Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it isn't a luxury price, not in the world of EVs. At least here in Canada, the MYLR is about $75,000, cheaper than the Mach-e LR, Audi e-tron, the Jaguar iPace, and the Porsche Taycan. And the Tesla S and X.
60k is a luxury price, methinks. People call the Teslas luxury cars all the time. My take is that they're not. Where are the ventilated seats? The leather? The sound deadening? Etc. They're more performance cars than luxury cars, at least in a straight line.

• Funny
Reactions: abasile
I'm probably in the same situation many are in. I have a perfectly good car that I bought new: 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT/ AWD, with every option, perfectly maintained with 48k miles. With the current vehicle shortage my Mazda is probably worth $3-5k more than it would be under normal circumstances.

I've driven the MY Long Range a few times and I'm impressed overall but feel some of it is just odd. I'm going to list some of my concerns about the car and hope some of you here in "the community" can help to quell them.

Frame less doors- The windows roll up/down every time the doors are opened and closed to clear window trim and seal windows better when doors are closed. This seems to be something that was done intentionally to secure repairs later in the vehicle's life cycle.

Sunroof with no shade- It gets damn hot here in Oklahoma. When I test drove the MY I noticed that whatever space age glass Tesla put on this roof it simply doesn't block enough light or heat. I understand there are aftermarket shades but from what I've seen most sag in the middle and look tacky. I've talked to a couple of tint shops and one refused to tint it stating that it could cause heat to build up and crack the glass and the other said they wouldn't because they didn't have the template. This is one area that I feel Tesla really went cheap.

Spartan Interior- This is a Love/Hate thing for me. At first the novelty of it took my breath away. Then I realized almost EVERYTHING is controlled through the display screen. I think there should be either a heads-up display or a small instrument cluster. Although, I did find that I got used to using the center display for speed and other functions. My biggest pet peeve is no dedicated door lock/unlock button.

Thermal battery capacity loss- I've watched several videos discussing this topic and it looks like extreme cold can impact range by over 30%.

Electric door release- The only way to open the doors (from the outside) is thought the electric release door handles. How do you get into this car if it goes completely dead?

I'm still muddling through details and haven't placed my order yet. Tesla's site currently states the delivery date as 6 months out but a service center associate told me delivery would likely be 2-4 months.
I think if you've test driven the MY several times and still have a lot of reservations, I would tend to think you shouldn't buy the car.

For me, I researched the MYP a lot and did a test drive where they let me keep the car overnight. I was almost sold going in and the test drive solidified it for me and I ordered on that night.

My take on some of your concerns:

-Frameless doors: As others have mentioned, the up/down sealing action is normal for this type of design. What does concern me is that the up/down sealing function is tied to the puddle lights. If the puddle light goes out, that window will not lower and you would damage something when closing the door. I have a friend who had a puddle light go out and when his wife closed the door it damaged the trim because the window was all the way up. I installed aftermarket puddle lights so I will try to be extra careful about it, but not great to know that it might cause a problem and I would not be covered by warranty.

-Sunroof: I'm in Minnesota and had the car since 9/1. I don't think there has been many super hot days since then, so it's hard for me to say how much of a heat issue the roof causes. But I'd estimate we get maybe 2 weeks of 90~100F weather in the summer, so it shouldn't be an issue here.

-Spartan interior: My first impression was really negative. The first time I checked out my friend's MY and thought it was extremely down market. However, on the test drive I completely changed my mind and thought it looked pretty decent. Not luxurious by any means, but "down market" was no longer anywhere on my mind. I also thought I might be bothered by the lack of an instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel, but even during the test drive I did not miss it, and having driven the MYP for a month now, I have not missed it whatsoever. I do love the giant screen and have not had any issue getting used to using it for all the functions.

-Thermal battery capacity loss: I knew that's going to happen in the winter in MN, but figured it wouldn't be a big enough detriment for me to getting the car. I guess I will find out soon enough.

