Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering the Model 3 and have a few queries.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find them and certainly not all in the same place. So I'm considering a Model 3 due to the 0% BIK that's coming into play in April this year and have some questions.

1. When building the car online there's very few options to say the least and I would like the Long Range version but with different wheels and also with the black interior but not the wood trim, is it possible to spec the car with different wheels (such as the silver ones I've seen plenty of in photos or even the ones that come on the performance model) and a different trim to the wood (without paying extra for the black/white interior)?

2. What range are people getting in the real world, and what type of driving is this?

3. What is involved (holes in walls etc) in order to get a charger fitted at home/work, can they be fitted outside rather than in a garage etc and are the charge points lockable?

4. How irritating are the windscreen wipers and not being able to control them properly without using the main console? I imagine it's quite distracting changing settings on the wipers having to delve into the computer menus whilst driving?

Any help appreciated.

Reactions: MikeBur
I can do 3 and 4, my experiences anyway.

3) My charge point was installed outside by the meter box with only drilling to mount the box required. Mine is PodPoint.
*edit*
Oh and yes, PodPoints have a lock option, it’s £30 I think. I have it, never use it.

4) Sometime the auto wipers are so good you just forget about it. Other times I find myself cursing them and wishing for physical controls. Hopefully they’ll get better. Right now they are too sensitive, which is actually worse than not sensitive enough, when they are too sensitive you have to mess with the screen to do anything about it. When they’re not sensitive enough you only need to push the stalk button for a wipe.

Last edited:
1. You can only configure what you see on the website
2. 70-80mph on the motorway in the current weather/temperature will mean you struggle to get 200 miles out of an LR
3. A hole in the wall to your distribution board and possible an earth rod for a charge point. They can be installed outside and some have the ability to be locked.
4. With the recent update of auto wipers they have improved a lot to a point where I rarely have to intervene. You can press a button on the left stalk to do a single wipe if required

1. Nope, Tesla have avoided the "1000 variations" built-to-suit model in favor of a streamlined production process to manage costs etc. However, there is a thriving after-market for stuff like wraps for console etc that somewhat mitigates this (at extra cost, of course).

2. Pretty close to the quoted range in my case when (a) normal driving (no crazy acceleration or super fast), (b) moderate temperatures (50F to 70F). Expect maybe 15% +/- range loss in cold weather. But these are based on US EPA estimates, I'm not sure how that aligns with Europe. The car, however, is very good at estimating remaining range when navigating.

3, The chargers are weather-proof, but of course the wiring to them must also be .. get a qualified guy to install this, its high current so needs professional install. Wires of course depend on location. In the US the chargers come with flush and elevated install plates so you can hide the wires or use on-the-wall conduit. Not sure about UK models.

4. Its not that hard, and for most conditions the auto wipers aren't nearly as awful as you might think reading this forum (remember no-one is going to post saying "Wipers are working fine"). Since the 40.50 software update, you can control wipers using voice commands, so you dont even have to take your fingers off the wheel. Also, the wipers take a press of the manual wipe button on the stalk as a hint that they should be more proactive, so again you rarely have to delve into the screen (that's my experience, and I live in Seattle which makes me an expert on rain!).

HTH

• Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
1. Nope, Tesla have avoided the "1000 variations" built-to-suit model in favor of a streamlined production process to manage costs etc. However, there is a thriving after-market for stuff like wraps for console etc that somewhat mitigates this (at extra cost, of course).

2. Pretty close to the quoted range in my case when (a) normal driving (no crazy acceleration or super fast), (b) moderate temperatures (50F to 70F). Expect maybe 15% +/- range loss in cold weather. But these are based on US EPA estimates, I'm not sure how that aligns with Europe. The car, however, is very good at estimating remaining range when navigating.

3, The chargers are weather-proof, but of course the wiring to them must also be .. get a qualified guy to install this, its high current so needs professional install. Wires of course depend on location. In the U the chargers come with flush and elevated install plates so you can hide the wires or use on-the-wall conduit. Not sure about UK models.

