Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

• Yes, they should be standard

Votes: 67 55.4%
  • Yes, they should be a no-cost option

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Yes, they should be a for-cost option

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • No, they should not be an option

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a video that explains why. Basically it has to do with the difficulty in matching the colour consistently.

He's kind of like a smooth Monty Python sketch on that.

It's our design.

No, it's our design and and the difficulty in matching colors.

No, it's our design and and the difficulty in matching colors and the low quantities.

No, it's our design and the difficulty in matching colors and the low quantities and the complexity of managing all the parts.

No, it's our design and the difficulty in matching colors and the low quantities and the complexity of managing all the parts, and especially the cost.

So, my take is that it's cost.

Since posting pictures earlier on this thread of the back-of-front-seat storage pockets in Model S' main competitors, I've continued checking out similar photos on the Internet of other premium and luxury sedans. Except for Model S I have yet to uncover a single premium or luxury sedan without back-of-front-seat storage pockets. Even Rolls Royce and Bentley have them. This amazes me.

I had no idea these things were so popular and universal. After this additional research it seems to me that to be as competitive and appealing as possible Tesla would wish to offer back-of-front-seat storage pockets at least as an option when they are able to allocate the resources to do so, particularly since these pockets can be added on and integrated so easily and inexpensively to the car-as-it-is.

Last edited:
BMW 3 series doesn't have them... The seat backs are black plastic like the Model S.

Since posting pictures earlier on this thread of the back-of-front-seat storage pockets in Model S' main competitors, I've continued checking out similar photos on the Internet of other premium and luxury sedans. Except for Model S I have yet to uncover a single premium or luxury sedan without back-of-front-seat storage pockets. Even Rolls Royce and Bentley have them. This amazes me.

I had no idea these things were so popular and universal. After this additional research it seems to me that to be as competitive and appealing as possible Tesla would wish to offer back-of-front-seat storage pockets at least as an option when they are able to allocate the resources to do so, particularly since these pockets can be added on and integrated so easily and inexpensively to the car-as-it-is.

BMW 3 series doesn't have them... The seat backs are black plastic like the Model S.

mnx, Here is a photo of the rear of the new 2013 BMW series 3 which shows that it comes with back-of-front-seat pockets. The backs of the seats are indeed plastic as are those of many other premium sedans but those plastic seat backs have pockets attached, tight mesh with reinforced top.

2013-BMW-3-Series-Touring-Interior-Top-Picture.jpg

ahh, haven't been in a 2013 yet... the previous generation doesn't have it.

those pockets are both ugly and appear useless...

Everyone of course has their own eye for what is attractive. This design, however, is quite useful if you think about it. The indentations in the plastic seat backs on the sides of the pockets allow for beverage containers to fit nicely as well as provide recessed storage areas.

Last edited:
I vote for no cost option, although if they get implemented it's more likely they become standard. Basically ideally they should be there for people who need them and not there for people who don't. Essentially for people who don't have a designated used for them, the back pockets tend to become like trash bins where things get shoved into them that didn't need to stay in the car.

ahh, haven't been in a 2013 yet... the previous generation doesn't have it.

those pockets are both ugly and appear useless...

I can appreciate how one might consider them less than attractive, but I think they look fine, it's part of what most people are used to seeing in cars these days.

IMO, however, they're not useless at all. Great spot for my kids to put their kindle, iPod, a book maybe, etc. when we are all traveling in the car. Much better than leaving them on the seat or floor and potentially being damaged.

Over the past 20 years *all* of my cars have has back-of-the-front-seat pockets, and all I ever put in 'em were those ungainly Thomas Guide map books. Now that they have been replaced by the GPS, I haven't missed them.

That is not to say that I don't have automotive bric-a-brac. A pair of sunglasses, spare napkins, my Blink and Chargepoint cards, a small tin of parking meter change, a tire pressure gauge, a flashlight, a leatherman tool, and a tiny umbrella are about it. They live in the door's side pockets or the glove compartment.

But that's just me. My wife's car and my kid's car has all kinds of debris adrift in and between the seats, on the floor, on the dashboard, hanging from the rear view mirror, and the trunk. Half-melted lipstick, perfume bottle, forbidden cigarettes (!), sunglasses, super-saver cupon book, skateboard, receipts from ATM transactions, change of clothes, half-empty water bottles, and I'm just touching the highlights here.

If I were king at Tesla I would've put in door pockets, a storage shelf or pocket underneath the front seats (suitable for a laptop or 8-1/2 x 11 paperwork), front and rear seat cup holders, and eliminated the back-seat pockets.

-- Ardie
Strange. There's never any loose change in the girls' cars...

mnx, Here is a photo of the rear of the new 2013 BMW series 3 which shows that it comes with back-of-front-seat pockets. The backs of the seats are indeed plastic as are those of many other premium sedans but those plastic seat backs have pockets attached, tight mesh with reinforced top.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8617&d=1344431377&thumb=1.jpg
I know your intent was to show the mesh on the rear of the front seats...

But what really drew my eye was the rear middle seat. More specifically, what's inside it. I want that for my Model S.

Sadly, I don't have any hope at this point that I'll actually get that.

Over the past 20 years *all* of my cars have has back-of-the-front-seat pockets, and all I ever put in 'em were those ungainly Thomas Guide map books. Now that they have been replaced by the GPS, I haven't missed them.

I put my folded-up windshield sun screen (the kind that have the springy hoop inside a fabric cover and fold into a small circle) into the net on the back of my passenger seat in my RAV4-EV. That way I can just reach my hand behind the seat and grab it. In the net on the back of my seat, I keep my sunscreen for when I go hiking or biking or whatnot.

But what really drew my eye was the rear middle seat. More specifically, what's inside it. I want that for my Model S.
The rear "middle seat" in a BMW (or, at least, my BMW 535i) isn't a seat, but an awkward bump in a bench-style arrangement with back support compromised by really being a fold-down console, foot space straddling the transmission tunnel, and your butt sitting on an awkward lump. I would far rather see a choice between a luxurious 2+2 arrangement with a permanent console between the two rear seats, or (as currently offered) a 2+3 arrangement with few compromises to the seating comfort of any position. No one likes to sit in the middle seat on a plane, but it's adding insult to injury to make the seat hard and lumpy!

The rear "middle seat" in a BMW (or, at least, my BMW 535i) isn't a seat, but an awkward bump in a bench-style arrangement with back support compromised by really being a fold-down console, foot space straddling the transmission tunnel, and your butt sitting on an awkward lump. I would far rather see a choice between a luxurious 2+2 arrangement with a permanent console between the two rear seats, or (as currently offered) a 2+3 arrangement with few compromises to the seating comfort of any position. No one likes to sit in the middle seat on a plane, but it's adding insult to injury to make the seat hard and lumpy!

Aaaah, thank you Robert ! Was wondering if I was the only thinking that.
I think the real luxury is to have a real middle seat at the back with real leg room, and no tunnel in the middle.

I think the real luxury is to have a real middle seat at the back with real leg room, and no tunnel in the middle.
In my test drive, we were really happy with "real leg room" for the Model S center back seat. The scooped out back of the console meant the middle passenger (6'3" in my case) still had good leg room. It was a significant + from the test drive experience.

Does anyone think Tesla (or their seat supplier) can't make a rear seat that is functional as it is now, but also has the ability for the middle of the back to fold down with cupholders, etc. when it's not being used for seating?

Here is a pic of the S rear seat to compare to the other pics in this thread.
DSC03770.JPG

Last edited: