Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully understand your sentiment as an investor and hence the tenor of your post. I imagine you could have a significant position in the company stocks related to its financial well being, but please consider that those who are "frustrate" do have some valid gripes, especially those that put in $40k and waited for 3 years are now being asked to confirm what they perceived as incomplete data. Every enthusiasts and owners of MS and Roadster wish Tesla to be successful for the sake of their "sank cost" in the vehicles. I feel that over 95% of the members in this forum all want Tesla to prosper and mature as the best BEV manufacturer. Some just express their message in different tones/style, such as full of forgiveness and tolerance for delays and performance versus others demanding timely delivery of product feature and published performance.

Hell, I'm not even a sig preorder and feel terrible about how these customers are being treated. What business tells their best customers "you have to pay us 100k+ for this car, and you can't see it, and you can't drive it. You just have to trust us that it's amazing." I mean this is becoming pathetic. It's been 3 years... they should have had these things figured out by now. The communication of this company is atrocious.

Another thing: Elon is quoted about how luxurious, how amazing these 2nd row seats are going to be. Whats so great about them? they don't swivel, don't recline, they don't even fold down. They have no arm rests... what CAN they do?

I agree. The third row has always been designed for adults. IMHO, the rear seat of the six seat option should allow some extra leg room towards the center when the high school basketball team is traveling to the game or pep rally.

I agree also that the 3rd row is designed for adults, but no-one should imagine that high school basketball players can fit in there; look at that sloping roof/hatch, I'm guessing the 3rd row height limit is 5' 6"-8".

PS: This new option goes back about 10 days according to the advisor. The feedback from buyers got the attention of someone.

While I can appreciate Tesla's quick reaction, at the same time, this is slightly concerning. How did nobody think to make captain's chairs an option prior to this? Also, if I were configuring right now, I'd be disinclined to order the six seat configuration knowing it was such a last-minute add (which now helps explain the lack of inboard armrests, reclining seats, optional console, etc. associated to this option).

In regard to delays, CORRECT - NO DELAY. Those who don't read the whole thread miss out on the early communication with Tesla Motors. NO DELAY with either interior seat option. That is why they insisted we get our answers in today.

Thanks for the info Mark. If Tesla really wanted all our orders in today they'd be answering more questions; I've received some answers, some things I was asked not to share and some things I was asked to wait till next week. There's a marketing launch being planned (which I'm fine with) next week so there's no reason to rush the orders in if anyone's not ready to.

I wonder why no armrests.. Armrests make the seat much more comortable in my opinion.
I completely agree, it would be very uncomfortable to have no support on one side. For some reason its giving me the feeling (painful) of an aircraft isle seat with no arm rest...tad bit of exaggeration but seriously it could prove to be very uncomfortable from an ergonomic standpoint.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told the individual seats would operate separately and the 3 seat 2nd row bench is one piece and moves forward and backward as one unit.

I doubt that can be correct. I don't have a definitive answer but I thought the three seats operated independently; if the 2nd row only moves as a single unit then putting one long item in the cargo area would turn it into a 2 seater without even a 1/3-2/3 split.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy that. Perhaps they moved up the timeline, but getting new seats designed and tested is not a 10-day job....

I would love tto hear thoughts on this theory of mine. Its crudely put but hopefully conveys what I am thinking for the most part:-

1) When a company introduces product and feature and a bunch of WOWsers in ONE shot, blows people away => Great huh but how long does the emotional reaction last (hmm.. think some Apple product introductions?)
BUT
2) When a company meets expectations for the most part, while under-performing(holding back) a tad bit on the WOW factors and expectations, and just sits on it for a while letting the fans brainstorm the missing WOWsers and wating more.. and introduces them one by one to make the fans/followers feel they are part of the process(with a good bit of attention to the timing). Does it feel like instant gratification on the fan-base demands and wishlist? Does this approach invoke a much stronger emotional reaction and a longer lasting one compared to a option 1? Could this lead to a more loyal fan base where the fans/followers/enthusiasts get involved in story-telling about the product line, how they thought of how "it" (the feature/product) could be done.. so and so forth..

I mentioned in another post how hard it is to get a reservation at some of those hot restaurants. In the end it's still the product not the marketing make or fail a company. No one would buy the X if it's not the very best even if Elon himself knock on the door begging. Yes I'm giving them the slack but it's far more important for them to put all their resources into the product than into "communication".

Going to respectfully disagree here - I see way to many start-ups crash and burn because they could not scale to match their success. Riffing off you restaurant example, no matter now great the food is, if the service is slow and surly and the bathrooms are dirty, the place will not thrive.

With the MX "launch", Tesla lost control of a simple thing like the pricing of the product, so initial coverage pegging the vehicle at $132K which is going to stick in peoples minds. How much business will Tesla lose because of this? Uncertain, but its a hole they should not need to dig themselves out of.