4. Its not that hard, and for most conditions the auto wipers aren't nearly as awful as you might think reading this forum (remember no-one is going to post saying "Wipers are working fine"). Since the 40.50 software update, you can control wipers using voice commands, so you dont even have to take your fingers off the wheel. Also, the wipers take a press of the manual wipe button on the stalk as a hint that they should be more proactive, so again you rarely have to delve into the screen (that's my experience, and I live in Seattle which makes me an expert on rain!).

HTH
We’re getting a lot of bullshit mist and drizzle rain in the U.K. at the moment, which is where they plain suck. They’re fine in proper rain.

Reactions: ACarneiro
upload_2020-1-4_8-49-54.png

As you can see, range is affected by speed and wheels. Personally I wouldn’t get too focused on RANGE. I do a weekly commute of 270miles each way, with no destination charge and manage fine. (With battery to last me the whole week until my my commute home).

just takes a little more planning. Use ABRP, PlugShare and Replug to plan routes. It’s usually cheaper to charge at home anyways. So little and often charges are the way forward. You’ll spend less time on the road this way too, as the charge rate drops significantly after around 42% SoC when superchargering or rapid.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry if these questions have been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find them and certainly not all in the same place. So I'm considering a Model 3 due to the 0% BIK that's coming into play in April this year and have some questions.

1. When building the car online there's very few options to say the least and I would like the Long Range version but with different wheels and also with the black interior but not the wood trim, is it possible to spec the car with different wheels (such as the silver ones I've seen plenty of in photos or even the ones that come on the performance model) and a different trim to the wood (without paying extra for the black/white interior)?

2. What range are people getting in the real world, and what type of driving is this?

3. What is involved (holes in walls etc) in order to get a charger fitted at home/work, can they be fitted outside rather than in a garage etc and are the charge points lockable?

4. How irritating are the windscreen wipers and not being able to control them properly without using the main console? I imagine it's quite distracting changing settings on the wipers having to delve into the computer menus whilst driving?

Any help appreciated.

1. Tesla doesn’t offer choice of wheels for the LR trim for build to order in the UK. You can order a set of 19 inch Tesla OEM sports wheels from your local service centre after taking delivery of your car. I was last quoted just under £2,500 for the wheels, tyres, pressure sensors and fitting.

As for the wood trim with the black interior, Tesla offer no alternative. You can get it covered with vinyl or fully replaced with after market solutions.

2. I can’t give you exact figures as I own an SR+. But ballpark is 65% of quoted range in winter. 80-110% range in warmer weather.

3. Home chargers can be installed outside your house, mine is outside in my driveway. Note the charger needs to be hardwired directly into your power supply and cannot be attached as an extension to existing electric wiring loops in your home. My meter is outside my front door so
I didn’t need any extra holes into my house, and was able to add an isolation switch near the meter too. Apologies but I’m no electrician so seek advice from one, other members might be able to advise further.

4. Not too irritating to be honest. I have mine set to auto and whenever I need a quick wipe or three, I just press the button on the tip of the left stork. I seldom need to touch the wiper settings on the touchscreen while driving.

If you’re truly interested in this car, don’t hesitate. It’s amazing. You'll love it.

Reactions: drtimhill
Add in my own experience...

2. I would say you are looking at 210 mile max range at 70 mph when the temperature is as it is now ( 5 degrees or so)

4. The auto wipers are perfect for me. Never had an issue with them.

1. You'll get what you're given. It might even be what you ordered. Blue Peter viewers can always use sticky-back plastic.

2. On a nice day in summer if you drive sensibly. Anything down to half range on short winter trips with a heavy foot. Preconditioning will solve some of that. I'm on a 160 mile round trip today with no destination charger in my S. Charged to 100% (300miles) I'll precondition, drive wit no consideration for range and expect from past experience to come home with 60 miles left displayed 'cos at halt time car will get cold and take 30 mile at double consumption to warm up car and main pack. I'm not going to be sitting shivering in it.

