Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone looked inside the cert files, if those are plaintext or crypted ?

On p1 and p2 there are several certs that could establish the VPN, like these:
.\act\ic-slash-opt\odin\core\engine\assets\TeslaMotorsGF3ProductIssuingCA.pem
.\act\ic-slash-opt\odin\core\engine\assets\tesla-services-command-ca.pem
.\act\tesla\UI\assets\akamai_tesla_ca.pem
.\act\tesla\UI\assets\aws_tesla_ca.pem

If these establish VPN then maybe for carkeys there is access for roadside assistance to synchronize those by asking "Reset MCU commands key"

Last edited:
Nope and I don't intend to at this point.

I dont see any reason to have individual VPN cert per car to dial in to tesla VPN which looks like is hosted by AWS based on the naming convention. The AKAMAI is API interface the same applies. For the first time when car is connected to VPN to updateitself then its well likely that the VPN keys provided as part of the installation package on p1 and p2 may well be included.

Anyhow the car key is generated but as it looks like being valid only for 24 hours before rotated needs remote syncing in case it gets out of sync. This sync option is quite likely by what we can read here about "Reset MCU commands key" being reseted by roadside service.

Therefore I am asking if someone has actually looked into the files themselves and tried to use the CA certs on p1/p2 for VPN in these files:
.\act\ic-slash-opt\odin\core\engine\assets\TeslaMotorsGF3ProductIssuingCA.pem
.\act\ic-slash-opt\odin\core\engine\assets\tesla-services-command-ca.pem
.\act\tesla\UI\assets\akamai_tesla_ca.pem
.\act\tesla\UI\assets\aws_tesla_ca.pem

Seems like I am next in doing the emmc chip replacement. I am starting to see a few signs that it is going out. MS2015 with 300000km!
I will replace the chip myself, being in the electronic field will help.:)

Question I have: @rooter published a way to read the emmc chip without desoldering (by soldering a fews wires at specific points and connection to a reader). I intend to do my backup this way. Anyone can confirm that I can also reprogram the new chip this way?

that would save me from having to buy the allsocket programmer for just this one time use. I would hack a regular sd card reader for this purpose.

You are going to have to solder the new chip in so I'm not sure how programming with the wire method has any advantage. You are having to solder no matter what. Once you have the new chip of course having physical access to the chip and being able to programm it is awesome.

For sure before desoldering the actual emmc, I will do a full backup by soldering wires to specifics points to communicate with the emmc. The other end of the wires will be connected to a modified cheap regular sd card reader. This way, I will be able to read the entire chip (hopefully). Then when I know for sure I got a good backup, then I would proceed with the chip replacement.

Because I do no own the allsocket programmer, if I could just solder the new blank chip on the tegra board, then I would use the same modified sd card reader to reprogram the new virgin chip. I do not see any reason for not working but I am double checking with the experienced people in case I am missing something.

My model S is a 2013 with 210.000km. Reboots are very slow, sometimes spotify hangs, when I get in the car it displays "please wait for the systems to start" but everything worked. I decided to go for a emmc remplacement before it would be too late. This weekend I opened the mcu, and shipped the tegra board to laadkabel in Eindhoven (Neederlands). I put back the mcu in place with the lcd disconnected on order to have the 12V charged, so I can drive the car (with no heating nor ventilation). Duration : ~2 hours, difficulty 2/5 (great help with this video
)

Did anybody here tried to recreate eMMC by copying p1 and p2 partitions from IC?
I am trying to recreate the /var partition from scratch, and I am curious about linux file system permissions (like chown and chmod) and how the system recreates the content itself.

Is it possible that I add the certificate files with correct permissions and all the other items will recreate? Or the system does format on those partitions when it see that something is not correct and certificates will be wiped away?

I am more than sure that /home folder is recreated somehow since I got the MCU running fine. But in the same time I had no cell_apn file there, but I managed to fix it through diagnostic mode. So I am a bit confused about what's happening there actually.

I could take a look inside through shell what's happening there but it seems that the recreation of files did not copy the tokens and I don't want to remove chip for second time.