-Electric door release: I don't know what would happen if the car dies. Hopefully it never comes to that.

I feel like there are going to be a lot of competitive options coming to market in 2022, so if the MY doesn't do it for you, there will be plenty of other good option in the same price range available soon. That said, I've been extremely happy in the month I've owned the MYP. I love how it drives, I actually enjoy the interior, and the bells and whistles works EXTREMELY well for my current lifestyle (such as Dog Mode for our new dog, video streaming on large screen while waiting for kids during their activities 3-4 days a week, no range issues for my driving needs, etc.).

Reactions: DanDi58
On the Y, does it have a front sensor/camera? Ie currently we use a Q5 and park in the garage. We basically stop right when we hear the front sensor beeping telling my wife she's a foot or whatever away from the concrete wall.

I am reading the Y doesn't have 360 deg or a front camera, but does it at least have some form of sensor for this sort of thing? I figured it did given the auto pilot/FSD stuff must sense objects in front of the car?
You have proximity sensors and live on-screen display of the distance to obstacles in front and back of the car.

The base model I-Pace was pretty close to the performance MY in price. Not sure why the car bombed so much in the US. I'd have bought a second I-Pace, but I like variety and, as I said, wanted the range and charging infrastructure. I looked at the norcal socal drive in the I-Pace and didn't like how much I'd have to wait for charging. The MY can do it with two charges of 30 minutes each.

Both cars do fine on Costco runs, and doubly so with the rear seats down.

The luxury of the MY is nonexistant. This is NOT a luxury car. Not even close. It is a luxury price, though.

That all said, I'm not trying to sell the MY. There's nothing better for my needs available right now. Maybe the new BMWs?
The misconception of Model 3 and Model Y having "luxury" price needs to die. People look at you driving a Tesla as if you were swimming in money and reality being that the Y is basically a mid-range crossover. A packed Toyota RAV4, most Lexuses, loaded F-150 will drain your wallet more than the Model Y Long Range. You see five of these at every traffic light and nobody points fingers how luxurious those owners are. Not even accounting for all the lifetime savings and EV incentives you get with a Tesla.

This is a very affordable car for a typical middle class family in today's day and age IMHO.

60k is a luxury price, methinks.
Maybe for an ICE car, but that's a different sandbox. I think people call a Tesla a "luxury" car because of its exclusivity, or the exclusivity it used to have in the EV marketplace. As EVs become more common, it will become clear that Tesla's are high end cars, but not luxury like the luxury EVs that are starting to emerge.

Actually, now that I think about it, 60K even for an ICE car isn't a luxury price....a full sized pickup truck can cost that much, and so can a large SUV like a Chevy Suburban or GMC Yukon. Even some equally appointed minivans.

Reactions: 73Bruin and ZeeMike
I thought my Y did have some sort of blind spot warning. I see the red vehicle on the screen and if I signal and try to change lanes and there is a car there I thought there was an audible chime.

As far as 360, I do miss that but it has a pseudo 360 with the proximity warning lines on the display.

I bought my MY blind. Never test drove a Tesla, sat in an M3 and and MX in a mall. When I picked it up, I was so confused on how to start it, how to set the drive and brake modes and even how to put it in Drive/Reverse. I was even against one pedal driving for the first few months but now it’s so natural and every EV should have it. I have come to appreciate the minimalist interior and feel like the steering wheel buttons/scrollers satisfy any need for physical controls.

As for price, I have a Standard range and no ICE cars really compare at the $40k level. And while you can say I’m biased, we just recently got a 2022 Leaf for my kid (who hates my Tesla) and if not for the $7500 Fed cred, it comes close in cost. Tech in the Leaf is subpar in comparison but it has all the buttons/360/blind spot warning lights that my kid is used to on our ICE car.

In retrospect, I think the ID4 would have been a better choice but maybe for the next round. I think the OP should look at the VW or the Mach-E but for me, Tesla is way ahead of everyone else… especially when you consider supercharging.