3. Rather depends on shape of house, position of consumer unit etc. Mine is located outside the barn with a through hole into barn for it's supply. There are a few? lockable options but donlt let that worry you. Someone coming along to nick a freebie charge is goig to have to hang around for a long time to get enough to hurt your pocket. Options include a lockable cabinet with a switch in it if you want. If going away for holidays etc you can always trip the circuit breaker indoors.

4. can't speak for the 3. The S has a stalk one can trigger for a wipe. The auto system is better but still pants. You can use a voice command but it won't work. A lot of voice commands won't work, Cameras wil fog up, lights will get condensation, automation will be unreliable and Tesla won't answer their phone. But it'll all be fixed in an update (well that's what they'll tell you in a text anyway).

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
I can do 3 and 4, my experiences anyway.

3) My charge point was installed outside by the meter box with only drilling to mount the box required. Mine is PodPoint.
*edit*
Oh and yes, PodPoints have a lock option, it’s £30 I think. I have it, never use it.

4) Sometime the auto wipers are so good you just forget about it. Other times I find myself cursing them and wishing for physical controls. Hopefully they’ll get better. Right now they are too sensitive, which is actually worse than not sensitive enough, when they are too sensitive you have to mess with the screen to do anything about it. When they’re not sensitive enough you only need to push the stalk button for a wipe.

1. You can only configure what you see on the website
2. 70-80mph on the motorway in the current weather/temperature will mean you struggle to get 200 miles out of an LR
3. A hole in the wall to your distribution board and possible an earth rod for a charge point. They can be installed outside and some have the ability to be locked.
4. With the recent update of auto wipers they have improved a lot to a point where I rarely have to intervene. You can press a button on the left stalk to do a single wipe if required

3, The chargers are weather-proof, but of course the wiring to them must also be .. get a qualified guy to install this, its high current so needs professional install. Wires of course depend on location. In the US the chargers come with flush and elevated install plates so you can hide the wires or use on-the-wall conduit. Not sure about UK models.

HTH

We’re getting a lot of bullshit mist and drizzle rain in the U.K. at the moment, which is where they plain suck. They’re fine in proper rain.

1. Tesla doesn’t offer choice of wheels for the LR trim for build to order in the UK. You can order a set of 19 inch Tesla OEM sports wheels from your local service centre after taking delivery of your car. I was last quoted just under £2,500 for the wheels, tyres, pressure sensors and fitting.

As for the wood trim with the black interior, Tesla offer no alternative. You can get it covered with vinyl or fully replaced with after market solutions.

2. I can’t give you exact figures as I own an SR+. But ballpark is 65% of quoted range in winter. 80-110% range in warmer weather.

3. Home chargers can be installed outside your house, mine is outside in my driveway. Note the charger needs to be hardwired directly into your power supply and cannot be attached as an extension to existing electric wiring loops in your home. My meter is outside my front door so
I didn’t need any extra holes into my house, and was able to add an isolation switch near the meter too. Apologies but I’m no electrician so seek advice from one, other members might be able to advise further.

4. Not too irritating to be honest. I have mine set to auto and whenever I need a quick wipe or three, I just press the button on the tip of the left stork. I seldom need to touch the wiper settings on the touchscreen while driving.

If you’re truly interested in this car, don’t hesitate. It’s amazing. You'll love it.

Thanks for all of the quick responses, much appreciated. It's a shame you can't change the trim but at least I can change the wheels, could anyone hazard a guess how much the sport wheels affect range? I'm guessing it would be similar to the performance model?

Are the interior trims 'user' replaceable or are they quite difficult to replace yourself?

Great news about not having to drill extra holes if you have the electric meter outside of you house.

I've just downloaded the manual and see that you can have the wipers in 'manual' mode and there's 4 settings; intermediate slow, intermediate fast, constant slow and constant fast, do fold find this better than Auto?

1. You'll get what you're given. It might even be what you ordered. Blue Peter viewers can always use sticky-back plastic.

