Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet Tesla just absorbs media library updates from a 3rd party.
So even if they aren't actively working in that area, behavior could change when they merge in a new library.

Has anyone tweeted Elon about the fact that there is a thread with over 2000 posts about problems with the USB music player?

It seems the USB music player bugs are the most discussed software issue and ironically they can fix just about all the USB music player bugs in about a week if they could just take a break from updating games for a week.

Being able to listen to music while you drive > Being able to play games when not driving.

Has anyone tweeted Elon about the fact that there is a thread with over 2000 posts about problems with the USB music player?

It seems the USB music player bugs are the most discussed software issue and ironically they can fix just about all the USB music player bugs in about a week if they could just take a break from updating games for a week.

Being able to listen to music while you drive > Being able to play games when not driving.
Totally agree, been dealing with it since 2013 on my S does not seems like they really care would not think it would be hard to fix.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I too rely on FLAC. My entire music collection rides with me. With MCU1 I hit a limit to the amount of songs I could place on one USB device. I say "amount" because I did not definitively determine if it was the number of songs or the size (GB) of the collection. I ended up splitting the collection across two sticks. There are about 5,000 songs on each.

I have since upgraded my 2017 S75 from MCU1/AP2.5 to MCU2/AP3/HW2, but have yet to test if that limit still exists.

The player interface so sucks. This is first thing I'm going to mention to Elon when I run onto him :)
Later versions of the firmware have gotten even worse. It no longer displays the file type (MP3, FLAC, etc.)

20 years ago I owned a "RIO" hard drive based, Linux based car head unit that not only had playlists, but could pivot. Pivot is when you are listening to a song in a playlist and you want to "pivot" to another song by the same artist or genre or album. Basic stuff like that could be implemented quickly by a few dedicated software engineers. On the other hand not selling out to CarPlay or some other sucky system is good for me.
So MCUv1 has a song/size limit, but MCUv2 doesn't?

2016 MCU2/AP3/HW2 upgraded.

Even before the upgrade, error with the separate USB stick I use for FLAC audio. Every time I restart the car, there's a load error on the USB drive, and up to 4 "identical" drives can be 'picked' before I find the 'correct' one amongst the 'ghosts'.

When this fails, if I reboot everything seems to work ok [albeit with the lousiest playback functionality of any audio device I've ever owned], until I switch off, and the failure returns, "without failure !"

I'm using a separate, legit, USB drive with properly tagged (ID3v2)/encoded FLAC files, there's no question of file corruption etc.

Couldn't find this as a known problem elsewhere on the forums - or is it? Resolutions?
I do wonder when Tesla will stop treating USB Audio files/USB audiophiles as 2nd class citizens, if ever.

I found recently that disc number tags are being ignored. Albums on my USB memory stick that contain tracks from 2 or more discs are showing the tracks in the order of disc 1, track 1; disc 2, track 1; disc 1 track 2, disc 2, track 2; .... All of which means that I cannot play a piece such as Handel's Messiah, for example, in proper order.

Reactions: ahcpa
I found recently that disc number tags are being ignored. Albums on my USB memory stick that contain tracks from 2 or more discs are showing the tracks in the order of disc 1, track 1; disc 2, track 1; disc 1 track 2, disc 2, track 2; .... All of which means that I cannot play a piece such as Handel's Messiah, for example, in proper order.
Is that true in Album view or just folder view? Have not tried it in awhile but Album view used to be OK where folder view was not.

I think track ordering is still based on the first number(s) in the filename. Not 100% sure - I did some testing on this when they fixed something a while back, but can't remember the details. At least in folder view, which is all I ever use. If you want a multidisk album to play in the correct order, you need to add the disk number to the front of the track number, so file names would be
101 - track name
102 - track name
201 - track name
202 - track name etc...

Just adding my experiences over the years. In my 2013 MS USB Audio worked though album cover art was hit or miss. Then sometime in 2014-15 a firmware update lead to many "loading error" issues with the same USB stick I had always used (and also with a trial of a different stick). I ended up not using USB until my MCU-1 failed and was replaced with an MCU-1-LTE. USB started working again though the cover art was still an issue.

This year I got a Raven MS. The cover art issue decreased, especially after I converted all my music to MP3 (not sure why since AAC has the same tags) but isn't entirely gone. However, I'm getting random ~1 second pauses during playback both with AAC and now with MP3. This never occurred with my 2013 MS.

The other new problem is my Raven is quick to lose track of what audio source was last playing. It's worse with USB vs BT phone. My 2013 did a much better job of continuing whatever I was last playing.

I really have never understood why Tesla can't use embedded cover art like billions of cell phones can. Every one of my music tracks has embedded art.

I also don't understand the audio 'blips' and haven't been able to find anyone with any way to prevent them. I was really attempting to solve this when I converted all my tracks to MP3 but it didn't work.

What kind of drive are you using? I don't have the issues you are having, at least not any more, but I had to experiment with a variety of drives to find something that worked. I also have album art working 100%. Mt car is a model 3 though - don't know how much difference that makes in the current scheme of things.

What kind of drive are you using? I don't have the issues you are having, at least not any more, but I had to experiment with a variety of drives to find something that worked. I also have album art working 100%. Mt car is a model 3 though - don't know how much difference that makes in the current scheme of things.

Good suggestion. I'm using a Samsung 128GB USB3.1 thumb drive with two partitions. The first one is for recording Dashcam and the second, 30GB, is for audio. I have now tried out a SanDisk 32GB and a Sony 4GB, both USB2. Neither of those have the intermittent pause problem. Of course, there are two variables; USB3.1 vs USB2 and partitioned vs not partitioned. I just ordered a 128GB USB3.1 SanDisk drive. I'll post my results.

