Last edited:
Bert’s Media Player 9.0 2018.39.6 Initial Observations

I’ve now had V9 for a few hours, becoming acquainted with the new UI and taking MP USB through my previous testing regime to understand what may have changed. Following are my initial impressions for your consideration.

CAVEATS
  • My MS has an original MCU1 with AP1. For those MS and MX owners with a more recent MCU and AP, I suspect you won’t encounter the same UI responsiveness issue I mention below. Additionally as with V8.1, you’ll likely have more memory available to MP USB than I do, so should be able to maintain more tracks and tag data than I do, but only time will tell.
  • I suspect much of what I say will apply to M3, but IDK. Certainly UI considerations will vary.

THE NET, COMPARED TO V8.1
  • All new UI; Some will like it, others won’t — especially the way the UI favors full-screen Nav and over views (energy, camera, phone) always replace MP at the bottom of the CID when you pull those up.
  • Less physical USB device types and data formats are supported
  • Less audio encoding formats are supported
  • ID3 tag usage remains problematic
  • The mini-album artwork generated by the MP 8.1 UI and seen in some of the standard listing views has been eliminated
  • Some USB views have changed the way they sort, display and playback tracks. Folder View will be more problematic for some owners.
  • The UI has some idiosyncrasies with a button that scrolls off the screen, and not retaining it’s place in a list when returning from drilling down through folders/albums
  • There is still no M3U playlist support. I’m over it.
  • Most settings, such as Dolby and Equalizer were retained across the update. My formerly lost recents and favorites came back again after the installation.
  • There is new MP documentation in the on-board manual (Owner’s Manual / Using the Touchscreen / Media and Audio). It sadly still does not provide many specifics beyond physical device formatting.

WHAT DOES WORK

Physical USB Device Characteristics & Formats
  • USB devices formatted as FAT32 are supported. FAT & NTFS have been deprecated in V9, and you should never use exFAT remains.
  • I did not try my collection of USB flash drives (see upthread), but my Kingston 2GB USB and Patriot XT 256GB sticks, as well as my always-in-my-MS PNY Elite 480GB USB 3.0 SSD work fine. Of particular new note in Tesla’s V9 documentation is the statement that “flash drives only” are now supported.
Audio (Encoding) Formats
  • AAC, M4A Lossy, OGG Vorbis, WAV, MP3, FLAC work. I did not try the myriad of bit rates and option combinations within each format.
  • AIF appears to have been deprecated with V9.
  • Same as with 8.1:
    • M4A (Apple) Lossless shows in the interface, but displays "Loading Error" upon playback. WORKAROUND: Convert and use my preferred MP3 VBS format in your Tesla — less space, no sound quality difference, and better compatibility with V8.1 (and 9?).
    • MWV will not show in the interface. You should have migrated to a more current format long ago.
    • FLA will not show in the interface. WORKAROUND: Rename and use FLAC as the filename extension.
    • M4V will not show in the interface. If you are trying to playback true Dolby Surround sound, you’ll have to find another compatible format or container that works — I’ve not done that research myself.
    • PDF (digital booklets) will not show in the interface. IMHO that's a good thing.
Basic ID3 Tagging
  • ALBUM (title) - used correctly
  • ALBUMARTIST - not used, but IMHO should be as discussed upthread
  • DISCNUMBER - STILL not used, which IMHO remains a basic design flaw as discussed elsewhere
  • GENRE - used correctly
  • PARTOFCOMPILATION - not used
  • TRACKARTIST - used correctly, perhaps to a fault (making Album View almost impossible to use with supposed duplicates if you have compilation albums)
  • TRACKNUMBER - not consistently used; Oddly appears in only parts of the interface despite the column heading being displayed
  • TRACKTITLE - used
Album Artwork
  • I re-tested both JPG and PNG album art in 100-bit increments from 300x300 to 1500x1500 embedded in both M4A and FLAC files. All combinations worked successfully.
    • Note: Some previous reports indicate other graphic standards work. I’ve not tried any others myself given the overwhelming propensity of JPG and PNG these days.
    • Note: Present MP displays a max image size ~300x300 pixels
    • Note: I suggest storing a single image imbedded within your encoded track as the "Front Cover". My limited tests with multiple Front Covers or using some of the many other Album Art variations allowed in the specification, is only the first "Front Cover" will be used by the UI and others are properly ignored.
    • Note: The mini-album art sometimes displayed in some V8.1 lists, is no longer part of the V9 UI. IMHO, that’s a good thing if it speeds-up scan time and reduces memory to be used for more important things.
"A", "An", and "The" are correctly displayed in fields such as ALBUM or TRACKTITLE, but ignored when sorting tag data per convention. Great.

