Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration of 2 captains chairs and 6 seats is available now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean to invent a canvas bag that has loops around both frong seats and a large bag that opens to the rear, which sits on the console. You load up your 4x4s with the ends in the bag, and it prevents the lumber from slideing forward even in a hard stop. I can sell DOZENS of these.

Seems like a good idea to me. You might be able to sell them to other SUV owners as well.

I think that would be very unfortunate given at the reveal they marched 7 adults and all of their luggage out of the vehicle. Any the production car should always be better than the concept car according to Elon. Now if the second row has their seats moved way back for a ton of leg room I could see the third row being a little cramped, but if they all take equal leg room I'd expect 7 adults to ride comfortably.

Some of the new screen shots out today (in another thread) have new language fro Tesla indicating that the third row is suitable for adults. I don't think they used the term spacious but I find the comment encouraging none the less.

Yes, then I was told repeatedly I couldn't. Thanks to a friend, it got pushed up the chain and then I was told I could, and now this. I suspect things are mighty hectic at Tesla right now.
I appreciate your unvaverying positivity, AnOutsider. If I was treated like this as a signature reservation holder, my choice of words would like reflect less patience and more annoyance. I hope you can talk them into giving you another week to decide.

Thinking about this with a purely Tesla-internal bean counter mentality I can sense some interesting silver lining here:
Hypothesis: they are trying to fill their production pipeline. a lot of early Signature reservation holders have deferred, canceled, are delaying confirmation. Given their lead time and their planned delivery schedule, they really need to get more people to confirm their orders.
So this could mean that production and delivery of the Sigs could be sooner than I so far had believed.
(or of course it could be that a lot more Sigs than assumed have not clicked "confirmed" yet)

Yes, then I was told repeatedly I couldn't. Thanks to a friend, it got pushed up the chain and then I was told I could, and now this. I suspect things are mighty hectic at Tesla right now.

If I were you, the question I'd ask is whether they plan to just carpet over the mount for the third middle seat. That is, will there still be a "socket" or mounting hardware for the center seat, even if you don't choose it? I assume it will be there, because this is the easiest way for them to eliminate the seat. It will also be important to know if the wiring harness for the third seat controls will be stubbed out there.

The result of this would be that a center seat retrofit would be easily possible, in the case that you later decided to add it.

I appreciate your unvaverying positivity, AnOutsider. If I was treated like this as a signature reservation holder, my choice of words would like reflect less patience and more annoyance. I hope you can talk them into giving you another week to decide.

Thinking about this with a purely Tesla-internal bean counter mentality I can sense some interesting silver lining here:
Hypothesis: they are trying to fill their production pipeline. a lot of early Signature reservation holders have deferred, canceled, are delaying confirmation. Given their lead time and their planned delivery schedule, they really need to get more people to confirm their orders.
So this could mean that production and delivery of the Sigs could be sooner than I so far had believed.
(or of course it could be that a lot more Sigs than assumed have not clicked "confirmed" yet)

I agree with you dirkhh. But I think that will all change come Wednesday morning. :)

If I were you, the question I'd ask is whether they plan to just carpet over the mount for the third middle seat. That is, will there still be a "socket" or mounting hardware for the center seat, even if you don't choose it? I assume it will be there, because this is the easiest way for them to eliminate the seat. It will also be important to know if the wiring harness for the third seat controls will be stubbed out there.

The result of this would be that a center seat retrofit would be easily possible, in the case that you later decided to add it.

While nice, the rep I spoke to didn't really have any info to offer. Questions I asked were side-stepped and the void was filled with marketing-speak. I didn't get a solid response to my questions re: folding (he said something like, well we're not doing this because there's anything wrong with the 3 seat configuration, just offering signature owners a chance at this no-cost option) or arm-rest (IMO captain's chairs have armrests).

So, only 4 child seat attachments, whether in 6 or 7 passenger configuration?

Which seats would have the child seat attachments, rear 2 seats and the outside 2 in the middle row?

If only outside seats in the middle row have attachments, it would make it hard for a non-child to sit in the middle row, would have to sit sandwiched by 2 child seats?

FYI, my sister's highlander has plenty of room in the middle row with one child seat on the left side and one in the middle, and adult can sit comfortably in the right middle seat.

So, only 4 child seat attachments, whether in 6 or 7 passenger configuration?

Which seats would have the child seat attachments, rear 2 seats and the outside 2 in the middle row?

If only outside seats in the middle row have attachments, it would make it hard for a non-child to sit in the middle row, would have to sit sandwiched by 2 child seats?

FYI, my sister's highlander has plenty of room in the middle row with one child seat on the left side and one in the middle, and adult can sit comfortably in the right middle seat.

Could be like the S and has latch points but only recommended you use 2 seats at a time.

For those who desire Model X for cargo purpose, may be there should be another seat configuration if implementation of prototype-like folding flat second row seats are impossible:

How about complete removal of the entire second row?

Pros:
1) That would give the third row seats lots of leg rooms.
2) And when they are folded, that would give more cargo space than the prototype could.
3) Tesla saves the expenses of 3 seats.

