Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

2% is the relevant number. The percentage of the percentage is meaningless.
We see things differently.

The number in question represents how much power I have remaining to backup my house in the event of a power outage. With two Powerall 2, rated at 13.5 kWh each, that 20% which was promised comes to 5.4 kWh. The 18% that is actually left is 4.86 kWh. 4.86 is 20% lower than 5.4. My typical daily usage is over 20 kWh, even without AC or charging the car. Every bit may count if the power goes out.

Upvote 0
Either opt out of the events when you think you want backup or opt out of the program if backup is paramount to you.
Yes, I may opt out eventually. Since this is my first experience with the program I figure I should take time to understand it before I make any choices like that. I checked off the box, or filled out the form, when I ordered the system. Since it was another sixteen months until it was installed, and seven more before the program began to operate, if I knew anything at the time I signed up I'm long past remembering it now! :cool:

Reactions: Lmkwin
Upvote 0
We see things differently.

The number in question represents how much power I have remaining to backup my house in the event of a power outage. With two Powerall 2, rated at 13.5 kWh each, that 20% which was promised comes to 5.4 kWh. The 18% that is actually left is 4.86 kWh. 4.86 is 20% lower than 5.4. My typical daily usage is over 20 kWh, even without AC or charging the car. Every bit may count if the power goes out.
This same reason is why I was/am on the fence on continuing with the program. I participated in 60 events last year and got $1500ish 4 or 5 months after the 'season' ended. $25 an event vs worrying about not having sufficient backup power to last. They drain it to the point where you would need to be vigilant IF the power does go out. We had an outage last winter and I was able to turn 20 hours of expected backup to 45 hours of expected backup by flipping off some circuits. Fortunately the power was only out around 8 hours. One thing I wish I had is Notifications when the PW kicks in and kicks out of power backup/ supplement operation.

Upvote 0
I participated in 60 events last year and got $1500ish 4 or 5 months after the 'season' ended. $25 an event vs worrying about not having sufficient backup power to last.
I'm so out of it I don't really have much of an idea how much I might get paid. Eventually.
As for handling a power outage... As long as I am home I can probably handle it, even if the Powerwalls are down that low. Turn off the hot water and AC, unplug this and that, and then wait for morning. My solar panels should be able to carry the house once the sun comes up except on the very worst days, and even the worst days should be fine if I'm around to manage things. And those worst days were all in the winter, when this program is not active.

Upvote 0
I think that the only reason for a 3 hour event is to get the average contribution down so they can pay out less. IF you have 3 PW, maybe you can keep your max contribution at 10wk but for those with 1 or 2, it's not happening. I have 2 PW and I stop contributing max around 2 hours in. Then my solar charges them back up a little above 20% and they take a little more to the grid.

Upvote 0
Under Compensation on the web page explaining the program it says:
Your total compensation will be based on the average kW delivered during all event hours.
My guess is that the number will be the kWh delivered, divided by the event hours.

So, it is possible to track those kW, or kWh? I don't see how. The email I received about the Upcoming Season told me the App would show live information about ConnectedSolutions events. It does that, it shows live information during the event. What was not promised, and what I do not see, is any cumulative or historic information. Nothing about the totals for any of the events, nor for all the events that have occurred this season. I've been known to miss things sometimes, but I don't think I am. I think it is just not available.

Upvote 0
Your total compensation will be based on the average kW delivered during all event hours.
My guess is that the number will be the kWh delivered, divided by the event hours.

So, it is possible to track those kW, or kWh? I don't see how. The email I received about the Upcoming Season told me the App would show live information about ConnectedSolutions events. It does that, it shows live information during the event. What was not promised, and what I do not see, is any cumulative or historic information. Nothing about the totals for any of the events, nor for all the events that have occurred this season. I've been known to miss things sometimes, but I don't think I am. I think it is just not available.
First, there is no way to track it via the app. Second it is tracked on the kW basis, not the kWh basis. The gateway knows the amount being contributed to the program in kW values (and can be tracked via the API). If you look at https://www.nationalgridus.com/media/pdfs/resi-ways-to-save/ma_resi_battery_program_materials.pdf (page 5-6) there is a description of how the math is calculated in the “Incentive Rates and Average Performance” section. And a little lower down it even says “Approved inverter manufacturers must provide 24x7 15-minute interval, or more granular data”.
It is also annoying that we are locked in for 5 years, because the rate keeps going up. Because it is now $275 / kW (before Tesla cut) where I think it was less than $225 when I signed up and Tesla is only giving me $180 or so after their cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHinCT and Lmkwin
Upvote 0
This same reason is why I was/am on the fence on continuing with the program. I participated in 60 events last year and got $1500ish 4 or 5 months after the 'season' ended. $25 an event vs worrying about not having sufficient backup power to last. They drain it to the point where you would need to be vigilant IF the power does go out. We had an outage last winter and I was able to turn 20 hours of expected backup to 45 hours of expected backup by flipping off some circuits. Fortunately the power was only out around 8 hours. One thing I wish I had is Notifications when the PW kicks in and kicks out of power backup/ supplement operation.
I also wonder how so many full throttle deep drawdowns effects the PW battery life.