Two USB devices containing supported media works well. To swap access within the new UI, touch USB at the bottom right of MP, then touch the change button under “USB” on the left side of the menu and you’ll know what to do from there.

PROBLEM AREAS (Design Flaws or Bugs)
  • M4A (Apple) Lossless encoded files show in the interface, but continue to then show "Loading Error" upon playback
  • Sort Order within the interface remains problematic
    • Songs View
      • Sorts only by TRACKTITLE
        • Needs a minimum secondary sort on ALBUM or ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST
    • Artists View
      • Sorts by ARTIST, then ALBUM
        • IMHO and discussed upthread, it would be better to use ALBUMARTIST in lieu of ARTIST across the UI
    • Albums View
      • Sorts by unique ALBUM
        • NOTE: Sorting instead by ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST would reduce the problem with inappropriately merged tracks in a single album (e.g. “Greatest Hits”, “Christmas”, etc.) and seemingly duplicate compilation albums where ARTIST tends to vary by track.
      • NOTE: This or Artists View is what you should be using in V9 when you care about playing back tracks in proper TRACKNUMBER sequence. Where today’s interface will still fail you is on multi-disc albums.
    • Genre View
      • Sorts by unique GENRE, then presents a list by TRACKTITLE
    • Folders View
      • CHANGE FROM V8: Sorts by TRACKTITLE or Directory name (with directories sorted at the bottom)
        • Directory names should always be presented at the top of the list per standard convention
      • Within a Directory, the UI then sorts the list by TRACKTITLE
      • IMHO, since Folders View is primarily intended to be filename/directory-structure-driven, opposed to tag-driven like the other Views, as Tesla did with V8.1, they should use only alphanumerically-sorted directory and FILENAMEs when sorting, with directories at the top by convention; not mix file structure naming with ID3 tag data to sort titles as it does now. Tesla’s V9 design choice is just too confusing for any audiophile or someone that cares.
        • NOTE: IOW, because of this change, if you want to maintain the correct track playback sequence within an album, the fairly-standard V8 workaround appending DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of filename will no longer work. Instead you have 2 options:
          • Use the Artist or Album View which uses TRACKNUMBER. You’ll still have a problem with multi-disc albums, but otherwise this looks to be your simplest choice.
          • Append DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of TRACKTITLE for every track. The ugly drawback is you’ll see x-yy in front of every track title in the UI and alpha sorting will not be very useful in Songs View, but you will preserve multi-disc album handling. You just have to decide what’s most important to you.
  • In summary, DISCNUMBER and TRACKNUMBER are not used together for proper sequenced display and playback of multi-disc tracks within the UI. This compounds the sort order issues when attempting to playback tracks of a single album composed of multiple discs.
  • Improper Handling of Compilation Discs:
    • Tracks with the same ALBUM (title), but different ALBUMARTIST (such as "Greatest Hits" or "Christmas") will display tracks co-mingled from multiple albums in parts of the UI
    • NOTE: Unlike some here, I DO NOT want the PARTOFCOMPILATION tag or other more obscure variants to be adopted by Tesla. Rather, given how non-standard the definition of a “compilation album” has become over the years, Tesla should simply use ALBUM+ALBUMARTIST to distinguish between unique albums across the UI. IMHO it solves the problem for the most people with the least amount of effort.
  • Erratic and sometimes almost unusable UI responsiveness, especially when changing views or coming in/out of Folder View. It can take several seconds when you touch or swipe up/down on the MP window, and your actions will stack, back-up, then run all-together after some point if you don’t wait for each action to happen first. I suspect MCU1 is approaching the CPU limits of the present V9.0 UI without some desperately-needed coding refinement, but we’ll need feedback from MCU2 owners to pin down an opinion. I do know that number of tracks and tag data does not seem to impact this issue (going from 7K to <100 tracks had the exact same problem in my MS).
  • The “< BACK” button near the top left of MP USB scroll lists disappears as you scroll down in the list — meaning, you have to scroll back to the top of the scroll list first, to then go back up within the UI menu/touch structure. It’s just a poor UI design choice, where the button needs to move up into the static MP header. Tesla, are you listening please?
  • After drilling down in the menu or touch structure, then using “< BACK” to return, the UI does not always remember it’s place in a vertically scrollable list and instead returns to the top. It’s difficult when you’re in a long list and just wanted to go back to the next item.
  • Creating a root directory named “TeslaCam” on the same USB device (to use that new functionality), causes the USB Scan process to never end, or inserting a 2nd USB device with a single TeslaCam root directory, does the same.
NOT YET ENCOUNTERED WITH 9.0 (it’s too early to declare anything)
  • Stuttering
  • "Lack of Randomness"
  • Phantom "EF1 200MB" device sometimes appears as the 2nd USB device, when nothing is attached
  • Unexpected Scan / Rescan / Unexpected CID Hang or Reboot
    • HOPEFUL WORAKAROUND: Keep the number of tracks and related tag data down; after reducing phone contacts and Nav history
  • Searching -- both verbally and via CID work as I remember them with only rare use.
  • Feeling like I'm in the Tesla Twilight Zone