I think the OP could get used to the cons as the pros highly outweigh them but it’s understandable that people just want what they want.

I just wish the Cybertruck would come out already. :)

This is a very affordable car for a typical middle class family in today's day and age IMHO.
I guess this depends on your definition of middle class. I love my Model Y, but at the same time I realize that many families I know would buy two cars for this price. I would never call them very affordable for the typical middle class family. Maybe in parts of CA this is true.

Reactions: ZeeMike
The misconception of Model 3 and Model Y having "luxury" price needs to die. People look at you driving a Tesla as if you were swimming in money and reality being that the Y is basically a mid-range crossover. A packed Toyota RAV4, most Lexuses, loaded F-150 will drain your wallet more than the Model Y Long Range. You see five of these at every traffic light and nobody points fingers how luxurious those owners are. Not even accounting for all the lifetime savings and EV incentives you get with a Tesla.

A loaded F150 is a lot of money, granted. Most people don't buy loaded, though. Or they get 7 year loans or similar nonsense. A maxed out Rav4 Prime is 49k, it nicer inside than a MY. and I do believe they get a tax rebate these days. I bought a full-size luxury Ram pickup in 2017 and it was about 45k. Much nicer than the Tesla interior. Better ride too, TBH. Modern Cadillac.
Maybe for an ICE car, but that's a different sandbox. I think people call a Tesla a "luxury" car because of its exclusivity, or the exclusivity it used to have in the EV marketplace. As EVs become more common, it will become clear that Tesla's are high end cars, but not luxury like the luxury EVs that are starting to emerge.

Actually, now that I think about it, 60K even for an ICE car isn't a luxury price....a full sized pickup truck can cost that much, and so can a large SUV like a Chevy Suburban or GMC Yukon. Even some equally appointed minivans.
A full size SUV IS a luxury car these days. And yes, they're expensive, but have you sat inside one? Not bad in there at all. You're just moving the goal posts by saying that they're not luxury and Teslas are.
I guess this depends on your definition of middle class. I love my Model Y, but at the same time I realize that many families I know would buy two cars for this price. I would never call them very affordable for the typical middle class family. Maybe in parts of CA this is true.
This.

Reactions: ZeeMike

The average purchase price for a vehicle from Ford over the past 12 months is over $50,000, actual invoice paid price.

Considering that the average cost of a new car as of June 2021 was over $42k, the MY certainly isn't exorbitantly priced.

I don't think anyone would consider Toyota, Ford, Honda, etc. luxury brands. Sure if you price out some of their models with various options and packages the cost can get up there with that of typical luxury brands like Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes. But no one is going to confuse the former with luxury brands just because they have some luxury features and reach those price points. Different models of those brands can be had for price points in the low to mid $20k's. In comparison, the least expensive Tesla model you can buy today is $40k with no options. Similar to luxury brands, Tesla also has commonly sold models that surpass $100k. Let's not forget Tesla didn't introduce lower cost models like the 3 and Y until 2017, so prior to that the most inexpensive Tesla model you could buy was the least configured Model S starting at around $70k. With that it's easy to see why most have perceived Tesla as a "luxury" brand. Perception is reality.

Wait until you keep wondering where to put your electric garage door opener.
To me, these are BASICS that every modern car should be equipped with, EV or ICE.

Reactions: laservet
Our Jaguar I-Pace is superior in every single way except range and charging infrastructure. I also don't like the extra width, but it's not like the MY is narrow.
Except range and infrastructure... LOL, those 2 things are really what matters most to me. If you only use for short trips, then great. We currently only have one car, and like to take longer trips. I have looked for public chargers other that Tesla, and no thanks. Hopefully this will change over time, next car will hopefully be Lexus, but only if the charging infrastructure is there. I figure we have 5 years before the next car purchase, so lots can change by then.

