TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Consumer Reports" reports Bugs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by K-MTG, Apr 19, 2016.

1. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

#2 DougH, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Yawn. Anyone familiar with Tesla's or buying a first gen product knows this will happen. Heck my iphone 6 is a pos and it's been out for years.

3. rdalcanto

rdalcanto Member

They site complaints on the forums as their source. Awesome....

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. sukhi

sukhi Member

I do not think I would be as dismissive of the report. Improving quality while keeping the innovation pace remains a key challenge for Tesla. For it to be successful it will need to make huge stride as there is a real cost to quality both in terms of the warranty costs as well as expanding the customer base.

Also I would like to differentiate with initial technical challenges with new innovations such FWD, Auto Pilot etc. versus just pure shoddiness in certain instances related to trim quality, alignment, poor paint jobs, can noise etc. There is no reason for those to be considered acceptable.

• Like x 6
  5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed. We've seen first hand the number of issus with the Model X, and while disappointing, it's certainly not surprising. Not sure why we want to suddenly yawn and dismiss it when it's picked up by the media (though I'm sure if it were a glowing piece, CR would be a crowd favorite again).

IMO, they were quite fair in their article.

• Like x 5
  6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

A brand new car from a brand new company has some small issues?! OMG! Stop the presses!

No, when I bought a 2009 Tahoe from a company that had allegedly (when they were not destroying the planet or killing people for profits) been building cars for 100 years has issues... THAT'S a problem.

• Dislike x 2
  7. sukhi

sukhi Member

I do not think that the issue. The real issue is that Tesla continues to have "word than average" initial build quality for its cars including Model S. I would venture to say that among its luxury car peers (BMW. Marc, Porsche), this rating might be even worse.
    As Tesla looks to scale, this is going to be a real issue.

• Like x 4
  8. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Thanks Tesla for the awesome service. Without it, the problems could be much more severe than it is now.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  9. sukhi

sukhi Member

Agreed but the challenge there is scaling it. I can already see hiccups there. Also fixing quality post production is a very expensive route.

• Like x 1
  10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

If anyone has a right to say that, it's you. Lets hope your problems get resolved quickly and you can get the same quality car that I and many others have gotten.

11. Drivin

Drivin Member

It is really great and inspiring that Tesla service can fix problems within 30 days of having the car returned.

This is something all manufacturers should strive to do!

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

They are doing this for the publicity. They are supposed to shut*** until they test a car by themselves , or complete an official survey status on a high volume of customers.

I understand crapy news site do it, but Consumer Report should avoid early comments like this. Thinking about cancelling my subscription

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. ModelXBoy

ModelXBoy No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!

Thank you guys for the support! Today i talked to the district manager, she give me her direct line, promised me to expedite my exchange process. Also letting me drive my original X as my new loaner and return the Model S while waiting for the new X getting built. The original X is still under repair at this time. Regardless this is great news as I will still be driving a Model X while waiting for the replacement. Now i can help more people with questions once the car is back.

• Like x 6
  14. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

#14 Ryan MF, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Today there was a 2.5% drop in the stock on day the market was up.

This equates to about $1B in value lost due to the article citing some people on the forums. The article was reposted broadly across bloomberg and other financial sites.

15. mhan00

mhan00 Member

This is what's scary for the Model 3 and why it needs to be simple. Going above and beyond for a relatively small number of 100k cars is manageable. It's a lot harder to provide that same level of service when you're pumping out five to ten times more cars that cost less than half as much.

• Like x 1
  16. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

Consumer reports have been acting suspiciously. I recall that it made overreaching comments while it withdrew P85D recommendation. It's a car reviewer but made comments like stock analyst questioning Tesla's capability to deliver Model 3. They have repeated that again. It seems like they are grasping at any chance to stay in limelight by talking about Tesla. They could have at least waited till they reviewed the car themselves. If they are going to repeat this behavior, they will loose credibility just like many media outlets have in the matters regarding Tesla.
    Also, this a lesson for Tesla and Elon. They should not give media outlets too much importance. Elon used Consumer reports ratings to praise the car and now Tesla is paying for it. Tesla is an innovative company, it will continuously cause alienation of people as their appetite for innovation is hit. Hence, Tesla shouldn't give importance to opinion's-good or bad.

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. SoccerMan94043

The market was pretty mixed and the NASDAQ was down with the tech sector taking a pretty big hit.

• Like x 1
  18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Karpf had door issues with his Model X. And a software bug froze his console screen until he did a reset.

The problem with anecdotal reports is that they don't necessarily reflect the typical case. Message board posts seldom discuss things that are right, by their nature they are issues that people are looking for help with.

OTOH, I just took my Signature Model X on its maiden voyage from Pennsylvania to Key West and return. Total significant issues since delivery: a charge port door that was acting up, but still functioned. It was a wonderful trip, cost $0 for fuel, and was made very relaxing by Tesla's Autopilot self-driving feature.The charge port door was replaced by the Tesla Service Center when we returned.

My point is that my anecdote is as valid as Michael Karpf's. Some new cars have problems and some don't.

• Like x 1
  19. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

About Tesla | Tesla Motors says they were founded in 2003.

GM's never been known for good consistent reliability across most/all of their product line, despite them being amongst the oldest automakers.

• Like x 2
  20. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Why? They have no right to but other publications do? How about owners? Should they also shut up?

They're not allowed to report on problems/no problems because they don't have test vehicle yet? Who dictates that and on what authority?
    Yep.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1