Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I agree. Not sure why its compared with luxury cars. We were originally looking at Lexus RX450h, listed price was around $65k, to be under $50k for that car we were looking at something 2-3yo with 40k miles. We could have went with a Toyota Rav4 or Venza, but to get all the options we wanted we were right back up to nearly $50k. Right now the Rav4 prime at our local Toyota dealer is listed for $57k.
Literally yesterday a neighbor hanged out with me to check out the Y. He is considering buying that exact Lexus RX450h but once I broke down to him how much I paid for my Tesla, what incentives I got, how much it costs me to insure and drive it, he literally asked me who I worked with at the showroom and if he can go today and test drive it. That was his first time even sitting in a Tesla. For someone in the market for an SUV / crossover in that price range, not checking out the Tesla is a mistake.

As they say: BUTTS IN THE SEATS! :D

Reactions: abasile and brian.c
Man, it's amazing we were able to park at all before these types of things.... :cool:
It's about conveniences... My first car didn't have power steering or power brakes, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy to drive a car without those two things... I used to hang a tennis ball in the garage to park my car in there in my younger days...

With my other car, my wife was hosting a baby shower... Even tho people parked in our driveway seemingly blocking the garage, in my other car, I was able to use the 360 view, and side views to weave around 2 of the cars, and shimmy into the garage. No way in hell I could pull that off with the Y.

Likewise, even simple things like at the grocery store... When idiots leave shopping carts in the stall, or parking in those wierd spots with planters and/or oddly shaped curbs, I can use 360 view and side views on my other cars, and I can see exactly where everything is in relation to my car, and can still pull all the way into the spot, and then wheel away the cart, for example... I can't do that in the Y, because the views aren't complete, particularly around the front of the car.

You're right, but I find it a poor substitute for a light in the side view mirror, like most other cars.
Backing out of a parking spot at Costco also makes me really miss cross-traffic warning on my other cars. I remember backing out my other car one time, and my car slammed on the brakes, becuase someone was flying down the aisle. No way I could see the car, because my view was 100% obstructed by the cars parked on either side of me. So I was just cautiously backing up until I can see cross traffic, but before I could my car slammed on the brakes. It even ties in the cross traffic and blind spot warning with the sound system, and plays the warning beeps from the corner of the car that the warning is for.

Reactions: BigNerd
A full size SUV IS a luxury car these days. And yes, they're expensive, but have you sat inside one? Not bad in there at all. You're just moving the goal posts by saying that they're not luxury and Teslas are.
No, my point is that Teslas aren't - well, the Tesla 3 and Y aren't, but I don't know about the S or X.

My other point is that $60K is not the price of a luxury car.......it's the price of a minivan or large SUV outfitted with the same tech as a Tesla - comfortable and upper level (i.e. above average), but not luxury. Maybe you and I just have different definitions of "luxury car" if you think anything by Ford or Chevy can be luxury when compared to actual luxury cars like Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, or Benz. And that doesn't even get into the uber-luxury exotics, like Ferrari, Masserati, Bentley, or Mclaren.

Got it, so we can agree on the price of a Tesla being in the range of its counterparts. Interior is subjective - I hate Toyota interiors, including the newest RAV4, I find the Tesla interior to be the best on the market. You can feel opposite and that is perfectly fine.

And in my understanding - stock Long Range Tesla comes pretty loaded. Only trim options available are basically cosmetic, you don't buy extra usable features, except the FSD which is not worth it imho. For an occasional subscription maybe but not the $10k price tag.

Now let's consider the long term saving on filling up that Tesla against an F-150. RAV4 prime can probably compare close and the F-150 Lightning will be quite efficient but all things considered the price of a Tesla and the cost of ownership are quite attractive.
Rav4 Prime loaded gets a $5000 federal rebate. So a loaded Rav4 Prime is 44k. An MY LR is 54k. 11k is a significant price difference for most people. Interiors are subjective to a point, but the MY interior is cheap, like Ikea. It's got style, sure, but it's not nice. The S and X interiors are nicer, sure, but not much nicer, and they're not even close to what a modern Mercedes or BMW interior feels like. I got into the new Escalade, and I said, "Nice!" I have never said that in a Tesla.

