Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Used Model S vs New Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. New here. Cool forum. :cool:

did consider getting a *new* Model S, but, eh. The 100 models seem a bit spendy for what you get, and the 75 models are juuuust barely range-shy enough to activate my range anxiety.

A new MS75 is a currently a smokin deal plus you can still get the $7500 Fed tax credit.

With that out of the way let me pipe in on range(the most asked and least important issue w/ Teslas IMO). My current 75 was a software limited 60(206 range?) and I did multiple long distance(2000+mi) in that configuration with no issues and no range anxiety whatsoever...and this was in the old days(last year lol) with far fewer superchargers. My advice to Tesla owners on the fence and with budget constraints is get a car with at least 200 mi(which is every Tesla) range and you'll be fine.

Thanks. Extremely good idea you have for me to rent one before buying... I just didn't think there were any places that rented Model S's. :oops:
I rented an X for a week via www.turo.com.

Let me warn you though... don't do it unless you are ready to buy. Since driving the X, it's been VERY hard to go back to my Leaf, it's taking all the self-control I have not to go buy a Tesla now.... every single ounce.

-Jim

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
What color is it? Want to sell it to me?
It's solid black. Honestly, you would be better off paying $5000 more to get one built for a couple reasons: 1. guarantee 4.2s vs going by what my DS told me. 2. SAS. There could be questionable repair costs down the road out of warranty but in the mean time, you are going to enjoy the comfortable ride. I have the coil and it rides like a sports car - feel every bump. I could decrease the tire pressure from 47 to more like 45. I asked the guy at the SC, he told me given the temperature cooling off, I should probably just live with it. 3. Black isn't for everyone. If after all that, you still want to talk PM me.

I rented an X for a week via www.turo.com.

Let me warn you though... don't do it unless you are ready to buy. Since driving the X, it's been VERY hard to go back to my Leaf, it's taking all the self-control I have not to go buy a Tesla now.... every single ounce.

I hear ya James, and relate. My current ride is an AWD Subaru ICE, and while it is pretty good, it's just not in the same league as an MS. :oops:

And thanx for pointing out Turo to me. That's like AirBnB for cars, lol. Very clever. :cool:

With that out of the way let me pipe in on range (the most asked and least important issue w/ Teslas IMO). My current 75 was a software limited 60 (206 m range?) and I did multiple long distance( 2000+mi) in that configuration with no issues and no range anxiety whatsoever...and this was in the old days( last year lol) with far fewer superchargers.

My advice to Tesla owners on the fence and with budget constraints is get a car with at least 200 mi (which is every Tesla) range and you'll be fine.

Gonna (respectfully) disagree a bit on that, HL.

While I do get that you can get pretty much anywhere you need to with the current supercharger network and a 200-ish mile range, there's getting there, and then there's getting there quickly and conveniently.

Case in point: I sometimes have to do 400-mile trips both north and south from the SF Bay Area, to Southern Oregon (where I own property), and to the LA area (where I'm heading to next week, in fact).

If all I had was a 200-mile range, then I'd have to do two supercharger stops instead of one. Especially considering that a '200 mile range' isn't really a 200-mile range, taking into consideration stuff like cold or very hot weather, AC or heater usage, aging batteries/reduced capacity, hills and mountains, driving rain, headwinds, etc. etc.

Sure, you can drive slower to maximize range, but only to a point. On I-5, if I saw a guy going 50mph, even *I* would want to smack him upside the head, and/or hope the CHP pulled him over... 'cuz it's actually unsafe, given the speeds that everyone ELSE is going, rightly or wrongly. :oops:

So, pour moi, I probably want at least 250 miles of range, and 275 would be better. Gotta leave some margin for error. I do not need the stress.

Add to this that the supercharger network is *still* not all that extensive... going north from where I am, you pretty much *have* to stop at the Corning supercharger to make Southern Oregon on one recharge. What if Corning is all full up, and with a long line to boot? What if it's down/non-functional in some way? The next supercharger is Mount Shasta, i.e. 305 miles from where I am. So, I'm scraping together kW from other, slower sources just to get there, probably 8 to 16kW at a time. And I'd be scraping together a lot MORE kW if I had only a '200 mile' range as opposed to 250-275. :(

Interestingly, surveys seem to show that range anxiety starts to dissipate for the majority of ppl at around 250-300 miles. Food for thought.

I do get that most of the time, it doesn't matter. For most ppl in most situations, such as their daily commute, 200 miles is great, technically.

Yup, it doesn't matter... until it does. And then it does... sometimes a lot. Cheers. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aieukl378
Futureshock - it's a good question and one that I was basically faced with in June. We reserved a model 3 on 4/19/16, so not very far up in the list, but also not as long of a wait. Since then, we've had another kid, my lab move further away from the house, and I started to wonder if doing a CPO now was better than the wait for a 3. We drove one at the local Tesla location and that was enough to convince us. Also coming from a Subaru and this will be the largest car we've ever had, by far.

I'm in the minority here, but range and car size was much more important than autonomous driving features, so we reserved a pre-AP S85, 265 rated range, free supercharging, and a 2 year warranty. The passive safety features, such as frame strength, crumple zones, and airbags are all enough to satisfy my requirements. That was enough to make me confident in the purchase. The CPO inspection and refurbishment process has been documented extensively on this site, but from what my CPO advisor has informed me, our particular car acquired several new parts and some body work. All will be revealed at delivery.

Worst case scenario is that we take the 3 and when our spot comes up in the reservation queue, then we can trade in the S. I don't suspect that will be the case. I'm going to pick it up on Wednesday in NJ, so I'll know a lot about how I feel after a 530 mile shakedown voyage.

It's solid black. Honestly, you would be better off paying $5000 more to get one built for a couple reasons: 1. guarantee 4.2s vs going by what my DS told me. 2. SAS. There could be questionable repair costs down the road out of warranty but in the mean time, you are going to enjoy the comfortable ride. I have the coil and it rides like a sports car - feel every bump. I could decrease the tire pressure from 47 to more like 45. I asked the guy at the SC, he told me given the temperature cooling off, I should probably just live with it. 3. Black isn't for everyone. If after all that, you still want to talk PM me.
I have a current order in black with air and all upgrades except jump seats. I really need air for my driveway. My current S is air and I tried the coils and I noticed a slight difference in ride quality too. Thanks for the reply. Hope to meet you at a Tesla meetup some time!

Reactions: EnjoyingLife
It'll cost between $40K-$48K based upon recent actual sale data.

So for now and for the next 3 years, a CPO AP1 RWD S85 is your friend.

I'm looking on the EV-CPO site and Tesla Inventory site and I think the sub $50k range for AP1 cars is optimistic, except for the times they add huge batches and blow them out all at once. To get something in the $40k you have to have a sales person searching inventory for you before they hit the website.

Do you think you'll get the 3 AWD or the LR?
If I can receive Model 3 in 2017 I'm definitely getting it right away with long range battery. If I can't receive by December 31st I'm holding out for AWD and ludicrous!

I'm not exactly sure how they are prioritizing deliveries but I heard geography was the next consideration after Tesla ownership and reservation date. So I might take delivery at a second home in Arizona if needed to squeak into 2017. Tesla currently puts me in the October-December timeframe taking delivery in Minnesota but you know how that goes. : /

For me it was Q1 before I was in the tesla family. Now that I am, I was told by my local tesla I might get priority...might.you know I learned a lot about how they say things at tesla. They don't say anything in specific terms. They say things in a much more vague way almost as if they are being very careful not get sue or something.