I think you have lucked out with your cover art. For whatever reason, some artists and some albums are not in whatever database Tesla is using because, unfortunately, they won't display the cover art embedded in e[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]ach track. However, My wife's Lexus is even worse in that it if it can't find the right album it seems to display some random cover. With my MS I'm frequently surprised at the relative obscurity of some albums that display art and likewise surprised of the lack of cover art in hit albums by mainstream artists.

This cover art issue used to extend to Bluetooth audio from my iPhone. That seems to have been solved. Whatever is displayed on the phone is now displayed on the car.[/FONT]

Album art in music played via USB is strictly from the embedded art in the tags, only bluetooth stuff uses (or used to use) the online database (with "interesting" results). There are still a lot of variables - while you can embed .png and several other formats, the tesla player may not recognize them. Also it's possible larger sized files might not work. And while album art with mp3 and flac files seem to work ok, I've had a few aac files still not work correctly. (<<< this is all assuming the model 3 and S usb audio system is pretty similar these days, which I think is the case, but I could be wrong)

A few things to consider for the intermittent pause issue - for whatever reason the tesla engineers don't seem to have used a file transfer buffer for the usb audio, unlike just about every other good audio file player out there. So, you've very much at the mercy of the controller chip in your drive. And there's a lot of variability in these, and manufacturers will use different ones, sometimes even in the same brand drive, depending on what they can get, which is cheaper, etc. Some will work great, some, not so much. This is one of the reasons you'll hear people complaining about a certain type of drive dying too soon, and other people with the same drive not having any problems.

So - consider not partitioning your drive, but using seperate drives for dashcam use and audio. That way that little unbuffered audio data stream will have an easier time getting to where it needs to go, without being interrupted by dashcam writes that need to share the same data stream through that tiny cheap controller. Also consider a more robust drive, like an ssd, with their significantly better controller chips if you still have problems.

FWIW what I use - for dashcam, a sandisk extreme portable ssd, 250gb, which has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. Audio, I've experimented with a lot of things, but what seems to be working is a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077SL4FZG/ inside a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788HBLDZ/ - formatted ext4. Each of the above is plugged into it's own usb port. The benefit of this somewhat extreme drive for audio is when plugging it in it catalogs everything really fast, and it stays catalogued; and it always remembers where it is over power cycles. I've heard that other people have gotten good results with more ordinary thumb drive type things, so feel free to experiment and see what works for you and your car. Remember the variable controller chip issue - it's quite possible that the same thing is happening with the usb driver chips tesla uses.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Album art in music played via USB is strictly from the embedded art in the tags, only bluetooth stuff uses (or used to use) the online database (with "interesting" results). There are still a lot of variables - while you can embed .png and several other formats, the tesla player may not recognize them.

[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]That's not my experience with the Album Art. Do you have a source that confirms that Tesla can use the embedded artwork from USB files?

I ran some tests with albums that were and were not showing art. In the "was not displayed" category I created MPEG and AAC files that used JPEG, PNG and no-art-attached to each file. In all cases no artwork was ever displayed.

In the "was displayed" category I created MPEG files with no artwork attached. Despite that the artwork was displayed in my Model S. This indicates to me that the USB track art is being obtained from some service, not directly from the track.

A good way to test would be to go someplace with no cell service and see what happens with displaying Album Art. I don't have anyplace nearby I can do that.

I replaced my Samsung Fit 128GB https://tinyurl.com/y5xscgqh with a SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB https://tinyurl.com/w8gn7uq partitioned into two same size volumes as the Samsung. The SanDisk is working fine so far with none of the intermittent pausing.

As for using two drives, one for audio and one for the cameras; the problem is that only the two front seat USBs can be used for those purposes and one is occupied by the wireless phone charger.

Thanks again for the drive manufacturer idea. Changing drives solved my primary problem.[/FONT]

That's not my experience with the Album Art. Do you have a source that confirms that Tesla can use the embedded artwork from USB files?

usb-art.png

I don't have any additional image files on my flash drive. Just the music files.

That's not my experience with the Album Art. Do you have a source that confirms that Tesla can use the embedded artwork from USB files?
I don't have a linkable source; while I did read it somewhere, I have no idea where. My experience is quite different than yours regarding this - it's most likely that the model 3 just works differently in this regard. My car always displays the album art I embed, which is quite often not the standard art for the tracks, and this works even with no connectivity. I'm near the end of a very long road trip all over the US currently, and have often had spells with no connectivity, and it's always displayed the correct art.

Reactions: aesculus
I don't have a linkable source; while I did read it somewhere, I have no idea where. My experience is quite different than yours regarding this - it's most likely that the model 3 just works differently in this regard. My car always displays the album art I embed, which is quite often not the standard art for the tracks, and this works even with no connectivity. I'm near the end of a very long road trip all over the US currently, and have often had spells with no connectivity, and it's always displayed the correct art.

This is a model S based thread, i'm a model 3 owner, I should bow out. Apparently there are enough differences that my situation doesn't work cross platform.

View attachment 595350
I don't have any additional image files on my flash drive. Just the music files.
We're talking about embedded album art - you don't need extra files. The album art is embedded within the music files in the tag part at the front (or end) of the file, the part that contains the song and file info. Using a dedicated tag editor you can edit these tags, and add small image files. Quite a lot, or most of the digital music you can get these days come with some kind of album art already in the tags.