Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this video shows how to proceed :
At 1min05 we see that they backup the emmc without desoldering it. That is the perfect way to do whithout any risk of burning the hynix emmc.
They wire an emmc programmer to pins which are in contact with the tegra board : 4 wires, maybe 2 for current and 2 for serial data.

Do anyone knows how to do that ?

Wow, if you don't mind me asking, can you please tell us how you do the repair on the road (talking about the eMMC copy / swap, not the actual removal of the unit)? Genuinely interested to know and learn. Thanks.

Well, I have a more complete BGA rework setup in my shop at home, but for a road repair I would pack a hot air rework station, and soldering iron primarily. (And some flux, solder, braid, solder sucker, screwdrivers...). As long as I have a level bench and some power, can do it.

If WK057 isn't doing preemptive repairs, is someone else doing them if your ship it to them?

Several of us in this thread (myself included) can help. Preemptive repairs are usually easier than post-failure repairs as there is a higher chance of being able to migrate your carkeys / MCU commands key to the new emmc (on dead emmcs it is sometimes not possible to recover these).

• Informative
Reactions: TonyT
Anyone in Seattle area who could help me with this issue. My screen went blank couple of days ago. I was able to drive the car back to my home and left it on charge.

Mine is 2015 car with AP1.

I am also looking for replacing the 3G modem with LTE if its doable.

Anyone in Seattle area who could help me with this issue. My screen went blank couple of days ago. I was able to drive the car back to my home and left it on charge.

Taking the dash apart is not that difficult if you take it slow and watch all the videos on this thread. @EVFixme will help with the other, more challenging part.

Reactions: TonyT

Hi Aroop, we can help if you remove the board and send it to us. It's a good time to upgrade to LTE also.

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki and widodh