2. On a nice day in summer if you drive sensibly. Anything down to half range on short winter trips with a heavy foot. Preconditioning will solve some of that. I'm on a 160 mile round trip today with no destination charger in my S. Charged to 100% (300miles) I'll precondition, drive wit no consideration for range and expect from past experience to come home with 60 miles left displayed 'cos at halt time car will get cold and take 30 mile at double consumption to warm up car and main pack. I'm not going to be sitting shivering in it.

3. Rather depends on shape of house, position of consumer unit etc. Mine is located outside the barn with a through hole into barn for it's supply. There are a few? lockable options but donlt let that worry you. Someone coming along to nick a freebie charge is goig to have to hang around for a long time to get enough to hurt your pocket. Options include a lockable cabinet with a switch in it if you want. If going away for holidays etc you can always trip the circuit breaker indoors.

4. can't speak for the 3. The S has a stalk one can trigger for a wipe. The auto system is better but still pants. You can use a voice command but it won't work. A lot of voice commands won't work, Cameras wil fog up, lights will get condensation, automation will be unreliable and Tesla won't answer their phone. But it'll all be fixed in an update (well that's what they'll tell you in a text anyway).
So Tesla build's not great then?

1. Already answered above
2. Haven’t quite worked out but did do a 200 mile journey at varying speeds with room to spare (LR version) - late October with heavy rain for significant stretches
3. Depends on location of your e meter and where you want the charger. In my case opposite sides of the house so involved routing cable under floors and along garage ceiling before it went through wall to outside charger (Tesla)! No lock but switch off electricity supply to it if going on holiday. Where I am I think the risk of someone doing a sneaky charge is low!
4. Much improved recently - possibly through combination of software updates and application of Rain X to my windscreen. Has been working a treat :)

Thanks for all of the quick responses, much appreciated. It's a shame you can't change the trim but at least I can change the wheels, could anyone hazard a guess how much the sport wheels affect range? I'm guessing it would be similar to the performance model?

Are the interior trims 'user' replaceable or are they quite difficult to replace yourself?

Great news about not having to drill extra holes if you have the electric meter outside of you house.

I've just downloaded the manual and see that you can have the wipers in 'manual' mode and there's 4 settings; intermediate slow, intermediate fast, constant slow and constant fast, do fold find this better than Auto?
Auto is better now on the latest firmware (2019.40.1.1+) due to “smart rain” update.

upload_2020-1-4_9-4-20.jpeg

I don’t use the manual modes unless I have to, auto is good when it works, but when it goes mad at full speed when there isn’t anything to wipe it gets pretty irritating so I have to pick a manual mode. The ideal world would be that the manual modes don’t need to exist.

WRT interior trim customisation, don't bother with cheapo vinyl products from amazon/eBay. They suck and are virtually impossible to put on without leaving you car looking like it was styled by a 5 year old.

I’ve only covered the piano black centre console with Matrix textured vinyl from a company called Abstract Ocean. Admittedly they are 5x more expensive, but was relatively painless to stick on while they look pretty much factory fitted. Have to stress though, it took me about 45 mins to install with a lot of care and patience.

I’ve not done the dash trim yet, but have read it requires even more time and patience.

Hi,

As a new order pretty well set in concrete, options vary when offered. There are plenty of 3rd party options though.

For a 90% charge pretty well 200 Miles, but of course that is taking it to 0, so I guess 160 miles on a 90% to like 20% with a decent pace, on a variations of roads, few over takes, following traffic and faster than speed limit on motorway, it is easier to get it up, with no use of AC, lower fan speed, and driving more sensible.

How long is a piece of String, Every Install id different, it is all about where your main board is, cane outside, then I would use a non tethered charger, It locks both ends. Just make sure you put in a 6mm cable to cover volt drops etc, and future proof.

The Wipers are better now on auto than they used to be, and are suppose to improve over time, but it is easy to just press stalk to wipe once, you do not have to mess with the screen now days tbh.

I actually find the car backward in tech compared to high end cars like Audi, Volvos Merc tbh, I do not use Auto pilot, and it is the little things like head lights, no wash, no power tailgate lift, that I miss, but as for money saving, Ride Performance and smoothness, Regne, single foot driving there is nothing that can touch it. So worth every penny.

Any help appreciated.