Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

Indeed. I also seem to have full control of my PWs atm, which is not normal on the day of an event iirc.

My reserve is currently set to 100% to make sure I’m ready for the event. If I drop it, it starts to discharge to my house. If this change is real does that mean my system would not participate at all today with the 100% reserve set? Relatedly, if I drop the reserve to 0% will it go below the “usual” 20% cutoff?

I’ll try to flip it to 0% a few minutes before the event today to get a data point there… will be annoying if we have to manage it like this, though the possibility of lower discharge might make up for the hassle…
I’ve got mine set for 10% as an additional data point for testing.

Reactions: appleguru
Upvote 0
@appleguru So far my PWs are behaving like previous events. I have not tried to change anything. Got the event notice, PWs auto-switched to storing any solar and grid is being used to power the house. Keeping my reserve at 33% as usual for summer season to test if it goes below.

Not sure why there is an event today though. ISO New England power demand is not high for the day compared to the season and even below the days forecast usage. That and its been raining for days so everyone’s batteries aren’t full.

Upvote 0
@appleguru So far my PWs are behaving like previous events. I have not tried to change anything. Got the event notice, PWs auto-switched to storing any solar and grid is being used to power the house. Keeping my reserve at 33% as usual for summer season to test if it goes below.

Not sure why there is an event today though. ISO New England power demand is not high for the day compared to the season and even below the days forecast usage. That and its been raining for days so everyone’s batteries aren’t full.
Because of the fooling around with percents I was able to get mine to full (but just barely) leading into the event.

• Love
Reactions: appleguru
Upvote 0
At 4:45pm my house started to use the solar and battery instead of storing it all for the event. The banner for the event is still up in the app. At 5pm all the power starting going to the grid and the event started. I think they are still trying to tweak their process or train their employees. I think this is a training event before they really need the power on a hot day.

Upvote 0
7.3 MW from 949 houses on NationalGrid

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
I do think this app UI confirms that the VPP is counting the export from the PWs even if some of that power is being used by the home during an event and not just the export to grid. We’ve suspected this the case for awhile based on payment data.

My app is showing full 15kw exported for the event but about 1.5-2kw of that is currently being used by the home so the main app screen shows only 13’ish kw going to the grid.

Upvote 0
Or there is no-app UI to payment credit correlation whatsoever and we are just hoping there is! 🤣

The app UI really just needs a field, labeled, that is “kw being exported for VPP credit”. Maybe even a page of history so you can see that data point for each event date?! Now I’m just day dreaming… this is Tesla after all, transparency is not their strong suit.

Upvote 0
I do think this app UI confirms that the VPP is counting the export from the PWs even if some of that power is being used by the home during an event and not just the export to grid. We’ve suspected this the case for awhile based on payment data.

My app is showing full 15kw exported for the event but about 1.5-2kw of that is currently being used by the home so the main app screen shows only 13’ish kw going to the grid.
We knew that though! You could consume 100% and export 0 and you would still get full credit. In a way, it makes sense. Either way, you’re offsetting demand on the grid.

Upvote 0
I'm in CT, with Eversource. This is my first experience with the program. When it started at 5 PM there was a spike of 10.8 kw going out, then it was down around 6 or so for a while, now back around 10. My two powerwalls are down to 69%. If/when they draw it down as far as it will go )30%?) it is going to take all day tomorrow to recharge. Today was sunny, and charging from 70% to 100% took almost to noon. Tomorrow doesn't look to be as sunny.

Upvote 0
I'm with National Grid in Bellingham and still haven't received my check from *last* year (Tesla is clueless as to why)... in addition, I haven't seen this new UI so I am questioning if I'm even enrolled still this year...
I’m with National Grid here in Lowell MA and also have no check from last year. I don’t have the new UI and, like you, wonder if I’m still enrolled. Contacted Tesla Energy yesterday and they can offer no help since all they can do is email the infamous Connected Solutions department. Also sent an email to Connected Solutions at NG. No response yet. If anyone has successfully contacted Connected Solutions at Tesla or NG - how did you do it? Would a tweet to Elon help? So frustrating…

Upvote 0
I’m with National Grid here in Lowell MA and also have no check from last year. I don’t have the new UI and, like you, wonder if I’m still enrolled. Contacted Tesla Energy yesterday and they can offer no help since all they can do is email the infamous Connected Solutions department. Also sent an email to Connected Solutions at NG. No response yet. If anyone has successfully contacted Connected Solutions at Tesla or NG - how did you do it? Would a tweet to Elon help? So frustrating…
I have gotten responses and questions answered by emailing ‘[email protected]’ a few times. Latest time for me was this past February.

Upvote 0