Going to respectfully disagree here - I see way to many start-ups crash and burn because they could not scale to match their success. Riffing off you restaurant example, no matter now great the food is, if the service is slow and surly and the bathrooms are dirty, the place will not thrive.

With the MX "launch", Tesla lost control of a simple thing like the pricing of the product, so initial coverage pegging the vehicle at $132K which is going to stick in peoples minds. How much business will Tesla lose because of this? Uncertain, but its a hole they should not need to dig themselves out of.

Tesla is going though growing pains no question but it's always the product that makes or fails a company. Long as it continues to make greatest cars on earth Tesla will thrive. You almost have to beg to get a new 911 Turbo or Hellcat but people don't have problem with that. Or that soup nazi always have a long line outside his restaurant waiting to be abused. It's not that there is no room for improvement but this "communication problem" has been blown out of proprotion by a few and I don't believe it will hurt Tesla. For most of us who are not trying to get the car before everyone else it's no big deal long as we eventually get an awesome car. And it likely will have zero effect on potential buyers outside this forum.

I have also been thinking about this $132K price fiasco. I'm still not sure if this is such a bad thing. It's definitely an oversight, or lack of hindsight, but it wouldn't be an issue if not for a few SA type started to attack Tesla as making rich man's toy with government subsidy. But those Tesla haters would never buy the car anyway. On the other hand this kind of reinforced the perception that X is a very high end car to the general population. There are people who could afford and do buy $132k cars they would not care. People who could only afford $90K cars may even think it's a great deal. Anyway in a nut shell what Tesla needs to do is to continue to make greatest cars on earth above anything else.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy that. Perhaps they moved up the timeline, but getting new seats designed and tested is not a 10-day job....
My guess is that all of the designs have been worked out long ago, but Tesla chose the bench seat. When the customers fussed, they went back to the designs they already had. The company that makes the seats looks to be very flexible: http://futurisgroup.com/solutions/

In regard to delays, CORRECT - NO DELAY. Those who don't read the whole thread miss out on the early communication with Tesla Motors. NO DELAY with either interior seat option. That is why they insisted we get our answers in today.
Not arguing with what you heard, but I think that person may not know the real schedule or was asked to convey the message in that manner. :tongue: This would not be the first time that schedule promised slide.:wink:
When you confirmed, do you get a VIN right away? I still think that 7 seater will be produced first, sorry!

Last edited:
I doubt that can be correct. I don't have a definitive answer but I thought the three seats operated independently; if the 2nd row only moves as a single unit then putting one long item in the cargo area would turn it into a 2 seater without even a 1/3-2/3 split.
The prototype Model X shown at previous events looked to be independent. This week I asked the advisor on multiple days if the production bench moved as one piece, the answer was always "yes." To be more specific, I said, "So the 2nd row is like taking the bench seat from Model S and making it move forward and backward as one piece." He agreed. (Don't forget my earlier post - the bench or two seat option do NOT fold, and they do NOT recline.) He did mention that both bench and single seats will tilt forward to help add cargo space. He was very clear that when choosing the Six Seat Interior, that would result in two independent moving seats. It was one of the reasons I chose that configuration.

UPDATE: Keep reading this thread. Forum members have wisely mentioned the "Independently operable" text from the Design Studio. My assumption right now is another possibility, that the side control may move all three seats together in alignment and some other method might be provided for moving separate seat sections forward and backward. On Saturday, one advisor emailed and could not confirm the actual operation. Since this post will not be editable soon, please read on and enjoy the adventure through the forest of conflicting information.

Last edited:
If we were to believe someone's post that the 6 seater was photoshopped, we can speculate that the 6 seater is no where near ready. When you are at the launch next Tuesday, please ask to see the 6 seater prototype.:wink:
I don't expect to view a prototype, I plan on seeing the final production car in both versions! I also look forward to seeing the Figured Ash Décor interior and the larger windshield. Most of all, I hope the present and future owners of Tesla vehicles that post on this forum will enjoy an informative time at the Model X Launch Event or by watching it at home..

While I can appreciate Tesla's quick reaction, at the same time, this is slightly concerning. How did nobody think to make captain's chairs an option prior to this? Also, if I were configuring right now, I'd be disinclined to order the six seat configuration knowing it was such a last-minute add (which now helps explain the lack of inboard armrests, reclining seats, optional console, etc. associated to this option).

Wait, the captain's seats don't recline?

I don't expect to view a prototype, I plan on seeing the final production car in both versions! I also look forward to seeing the Figured Ash Décor interior and the larger windshield. Most of all, I hope the present and future owners of Tesla vehicles that post on this forum will enjoy an informative time at the Model X Launch Event or by watching it at home..
If it be production ready for both, then everyone is happy:biggrin: I don't mind being wrong:wink:

Last edited: