Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computing platform reveal: Intel and nVidia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder ... did Tesla extract a ‘concession’ from Intel to allow Tesla to buy Mobileye chips again? I know Tesla changes technology like underwear (ie, often), but swapping out the MCU wouldn’t be done lightly. You would think there would be a good reason for the switch. Cost? Performance? Access to Mobileye chips? I’m just suspicious about Tesla’s inability to get parity with AP v1 still, I wonder if they decided to have a fall back.

I wonder ... did Tesla extract a ‘concession’ from Intel to allow Tesla to buy Mobileye chips again? I know Tesla changes technology like underwear (ie, often), but swapping out the MCU wouldn’t be done lightly. You would think there would be a good reason for the switch. Cost? Performance? Access to Mobileye chips? I’m just suspicious about Tesla’s inability to get parity with AP v1 still, I wonder if they decided to have a fall back.

This has nothing to do with Mobileye.

Exactly. ^^^
It’s pretty obvious from reading the article that the AP hardware is still Nvidia.
The big change is using an Intel proc for the media system etc.

I didn't say they were looking to dump nVidia for AP (although there are rumors they will eventually do just that when they build a custom chip set), I said that maybe they will go back to augmenting nVidia with Mobileye until they can get AP on nVidia working better than AP 1.0. That was Tesla's original plan before Mobileye got pissed off at them and declined to sell them chips. Now that Intel owns Mobileye, the strategic calculation changes and no doubt Intel would love to see more Intel chips in Tesla and Tesla would have been a fool to not extract a concession to allow them to buy Mobileye chips going forward should they choose to now that Tesla is using Intel for the MCU.

The only question is whether the AP board for Model 3 ALSO contains the Mobileye chip or not - remember than Tesla has ALREADY done the hardware engineering for this - there is actually a spot on the existing Model S/X Nvidia board for a Mobileye chip.

I didn't say they were looking to dump nVidia for AP (although there are rumors they will eventually do just that when they build a custom chip set), I said that maybe they will go back to augmenting nVidia with Mobileye until they can get AP on nVidia working better than AP 1.0. That was Tesla's original plan before Mobileye got pissed off at them and declined to sell them chips. Now that Intel owns Mobileye, the strategic calculation changes and no doubt Intel would love to see more Intel chips in Tesla and Tesla would have been a fool to not extract a concession to allow them to buy Mobileye chips going forward should they choose to now that Tesla is using Intel for the MCU.

The only question is whether the AP board for Model 3 ALSO contains the Mobileye chip or not - remember than Tesla has ALREADY done the hardware engineering for this - there is actually a spot on the existing Model S/X Nvidia board for a Mobileye chip.
I may be mistaken, but doesn’t the Mobileye chip exist where the camera is housed? This unit appears to be housed where the AP brain is housed which means it isn’t in the camera housing.

You'd have to explain how a general purpose Intel Atom CPU has anything to do with auto-pilot... because it does not have the horsepower and is not designed for that application.

Now if you want to argue that Tesla threw Intel a bone by purchasing Atom for the multi-media system to make inroads with them for some future AP hardware purchase, only a handful of execs at Tesla would have any insight into that.