Cons:
1) That's still not better than the prototype's configuration.
2) Losing 1 seat is bad, and now you are talking about 3 seats?
3) Tesla may have to pay for the cost of customized configurations on the assembly line.

What would you suggest for Tesla to do to make Cargo-Storage-Conscious owners happy?

While nice, the rep I spoke to didn't really have any info to offer. Questions I asked were side-stepped and the void was filled with marketing-speak. I didn't get a solid response to my questions re: folding (he said something like, well we're not doing this because there's anything wrong with the 3 seat configuration, just offering signature owners a chance at this no-cost option) or arm-rest (IMO captain's chairs have armrests).

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with this. Very hopeful you get more leeway on your timing.

I think if I were forced to choose right now, I'd go with the 6-seat setup. That's how we keep our van, and while we could fit three in the third row, we've never done that. Six is enough. That gap in the 2nd row allows more space for moving around (while parked of course), changing clothes at the beach, or whatever. It makes the third row occupants feel more "together" with the rest of the occupants as well, in my experience.

I think if I were forced to choose right now...

But the is the point, Sig reservation holders should not be forced into this position. Sig reservation holders should not have to make a $100K decision with less information than someone watching the live stream on Tuesday night. If Tesla has a low conversion rate right now with potential Sig owners, its their own fault.

This is another epic Tesla communications fail.

But the is the point, Sig reservation holders should not be forced into this position. Sig reservation holders should not have to make a $100K decision with less information than someone watching the live stream on Tuesday night. If Tesla has a low conversion rate right now with potential Sig owners, its their own fault. This is another epic Tesla communications fail.
I am speculating big time here:
MX first design for immediate production is with 7 seats and non-folding. They got the feedback that 7 seater non-folding design is not generating enough takers, so they quickly provided the 6 seater option to keep MX alive. Meanwhile, factory needs as many 7 seater confirmed in order to start the production ramp-up ASAP. Hence the "nag" on earlier reservation to confirm. Make sense?:wink:

But the is the point, Sig reservation holders should not be forced into this position. Sig reservation holders should not have to make a $100K decision with less information than someone watching the live stream on Tuesday night. If Tesla has a low conversion rate right now with potential Sig owners, its their own fault.

This is another epic Tesla communications fail.

Nobody held a gun up to someone's head and stated "You MUST be the very first one to take delivery of this vehicle, or you will never get it at all!"

Nobody also is holding a gun up to someone's head and stating "You are no longer permitted to defer your order until you have more information".

Tesla has thousands of people who are more than willing to confirm without full info. For those who are not sure, they can defer, and it they're still not sure they can cancel. Deferring means you have access to every single tiny little detail about every single aspect of the MX.

It's no different than a Kickstarter campaign, the newest smartphone to come out, or any sort of pre-order for that matter.

MX first design for immediate production is with 7 seats and non-folding. They got the feedback that 7 seater non-folding design is not generating enough takers, so they quickly provided the 6 seater option to keep MX alive. Meanwhile, factory needs as many 7 seater confirmed in order to start the production ramp-up ASAP. Hence the "nag" on earlier reservation to confirm. Make sense?:wink:

Perhaps, but as someone noted up-thread, this seems like a big change to be making on the fly....?

Nobody held a gun up to someone's head and stated "You MUST be the very first one to take delivery of this vehicle, or you will never get it at all!"

Nobody also is holding a gun up to someone's head and stating "You are no longer permitted to defer your order until you have more information".

Tesla has thousands of people who are more than willing to confirm without full info. For those who are not sure, they can defer, and it they're still not sure they can cancel. Deferring means you have access to every single tiny little detail about every single aspect of the MX.

It's no different than a Kickstarter campaign, the newest smartphone to come out, or any sort of pre-order for that matter.

That's exactly what it is. Everyone is free to choose how he'd like to proceed. The only problem this might cause is for those who choose to get their car before anyone else does. As for me I would jump to the opportunity to have mine configured at this moment (yes 6 seat for me) if I'm allowed to.

Makes sense to me.

Eloder, please stop saying this. It's coming across as blaming the "victim" here, and it doesn't help relieve the situation (for me anyway):

Nobody held a gun up to someone's head and stated "You MUST be the very first one to take delivery of this vehicle, or you will never get it at all!".

As I said the last time you posted this, no one said we would need to confirm with very little info either. By the time I needed to lock in my Model S I had an abundance of info. I first drove one about 6 months prior to actually accepting delivery. I was a signature reservation holder then as well. There was no reason to assume I'd be buying a mystery box this time around.

No gun involved, but yes, I was told this multiple times until someone with a bit more clout stepped in for me and pushed it up the chain to get my order placed on hold.

In my opinion, it's VERY different, and we aren't talking $XXX-$XXXX (that you might lose) in a pledge for a product.

Mostly makes sense to me, except I was told there was no timing change for 6 or 7 seat, so it would seem to me it doesn't make a difference.

Tesla is way too dependent on early adopters and fanboys giving them slack--its an addiction that will hurt the company in the long run. Yes, they are thousands of people that will finalize sight unseen, but being dependent on that behavior will not help Tesla build the operational discipline and expertise to deal with the hundreds of thousands who will not.