BERT’S MP V9.0+ FEATURE REQUESTS

...and yes, since this thread is specific to USB, that's all that is in my list. If we expand to "Infotainment", my wish list would be quite different.
  • Document what is and is not supported just like all other auto mfgrs do for their Infotainment systems, USB and media player access
  • Implement Automatic Volume Leveling (AVL) or Automatic Sound Leveling (ASL) as most other major mfgrs provide with their premium sound systems
  • Provide an option to limit music searches to only USB (non-streaming) sources

BERT'S WORKAROUND

I need to live with MP USB V9 for awhile, and have not completely finalized what’s best for me given the (much worse) changes Tesla has made purposely or not with sort sequence in some of the Views. Where I am now is:
  • I almost always use the built-in USB Views opposed to Folders View. It’s what I built my workaround procedure posted upthread around. All except perhaps one of those tweaks the automation provides still give benefit for me over where V9 is today.
  • I really don’t want to stare at DISCNUMBER+TRACKNUMBER in front of all my track titles all the time if I don’t have to
  • I listen to my USB music on random within genre or artist most of the time, but occasionally care about proper track sequence playback esp on broadway/soundtrack albums. Fortunately most of those albums with “storylines” are not of the multi-disc variety, so:
    • I’ll continue using Album or Artist View to access albums I want to listen to in sequence, just accept for now that my smaller number of multi-disc albums will have tracks out of sequence with V9.
I don’t see a good way to workaround Tesla’s latest USB sorting challenge and my present conflicting desire. Things will change with MP over time, so we’ll see where we both go. If I come up with something different or a better process for myself, I’ll post back.

SUMMARY

The UI will take adjustment time. Like the old V8 UI with the top icons that disappeared to make way for more of the top panel, I’m not so sure I see huge benefit with the new pop-ups and needing to drag the MP UI up and down as much is necessary. I guess it’s fun, but it is especially difficult in less-responsive MCU1 vehicles like my 3 year-old, and takes a lot more time with my eyes off the road to deal with the UI, especially when it’s not immediately responsive. The glitz of the new UI is fine, but foundational/functional USB updates that have been lacking for years would have been my preference if I had been asked. ;)

Good luck. Happy USB Listening! I look forward to your observations and any corrections to my initial observations.

Hey Bert,

Read your ENTIRE write-up. Nice job as usual. Thank you!

In your comment below, are you saying you have the capability to use the TeslaCam on our cars?
  • “Creating a root directory named “TeslaCam” on the same USB device (to use that new functionality), causes the USB Scan process to never end, or inserting a 2nd USB device with a single TeslaCam root directory, does the same.”

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Hey Bert,

Read your ENTIRE write-up. Nice job as usual. Thank you!

In your comment below, are you saying you have the capability to use the TeslaCam on our cars?
  • “Creating a root directory named “TeslaCam” on the same USB device (to use that new functionality), causes the USB Scan process to never end, or inserting a 2nd USB device with a single TeslaCam root directory, does the same.”
No, unsure from the documentation. I went through all the menus and see no option. Also tried the subdirectory-on-USB-device thing in case they were getting tricky and only presented the menu option if there is a USB device plugged-in with the TeslaCam directory (that's how I found the conflicts with USB scanning) -- so it's likely an AP2-only thing. You and I are in the dark ages, my friend. :)

Reactions: msnow
Reactions: BertL
Quick question @BertL about V9 USB:

In Artist view, is there any way to shuffle all songs by an artist? (across all that artist’s albums)

Can’t seem to do that in v8, I consider that another deficiency of the MP. that’s why I organized my USB with only 1 level of hierarchy below root - just 1 folder for each artist containing all tracks from all albums of that artist, then I often play by folder & shuffle from there. But your observation of V9 UI sluggishness using folder view with MCU1 has me concerned...

