Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ZMUKS, What difference does it make if you and I agree that Tesla should be using 32 or 8? Even if another 100 here or 500 here pile on our decision/agreed comment. That does not change what Tesla does. I was not trying to make a case for 32 or 8. I was just giving my two cents. And my two cents doesn't change anything.

I do respect your opinion. And I wish they would "fix it".

Makes a big difference for the entire segment of users who have old hardware and thus ruled out for MCUv2 upgrade. Once there is awareness among the early adopters ...then sufficient consumer/PR pressure can be exerted on Tesla to make that small change (32GB)on MCUv1 revisions.

Please find below what I posted at Tesla forum ... short answer is old hardware of 2016 Model S does not give us the option of MCUv2. So we have to live with 8GB for another 4 years or so ... and then pay 1500 pounds again (if we get it done by Tesla) ... My current MCU part number is 1004777-15-K, the replacement MCU part number will be 1098050-00-G (will check if it is refurbished or new ... Will also check if capacity is still 8GB ... Plus certificates ... Plus settings e.g. VPN)

April 15, 2020
I own a 2015 Model S. A few months back MCU started showing signs of impending demise. Found out that MCUv2 upgrade is coming soon. So was hoping that MCU will last that long. But it completely went about 4 weeks ago. Via mobile app got appointment end March - but it magically disappeared ... replaced with 14th April appointment. There was no update provided as to what will happen at the appointment ... so I rang support and they said bring the car at the scheduled appointment and only then we can tell what can be done. Car is at Tesla Service Center and they are proposing "revision" MCU ... (not MCUv2 as 2015 Tesla hardware is not compatible). The only difference is 4G. New screen will be fitted and firmware updated for circa 1500 pounds. But I will be in similar position in a few years when the cheap eMMC flash memory card goes kapoot due to data logging. The information logged is pretty much useless ... it does the customer no good. These logs are also rarely downloaded by Tesla. So it seems grossly unfair that owner has to pay to fix something that is broken due to Tesla data logging. Any views please?

2015 ... not 2016 (typo) ... Also Tesla SC has confirmed it is 1 year warranty without conveying any info about MCU revision being new or refurbished ... Interesting really. Lots of questions when I contact them tomorrow.

Makes a big difference for the entire segment of users who have old hardware and thus ruled out for MCUv2 upgrade. Once there is awareness among the early adopters ...then sufficient consumer/PR pressure can be exerted on Tesla to make that small change (32GB)on MCUv1 revisions.

Are they saying that you can never upgrade to MCU2 or just that you can't yet? (Since their upgrade page says that it will be compatible "soon".)

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
Please find below what I posted at Tesla forum ... short answer is old hardware of 2016 Model S does not give us the option of MCUv2. So we have to live with 8GB for another 4 years or so ... and then pay 1500 pounds again (if we get it done by Tesla) ... My current MCU part number is 1004777-15-K, the replacement MCU part number will be 1098050-00-G (will check if it is refurbished or new ... Will also check if capacity is still 8GB ... Plus certificates ... Plus settings e.g. VPN)

April 15, 2020
I own a 2015 Model S. A few months back MCU started showing signs of impending demise. Found out that MCUv2 upgrade is coming soon. So was hoping that MCU will last that long. But it completely went about 4 weeks ago. Via mobile app got appointment end March - but it magically disappeared ... replaced with 14th April appointment. There was no update provided as to what will happen at the appointment ... so I rang support and they said bring the car at the scheduled appointment and only then we can tell what can be done. Car is at Tesla Service Center and they are proposing "revision" MCU ... (not MCUv2 as 2015 Tesla hardware is not compatible). The only difference is 4G. New screen will be fitted and firmware updated for circa 1500 pounds. But I will be in similar position in a few years when the cheap eMMC flash memory card goes kapoot due to data logging. The information logged is pretty much useless ... it does the customer no good. These logs are also rarely downloaded by Tesla. So it seems grossly unfair that owner has to pay to fix something that is broken due to Tesla data logging. Any views please?

There is a lot less logging now. The replacement chip will last much longer. With the MCU being dead for 4 weeks, I'm not sure the recover ability going 3rd party. Advance recovery is probably still possible but much more expensive. We have found the chips to last about 2-8 years. The newer firmwares should have the chips lasting much longer.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Akikiki
Good morning
My first post, long time lurker. My 2014 P85+ has apparently “bricked”. It is a salvage title, yesterday evening it presented the handles on approach, however all screens remained dark, (off), when I closed the drivers door I was locked out. The mirrors nor door handles have retracted, but I am unable to access the vehicle with the key fob.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Any one in Phoenix Arizona vicinity who repairs, replaces the MCU?

Good morning
My first post, long time lurker. My 2014 P85+ has apparently “bricked”. It is a salvage title, yesterday evening it presented the handles on approach, however all screens remained dark, (off), when I closed the drivers door I was locked out. The mirrors nor door handles have retracted, but I am unable to access the vehicle with the key fob.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Any one in Phoenix Arizona vicinity who repairs, replaces the MCU?

The handle wont retract? The IC should still come on, unless your 12V is dead.

Have you tried to jump start?

We can help with MCU repairs.

Just so everyone knows, I tried to get an MCU2 upgrade for my 2014 ap1 s, right now they are not doing them. Also there is no discount if you buy the refurbished MCU , then upgrade to MCU2. Just shipped my chip off, fingers crossed its a successful repair.

There is a lot less logging now. The replacement chip will last much longer. With the MCU being dead for 4 weeks, I'm not sure the recover ability going 3rd party. Advance recovery is probably still possible but much more expensive. We have found the chips to last about 2-8 years. The newer firmwares should have the chips lasting much longer.

Thank you for the info.

Here is the exchange with S
ZMUKS, read my post #310 and follow the link to the warranty info. Its the exception to the rule, so I would not except the SC folks to always know that info.

Thanks ... Will do so. Thought they have made it clear (after I posed them explicit question) that the MCU revision is re-manufactured rather than new + comes with just 1 year warranty (4 years warranty applies at car level ... rather than parts ... according to them)