I'm 100% sold on EVs. Yes, one can look at total cost of ownership to see where prices should fall, but most people look at the sticker price and nothing more.

If the MY came with extending thigh rests, ventilated seats, leather, rear cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring, better if not active suspension, and proper door handles, then it might be a luxury ride.

That may work if you park your car in your garage at home. If you park outside you are risking
someone coming along, smashing your window, opening your garage door because you conveniently
left the opener in clear view, and emptying out your garage, or worse.
If you can't afford $325 for a remote control unit, then you shouldn't buy the car, regardless of price. By the way, my daughter wanted to get homelink on her new Hyundai Hybrid Sonata. Its $240 if you order and get the car custom built (fat chance these days) or $895 if you want the dealer to install it on a car built without it. Frankly Tesla's making it an easy to install option is pretty genius.

Last edited:
I just put my old visor-clip remote in the center console tray. Works great. Would never pay 325 for this add on.

I’d get it simply for the convenience and not having to search for it coming home at night.
Automatically opens upon arrival and closes on departure…golden. And can work on multiple garages if you have multiple properties rather than carrying around a few sets of openers.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Tesla is changing the way we use cars just like Apple changed computer world with an iPad. You cannot compare Teslas to other cars without understanding the philosophy behind it. ICE cars have large tanks so that people didn't have to stop at the gas stations too often. MYLR is meant to be a daily commuter for people that drive 200 miles or less per day. At this point it's a great 2nd car in the family. First car would have ICE for the reasons you listed.

Rav4 Prime loaded gets a $5000 federal rebate. So a loaded Rav4 Prime is 44k. An MY LR is 54k. 11k is a significant price difference for most people. Interiors are subjective to a point, but the MY interior is cheap, like Ikea. It's got style, sure, but it's not nice. The S and X interiors are nicer, sure, but not much nicer, and they're not even close to what a modern Mercedes or BMW interior feels like. I got into the new Escalade, and I said, "Nice!" I have never said that in a Tesla.

I'm 100% sold on EVs. Yes, one can look at total cost of ownership to see where prices should fall, but most people look at the sticker price and nothing more.

If the MY came with extending thigh rests, ventilated seats, leather, rear cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring, better if not active suspension, and proper door handles, then it might be a luxury ride.
Rav 4 prime at my local dealer is asking $57k... I considered them, and was waiting for the Lexus NX450H. Overall cost of ownership is what sealed the deal for us.

Reactions: El joe
That is one thing I miss, the cross traffic detection. I think that can be added via software update.
100% agree. In our former Lexus this was a lifesaver many times over…or at least car damage prevention. I miss this feature the most when back out of anywhere really.
How can it be that difficult for T to achieve this?

From what I understand, rear cross traffic detection is done via radar or ultrasonics... not sure where Model Y sensors are but could still be possible.
Cross traffic uses radars on other cars... Y doesn't have radar. Personally, I think Teslas need cameras that point sideways... I don't know how the hell actual full self driving is supposed to work when you are at intersections and need to make an unprotected turn, without it being able to see cross traffic. Especially at intersections with very hard angles.

Cross traffic uses radars on other cars... Y doesn't have radar. Personally, I think Teslas need cameras that point sideways... I don't know how the hell actual full self driving is supposed to work when you are at intersections and need to make an unprotected turn, without it being able to see cross traffic. Especially at intersections with very hard angles.

The new Ys don't have radar.

On my Y (pre radar nerf), the visualization shows you the rear quarters so it seems possible.

FSD is a whole other animal that I don't think I will ever use. I like to drive my car. :)