Quick question @BertL about V9 USB:

In Artist view, is there any way to shuffle all songs by an artist? (across all that artist’s albums)

Can’t seem to do that in v8, I consider that another deficiency of the MP. that’s why I organized my USB with only 1 level of hierarchy below root - just 1 folder for each artist containing all tracks from all albums of that artist, then I often play by folder & shuffle from there. But your observation of V9 UI sluggishness using folder view with MCU1 has me concerned...
Just went out and tried it.

Sadly no way to play all songs by a single artist via Artist View that is obvious to me. IMHO its just a current design limitation as once you select an Artist, the Albums are presented, but you can’t use player controls until after you select an album and a at least a default track is selected... when it only shuffles through the single album for that artist and stops. I’d expect Tesla could add the feature so controls become available as soon as the Artist+Albums view is presented if people requested it. It’s all just a matter of programming. ;)

Sluggishness is a general feeling more as MP USB starts up after opening my door (used to be almost immediate to have music — no more) and as I go in and out of different Views, e.g. Folders to Songs, or Albums back to Folders or even to Artist. Something feels like it’s going on in terms of not getting prioritized compared to o5er functions or increased calculation that stalls between those major switches. Inside a view to e.g. select a song or change an option like random on/off is generally more fluid as I’d expect, BUT trying to resize (swipe up or down on top of the MP window) drives me crazy with how extraordinarily slow (seconds) it is to almost always react, and I’ve not even been on the road trying to work my way around the UI yet. Making changes to Nav has none of the same delay... feels like maybe they don’t have priorities of some MP interface processes properly prioritized under the cover. Tesla has some needed refinements to do that are super apparent for MCU1 where we already know CPU+memory were strained, and it will likely take a bunch of us being vocal to Tesla to effect change. I plan to do that no later than EOD Monday via email to TeslaNA, although I really don’t think they do much with most of our input with very few exceptions that IMHO are more coincidence than result of our efforts. My take though is if I don’t at least formally voice my POV as an owner, I can’t expect Tesla to do anything — no different than when people don’t vote in our elections but then try to have an opinion about who’s running the show after someone is in office. ;). My take is, once you go to V9, just try your same USB stick via Folder View. Hopefully once you’re there, responsiveness will be acceptable once the music starts to play.

I’m interested to hear from a person with MCU2 if they have similar or more likely no responsiveness issues like I am encountering.

Bert’s Media Player 9.0 2018.39.6 Observations - First Practical Use

After allowing my V9 MS (remember, MCU1) to sit for approx 18 hours untouched, I'm just back from a couple 25-30 min drives. Here are a few refinements after a little practical time on the road.
  • Surprisingly, USB music started right up from where it was when I last left it. No playback delay as I had encountered multiple times during the first 8 hours of testing in my garage. Something apparently settled down (memory mgmt?) over night since I was not working the CID as heavily as I had been during my exploration of the new UI options and repeated MP USB testing.