Except range and infrastructure... LOL, those 2 things are really what matters most to me. If you only use for short trips, then great. We currently only have one car, and like to take longer trips. I have looked for public chargers other that Tesla, and no thanks. Hopefully this will change over time, next car will hopefully be Lexus, but only if the charging infrastructure is there. I figure we have 5 years before the next car purchase, so lots can change by then.
99.9% of my trips are short. The other .1% tend to be by plane. Every 2-3 years, I'll take a long car trip. That's when I'll want the Supercharger. Sure, I could just rent a car for those occasions, but that's a PITA. So I bought a Tesla.

Reactions: cusetownusa
A loaded F150 is a lot of money, granted. Most people don't buy loaded, though. Or they get 7 year loans or similar nonsense. A maxed out Rav4 Prime is 49k, it nicer inside than a MY. and I do believe they get a tax rebate these days. I bought a full-size luxury Ram pickup in 2017 and it was about 45k. Much nicer than the Tesla interior. Better ride too, TBH. Modern Cadillac.

A full size SUV IS a luxury car these days. And yes, they're expensive, but have you sat inside one? Not bad in there at all. You're just moving the goal posts by saying that they're not luxury and Teslas are.

This.
Got it, so we can agree on the price of a Tesla being in the range of its counterparts. Interior is subjective - I hate Toyota interiors, including the newest RAV4, I find the Tesla interior to be the best on the market. You can feel opposite and that is perfectly fine.

And in my understanding - stock Long Range Tesla comes pretty loaded. Only trim options available are basically cosmetic, you don't buy extra usable features, except the FSD which is not worth it imho. For an occasional subscription maybe but not the $10k price tag.

Now let's consider the long term saving on filling up that Tesla against an F-150. RAV4 prime can probably compare close and the F-150 Lightning will be quite efficient but all things considered the price of a Tesla and the cost of ownership are quite attractive.

You have proximity sensors and live on-screen display of the distance to obstacles in front and back of the car.
These are cool, but not even close to being able to replace an actual 360 view. If the proximity sensors actually displayed distance all the time, it would be great, but they only report down to 12", then changes to "STOP". This doesn't help if you have tight clearances, so for me, they are pointless as I have < 2" clearance. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but it only gets you maybe 60-70% of the way that an actual 360 view does. The 360 view on all my other cars, you can also see all 4 wheels in the views, and these boards are full of people that have curbed their wheels. A camera view that shows all 4 wheels would go a long way to prevent this kind of mishap. I'm really curious how the 360 Vectorspace view than Elon claims will be available next month will perform...

Considering that the average cost of a new car as of June 2021 was over $42k, the MY certainly isn't exorbitantly priced.
Yeah, I agree. Not sure why its compared with luxury cars. We were originally looking at Lexus RX450h, listed price was around $65k, to be under $50k for that car we were looking at something 2-3yo with 40k miles. We could have went with a Toyota Rav4 or Venza, but to get all the options we wanted we were right back up to nearly $50k. Right now the Rav4 prime at our local Toyota dealer is listed for $57k.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
These are cool, but not even close to being able to replace an actual 360 view. If the proximity sensors actually displayed distance all the time, it would be great, but they only report down to 12", then changes to "STOP". This doesn't help if you have tight clearances, so for me, they are pointless as I have < 2" clearance. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but it only gets you maybe 60-70% of the way that an actual 360 view does. The 360 view on all my other cars, you can also see all 4 wheels in the views, and these boards are full of people that have curbed their wheels. A camera view that shows all 4 wheels would go a long way to prevent this kind of mishap. I'm really curious how the 360 Vectorspace view than Elon claims will be available next month will perform...
I agree, the feature can use some improvement. I didn't know Elon is hinting at some form of 360 view for Teslas. This is the cool part about these cars - the tech is already onboard and most things we request come down to a software update. I can't wait to see how much better my Model Y gets over the next year or so.

Man, it's amazing we were able to park at all before these types of things.... :cool:

Reactions: gtae07