Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmation - you can add accessory or towing package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had my X for a week now and I have no idea why it took me this long to check but..... I have the full tow package! Yeah for me!

Build sheet shows it only has the accessory hitch but I guess at some point they just started installing the full tow package like someone else mentioned.

I was going through all my menu items and saw the tow mode greyed out and was bummed but then saw you had to press brake pedal to switch on. So I pressed the brake and BOOM... It lit up. I then popped the cover off the bottom of the bumper to see if I had the trailer wiring harness and I did.

Of course, the plug adaptor and hitch were not in my car at delivery (I got an inventory car) so they had to order those parts. I called them today to ensure she ordered the real trailer hitch (2") and not just the accessory one (1 1/4").

So jacked. Just saved me $1250!

Jason

Well I called my Tampa SC this week and met the same resistance that this could not be done...pressed them a little harder giving the parts information to look up...They called me back and said "WE LEARNED SOMETHING NEW!"..parts are on order! Hoping to get this done as soon as parts come into the local shop. Thanks to all!

So I've had my X for a week now and I have no idea why it took me this long to check but..... I have the full tow package! Yeah for me!

Build sheet shows it only has the accessory hitch but I guess at some point they just started installing the full tow package like someone else mentioned.

I was going through all my menu items and saw the tow mode greyed out and was bummed but then saw you had to press brake pedal to switch on. So I pressed the brake and BOOM... It lit up. I then popped the cover off the bottom of the bumper to see if I had the trailer wiring harness and I did.

Of course, the plug adaptor and hitch were not in my car at delivery (I got an inventory car) so they had to order those parts. I called them today to ensure she ordered the real trailer hitch (2") and not just the accessory one (1 1/4").

So jacked. Just saved me $1250!

Jason

Just want to make sure that you aren't confusing trailer mode with tow mode. Tow mode is when you have to tow the car itself, all Tesla's have that option

• Informative
Reactions: Terthen
Oh well. Back to square one.

I don't understand why the wiring harness is there if you can't tow a trailer using the accessory hitch. Seems counterintuitive. I guess some accessory hitches also have lights?

So if that is the case what happens when you plug the lighting in for the accessory hitch? Does a trailer mode option appear on your screen? According to the manual, the car detects a connection there and prompts you to enter into trailer mode. Is this just disabled?

Jason

Yup, that point was the day they started building Model X's. ;)

You should have had them order both so and then returned the 1.25" one after you took a picture to verify it's existence. :rolleyes::p;)

Yup, that point was the day they started building Model X's. ;)

You should have had them order both so and then returned the 1.25" one after you took a picture to verify it's existence. :rolleyes::p;)

My wife's Model S was returned to us today after some service and they brought the hitch with them for me. They gave me the 2" hitch that should come with the full Tow Pkg.... Now I am thoroughly confused. I don't know if they gave that to me cause I really have the tow pkg or if they just ordered the wrong part #.

I called another Tesla service center and they basically told me the only way to know for sure is to have the vehicle come in for a physical inspection.

Amazing.

Do you have a photo of this plate from your vehicle? Or the Bosal model number? I'd be happy to compare with mine.
Thanks ohm man, here are the pics:
Do you have a photo of this plate from your vehicle? Or the Bosal model number? I'd be happy to compare with mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 151
My wife's Model S was returned to us today after some service and they brought the hitch with them for me. They gave me the 2" hitch that should come with the full Tow Pkg.... Now I am thoroughly confused. I don't know if they gave that to me cause I really have the tow pkg or if they just ordered the wrong part #.

I called another Tesla service center and they basically told me the only way to know for sure is to have the vehicle come in for a physical inspection.

Amazing.
I don't know what you find so confusing about the fact that the OEM US 1.25" Accessory Hitch doesn't exist. If it's what the service center keeps telling you, ask them to show you a picture of this hitch receiver or produce a part number for said receiver.

Thanks ohm man, here are the pics:

Ah! You appear to have been given the swan neck accessory. That particular accessory has a lower limitation than the 2" receiver, independent of the bar mounted to the X. I thought you had a photo of the underlying bar that is bolted to the back of the X and is covered by the bumper.

What I know is what Bosal says about their hitches, which is that they are designed as OEM equipment in concert with the manufacturer. I cannot see them having a second version of the trailer hitch bar that specifically fits the 8 bolt holes and two mounting locations on the back of the X, especially since we have seen deliveries solely with the tow package.

It is my belief that you can get the 2" receiver piece, which has a higher tongue and tow rating, and be in the same situation as the rest of us.

I don't know what you find so confusing about the fact that the OEM US 1.25" Accessory Hitch doesn't exist. If it's what the service center keeps telling you, ask them to show you a picture of this hitch receiver or produce a part number for said receiver.

It's confusing because Tesla states on the specs that 1.25" is what I should have with the accessory hitch. My build sheet says I have the accessory hitch."

It's confusion because I've called numerous Tesla service centers and not one single person will just say "there is no such thing as an accessory hitch and EVERYONE got the full tow pkg instead. All your missing is the software."

It's confusing because I don't have the trailer tow mode option on my menu.

It's confusing because I was told it would cost either $750 or $1250 to "upgrade" the accessory hitch to the full tow pkg. If there is no such thing as an accessory hitch then what am I paying $750 or $1250 for? The software? If it's just software why are there 2 different prices? I actually don't even need the software. I need the carrying capacity of the full tow pkg so I can know if I can haul my MX bike like I did with my Range Rover. It is carried on a rack, not a trailer. Bike + rack total weight = 350lbs. Since I won't be using a trailer I don't care if I have the software or not.

Any insight you have would be appreciated. You seem to know something I don't. Please provide the source of your knowledge as well. I'm. I'm not interested in your theory or hunch. I need confirmed info. I don't want to be 50 miles down the road and my bike falls off the back and rips my rear bumper off.

Bike + rack total weight = 350lbs

I don't think either option will work for you, as there is a fairly low weight limit for accessories like cargo trays/boxes compared to the supported tongue weight of the towing package. The accessory weight limit is 120lbs. according to Bosal.

Edit: Updated with information found in this thread: Model X hitch accessory overload ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
I don't think either option will work for you, as there is a fairly low weight limit for accessories like cargo trays/boxes compared to the supported tongue weight of the towing package. I don't recall what it is off the top of my head, but pretty sure it is <=250lbs.

I was told by service that weight wouldn't be an issue. For whatever that's worth.

Is there not a tongue weight limit in the owner manual or specs?

Edit - Per owner manual tongue weight limit is 500lbs w 20" wheels and 350lbs w 22s. So I'm good. 350lbs is actually more than what I think it weighs. I think it's just under 300lbs. I told them 350 just to be sure I was good.

Last edited:
I figured I'd email [email protected] to get resolution.

Here is their response. To save you the time of reading it they basically said "We don't know". They forwarded my question to my local service center. How would my local service center know? They didn't design the car or tow package. Ugh!

"As you’ve noted, the guide states that the maximum tongue weight(downward force) is 350 pounds with 22inch wheels, however this is written with the idea a trailer would then be connected. It may be taking weight displacement into account, but this information goes a bit beyond the scope of technical support. At this point I would recommend speaking with service who may have further information. I have proactively submitted a case to them."