• I should break my previously described general concerns of MP responsiveness into two parts:
    • Resizing of the MP panel itself
      • For those that have not yet physically seen this, MP basically can be hidden, or in 3 different sizes attached to the lower part of the UI. You resize it swiping up/down at the top of the MP pop-up, or toggling the MP Medium-size display on/off by touching the MP icon at the bottom of the UI. For USB playback:
        • the "mini" display shows the album art and currently playing track with basic track controls including previous/next
        • the "medium" display which takes about 1/2 of the CID shows the "mini" info, plus recents and favorites, as well as allowing you to change MP sources (e.g. TuneIn, USB, Streaming)
        • the "max" display takes about 3/4 of the CID and shows all the info of "medium". Importantly, this is also the only place where you can change or interact with USB Views (e.g. Songs, Artists, Folder) and is where listings of tracks, artists, genre, folder names, etc appear.
      • Surprisingly, changing from the mini to medium views is generally responsive, but can be sluggish every now and then, perhaps because of other tasks going on in the CID (I suspect MCU2 owners may not see this issue). I would like it improved so response is more consistent, but could live with it as-is.
      • Going into the "max" display (from medium) is where the more problematic responsiveness issues usually come into play depending where you are in the UI. See the next bullet on scrollable items.
    • Use of Views that contain large numbers of scrollable items
      • e.g. Songs, Artists, Albums, and Folder Views are initially slow (seconds) as I switch from one view or section of the UI into these listing displays. In my case I have nearly 7K songs, hundreds of artists, albums and folders. It appears to me like the code is going through a lot of processing to manage and then display the list when it is called upon to do so.
      • Note I did not include the Genre View as something that feels slow like the others. In my case I have ~12 unique genres for all the tracks on my USB SSD. Once I select a Genre from it's list, that is when I encounter sluggishness again, as I have dozens/hundreds of tracks that need to then be displayed in a scrollable list. Selecting or even scrolling from the list once it's displayed isn't too bad.
    • The net here is Tesla has some tuning to do with their code to make it more responsive both on resizing to the larger "max" USB display, as well as when new scrollable lists are first displayed. IMHO, the delays cause me to take my eyes off the road for far too long as I have to watch for both if and when I can touch the next thing (e.g. swipe up/down to resize MP USB does not always seem to take the first time, but if I swipe twice, that can cause a different problem if the action is buffered.) Use of recents can help reduce some of the delay when it's something I've listened to before, like specific albums or genres on random -- where I don't then have to go through the scrollable list being built for display and encounter the delay before selecting.
  • I sadly encountered the old problem I had not seen in months of an existing track that was playing, upon reentry, the album art goes gray with an overlaid gray circular arrow and "Loading Error" displayed. This is as inconsistent as it was in the past -- 3 out of 4 times I started/stopped my MS this morning, I had no issue and the same track resumed playing correctly upon entry. It failed once, and as before, required me to simply select a track (even the same one) again and playback resumed. This failure makes me feel even more like some of the old problematic MP USB logic is still there, with only a reskin for the new interface and changes to the scan/listing logic that eliminates all the mini-art from V8.1.
My net: I believe entering new scrollable lists within the MP USB interface is where most of my MP responsiveness issues are -- and then, the problem only happens as those lists get into the hundreds or thousands of entries. At least one old problem I thought had been resolved months ago has reappeared. I'm sorta loving the small mini MP player, although needing to increase that to the medium player so I can then go the the 3/4 view to make any sort of selections beyond play/pause/previous/next/repeat/random is a bust ... especially if the view that appears in 3/4 is a long scrollable list (e.g. shuffling all Songs or a Folder with lots of tracks). Once MCU1 owners have access to MP V9, please see if you come to similar conclusions and lets each try to get Tesla to improve this. My email goes off tomorrow.

BertL, thanks for the comprehensive summary. I would summarize this as follows:

* Fixed none of the old bugs.
* Introduced new bugs.

I'm pretty much disgusted. I have filed a very comprehensive bug report regarding
-- not playing tracks in the right order,
-- not being able to show long lists of tracks or albums or artists,
-- lack of gapless playback
Many many months ago through executive escalation.

They blew it off and introduced more breakage.

Whoever's in charge of the software team -- Elon Musk, perhaps? -- is not listening to customer feedback. They need to replace the head of the software team pronto, with someone who fixes bugs instead of introducing them.

@BertL: Many thanks for the research and report!

One thing I do like about the new UI is that when I go into the album view (pretty much the only one I use) I don't get the annoying two-column sorted view where I have to scan left and right in each row to find the album I'm looking for. True there are no album art previews in this view anymore, and they don't properly clip/truncate extremely long album names in this view properly, but that two-column view bugged the heck out of me. A small win, perhaps, but I think that was an improvement.

Bruce.

Reactions: BertL
I've seen someone reporting that you can share the same USB device for both music storage and dashcam feature - you just need to partition and format the stick into 2 separate logical drives/letters. Store music on one, create a TeslaCam folder at the root of the other. Hope this helps/is verifiable. I don't have AP 2.5, so can't tell.

Thanks @BertL for an extensive research!

• Informative
Reactions: BertL and thecloud
So while I'm not on v9, I have some new observations to add. I traded in my old 2015 Model S for a 2018 Model S. My previous car would play all the songs but have intermittent *Loading Error* with no particular pattern to the errors.

In the new car with no changes to my music flash drive, a number of files would not play *at all*. When I later looked up these files, they are M4A with AAC encoding. I modified my powershell script (It imports and converts an iTunes library for playback in a Tesla) to additionally convert AAC files and now I don't seem to have any issue with music playback whatsoever.

While this tip has been posted many times above it's worth repeating again since V9 fails to deal with the compilation album issue broken two years ago.:mad:

Work around for albums being Split on USB Flash Drive Music

I have given up on Tesla in this regard and am now hacking my artist tags so the albums are in tact.
I think this is the way to go. It is more than clear that USB media is less than a 0 priority for Tesla ( below Atari games anyhow) so workarounds are the best approach.