Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per my tech there had been a lot of ongoing conflicting information, but a new article now approves this hitch assembly to be put on in place of the existing factory bumper. Here are pictures of the trailer hitch assembly, before this I had the plain bumper. Do you all think the V5 corresponds to this being the 5th iteration? There was a plug on the wiring harness that was already there for the wiring plug to connect to. My understanding is there may be only one harness for Xs out of simplicity. From what I understood it may be on all our Xs, as it is easier to have one harness.

If you are getting conflicting info from your service center PM me the first and last name, and telephone number at the service center that said it couldn't be done and I will ask my local Tesla tech to contact them as long as his good will holds out.

IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

Last edited:
To give the full story, it actually took two attempts to get the retrofit done. The same tech tried to do it about a month ago, and stopped when he thought the hitch was not compatible with my bumper. The tech stopped, put everything back to it's original state, and has spent the last month or so getting additional guidance from Fremont.

I went back to see if I had any pictures from the first attempt, specifically the original bumper and I had this one additional picture of the accessory hitch. Looking at this picture I can now see I was mistaken earlier in the thread, and recollected incorrectly, and have changed it. The plug underneath and to the side of the the ball hitch mount was not already there, but the wiring on the hitch had a place to plug into on my Xs wiring harness.

20161013_095331.jpg
ech led me to believe that our Xs may have just one wiring harness.

I'm thrilled that Telsa is supporting a retrofit for those of you without the package. However, their pricing is seriously nuts.

It's $750 if you buy it on a new car. One where they don't need to put the other bumper on at the factory (saving money) and the install is basically free since it only takes a few seconds longer in production to install this than the other bumper.

However, you can go to your service center and buy the parts for $150 less and install them yourself? Yes, there is labor you don't know how to spin a wrench. But Tesla has to deal with all these individual parts, package them, ship them around the country, and inventory them, pay for the original bumper, and they charge you 20% less for the privilege? I'd jump on this ASAP if you're interested because I don't think it's going to last at that price once they realize how they're distorting the market.

If you already have the "accessory hitch" ($250) which has been shown to be the same as the full towing minus the software, how much do they charge just to turn the software on?

I picked up my X in December, and they had forgotten the accessory hitch I ordered. They shipped it to me and it just arrived today. It appears to be the full towing hitch, with wiring and everything, in a nice bag. I'm also curious what they would charge to unlock the towing Software (I'm guessing the $500 difference). Does anyone know how to check in the UI to see if towing software is (hopefully mistakenly) activated?