Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering the Model 3 and have a few queries.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the charging connectors are weather sealed, up to a point. They are OK with rain, snow etc, but the connector should not be subjected to high pressure water, say from a pressure washer, when the charge port door is open and a connector plugged in.

You most probably won't get a decent price from Tesla for a trade-in, as they aren't really interested in them, and will only offload it immediately to an auction house. The price they gave me was a couple of thousand less than I got by selling to a dealer, and that was maybe a thousand less than I'd have got from selling privately (I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with loads of tyre kickers).

The price I got offered by We Buy Any Car was a lot more than the price from Tesla, also.

Well Tesla have offered me a whopping £8500 under my settlement figure, that's that idea out of the window ;)

You most probably won't get a decent price from Tesla for a trade-in, as they aren't really interested in them, and will only offload it immediately to an auction house. The price they gave me was a couple of thousand less than I got by selling to a dealer, and that was maybe a thousand less than I'd have got from selling privately (I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with loads of tyre kickers).

The price I got offered by We Buy Any Car was a lot more than the price from Tesla, also.

I concur with Jeremy . I got significantly better price from webuyanycar than Tesla offered.

Reactions: snerkler
When we ordered, we had a very long wait (best part of 5 months) between getting trade-in value and collection. Not only did Tesla honour their original (admittedly meagre) offer, but when our car came up with 'service needed' message a week or so before collection, they didn't require us to have it done. So what ended up looking a bad deal vs WBAC (even before they would have kicked the tyres and added charges for this, that and the other), ended up a better paying offer. Note, this was for a 12 year old car and I appreciate that newer cars may be different, but more going on than just price comparisons. It also avoided us arranging transport to the pickup.

Thanks. I heard the regen braking can be ‘significant’ but you can turn this off so it coasts like a ‘normal’ car?

You can, but once you get used to full regen braking (give yourself a day of varied condition driving) you will never want to go back. Not only are you saving on brake wear, but its soooo much easier just to use one pedal all the time. And it will become second-nature in no time. Like going from a stick shift (manual) to automatic.

Hi,

Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find them and certainly not all in the same place. So I'm considering a Model 3 due to the 0% BIK that's coming into play in April this year and have some questions.

1. When building the car online there's very few options to say the least and I would like the Long Range version but with different wheels and also with the black interior but not the wood trim, is it possible to spec the car with different wheels (such as the silver ones I've seen plenty of in photos or even the ones that come on the performance model) and a different trim to the wood (without paying extra for the black/white interior)?

2. What range are people getting in the real world, and what type of driving is this?

3. What is involved (holes in walls etc) in order to get a charger fitted at home/work, can they be fitted outside rather than in a garage etc and are the charge points lockable?

4. How irritating are the windscreen wipers and not being able to control them properly without using the main console? I imagine it's quite distracting changing settings on the wipers having to delve into the computer menus whilst driving?

Any help appreciated.
The range quoted on a full charge is 306 miles. You can get that if you drive sensibly in town without too much heater or aircon. On the motorway at 70 I would say 250 miles if not too much braking for traffic jams. Going faster eats up the battery mush quicker. Regenerative braking is pretty good if you anticipate, but does not work on full charge. On a recent trip of 150 miles mostly on motorway I averaged close to 240 Wh/m but there was lots of 50mph limits in place so I averaged less than 60 mph overall

I found that consumption seemed to get better after 3000 miles although I have no idea why.

My charger is fitted outside next to garage door with a hole through the wall and wire into consumer unit. It is a wallbox and quite neat.

As others have said the windscreen wipers are variable. I generally find auto unreliable but a quick squeeze of the left stalk does one wipe and brings up the wiper menu so you don’t have to dig for it

When we ordered, we had a very long wait (best part of 5 months) between getting trade-in value and collection. Not only did Tesla honour their original (admittedly meagre) offer, but when our car came up with 'service needed' message a week or so before collection, they didn't require us to have it done. So what ended up looking a bad deal vs WBAC (even before they would have kicked the tyres and added charges for this, that and the other), ended up a better paying offer. Note, this was for a 12 year old car and I appreciate that newer cars may be different, but more going on than just price comparisons. It also avoided us arranging transport to the pickup.
Concur. I got a similar price from Tesla as WBAC offered for my 12 yo diesel Ford. Much less hassle though.

Your range is very much dependant on how you drive, plus the weather. The faster you drive, and the lower the temperature, the worse it gets.

Charging en route and charging at your destination just become second nature.

Tesla superchargers are usually incredibly fast. Every time we’ve used one en route, the car has been ready before we have.

I’ve had the Model 3 just over four months, and covered almost 8k miles. Over the last few years we’ve had three EVs, and covered about 43k miles in them. Driving has never been so much of a pleasure!