Upvote 0
I also wonder how so many full throttle deep drawdowns effects the PW battery life.
As you can see in this 2 year graph (for 2 PWs), it is impacting it some, but not significantly as of yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
I think that the only reason for a 3 hour event is to get the average contribution down so they can pay out less. IF you have 3 PW, maybe you can keep your max contribution at 10wk but for those with 1 or 2, it's not happening. I have 2 PW and I stop contributing max around 2 hours in. Then my solar charges them back up a little above 20% and they take a little more to the grid.

Screenshot_20230711-190903[1].png

7 o'clock, I've contributed all I can with my 2 PW setup, for the 2 hours. The last hour just lowers my average contribution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230711-184601[1].png
    Screenshot_20230711-184601[1].png
    862.4 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0
As you can see in this 2 year graph (for 2 PWs), it is impacting it some, but not significantly as of yet.
Looks like 3% after 2 years. But it appeared to 'heal' up after the strong pulls. I'm trying to look at it as if I bought an expensive car and drove it 100 miles an hour for 3 months and then parked it for 9, would I have retained better value leaving it parked for 12. My 60 draws doesn't even power 60 EV full charges.
View attachment 955385

7 o'clock, I've contributed all I can with my 2 PW setup, for the 2 hours. The last hour just lowers my average contribution.
Screenshot_20230711-194736[1].png

Looks like EVERYONE has tapped out in the 3rd hour

Upvote 0
It looks like this year they are pulling the max amount for two of the three hours of the events I’ve seen. Last year they were pulling at a slower rate for the full three hours. In any
case, with my 3 powerwalls they take a total of 30kWh per event, either as 15kW for 2 hours or 10kW for 3 hours. This leaves my powerwalls at 20% when they stop drawing. In either discharge case the average draw would be the same 30kWh/3hours = 10kW. I’m guessing that they would prefer the faster discharge to meet their peak requirements and still pay me the same.

Reactions: jhn_
Upvote 0
It looks like this year they are pulling the max amount for two of the three hours of the events I’ve seen. Last year they were pulling at a slower rate for the full three hours. In any
case, with my 3 powerwalls they take a total of 30kWh per event, either as 15kW for 2 hours or 10kW for 3 hours. This leaves my powerwalls at 20% when they stop drawing. In either discharge case the average draw would be the same 30kWh/3hours = 10kW. I’m guessing that they would prefer the faster discharge to meet their peak requirements and still pay me the same.
What I came here to say. Second this.

Upvote 0
No guessing needed. The event payout is based on average kw over the length of the event times the dollars per kw in your Connected Solutions contract. See earlier discussions in this thread going back two years for more detail.

Reactions: RHinCT
Upvote 0
Looks like 3% after 2 years. But it appeared to 'heal' up after the strong pulls. I'm trying to look at it as if I bought an expensive car and drove it 100 miles an hour for 3 months and then parked it for 9, would I have retained better value leaving it parked for 12. My 60 draws doesn't even power 60 EV full charges.

View attachment 955387

Looks like EVERYONE has tapped out in the 3rd hour
I don't care for this new "Preparing for a grid event". The Preparation starts at 8am. And it's not really a "grid" event. It's a Tesla/utility negotiated deal so they can get superchargers and other utility perks. A deal that shortens my battery life and capacity and may effect the Limited Warranty on the product. And before you say, 'there's a warranty on the battery capacity".... does anyone have a 10 year old PW that has been running as part of the Connected Solutions Program to see how Tesla performs on that Limited Warranty?

Upvote 0
I don't care for this new "Preparing for a grid event". The Preparation starts at 8am. And it's not really a "grid" event. It's a Tesla/utility negotiated deal so they can get superchargers and other utility perks. A deal that shortens my battery life and capacity and may effect the Limited Warranty on the product. And before you say, 'there's a warranty on the battery capacity".... does anyone have a 10 year old PW that has been running as part of the Connected Solutions Program to see how Tesla performs on that Limited Warranty?
They've always prioritized charging the battery on event days. They're just being more transparent about it. This is my 4th year in the program. My 2 PW have lost capacity as they stop discharging about 1:50 into the event.

Upvote 0