Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Containment Hold Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a chip/hardware/software expert.

But does anyone worry about this "new chip"? Like ok currently there is a global chip shortage and tesla is using this "new chip" and needs firmware and all that. In 6-12 months if the chip shortage goes away, will tesla go back to using the old chip or continue with the new chip?

Either way will there be a compatibility issue with the new/old chips going forward with future software updates?

I dont want to be in the position where I get a car with this new chip, but a year later telsa goes back to the old chip and I miss out on future software update functionalities. is that possible?
Honestly I wouldn't be too worried. If done right, and the hardware chosen is compatible with the overall system architecture, they're shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

While not perfect, I'd say a reasonable analog would be upgrading your computers CPU. If you do it right, you can swap out your CPU and it'd run all your software, and connect to all your peripherals just fine.

I'd actually be shocked if Teslas never changed their "chips" before now.

But does anyone worry about this "new chip"? Like ok currently there is a global chip shortage and tesla is using this "new chip" and needs firmware and all that. In 6-12 months if the chip shortage goes away, will tesla go back to using the old chip or continue with the new chip?

Either way will there be a compatibility issue with the new/old chips going forward with future software updates?

I dont want to be in the position where I get a car with this new chip, but a year later telsa goes back to the old chip and I miss out on future software update functionalities. is that possible?
Firmware and software should be different for Tesla. As far as future software updates it should only concerning the software. Firmware should only tide with the actual car hardware.

Like the computer software say Windows 10, it's the same software will run on billions of different hardware. The firmware of each computer hardware takes care of how the Windows 10 will run on the computers. You can keep getting your Windows 10 software update as long as your computer hardware is compatible. You will never really worried about the firmware run on the hardware.

I work in consumer electronics so this isn’t the same degree of complexity but we run into chip changes all the time. A chip can be replaced by another on in the same series (ex ti9788a to ti9788b) and they can have the exact same specs but the old firmware for ti9788a may do some wonky things with ti9788b. You test for these things and sometimes chip changes like this can be dual source (something you see more and more today because of the global chip shortages) which means that Tesla could use either chip for future builds.
At the end of the day the consumer is usually unaware of these changes and functionality should be the exact same. I wouldn’t worry too much about it

I work in consumer electronics so this isn’t the same degree of complexity but we run into chip changes all the time. A chip can be replaced by another on in the same series (ex ti9788a to ti9788b) and they can have the exact same specs but the old firmware for ti9788a may do some wonky things with ti9788b. You test for these things and sometimes chip changes like this can be dual source (something you see more and more today because of the global chip shortages) which means that Tesla could use either chip for future builds.
At the end of the day the consumer is usually unaware of these changes and functionality should be the exact same. I wouldn’t worry too much about it
Hoping this is the case! I just recall the last several years of Samsung Galaxy phones where they were using an Exynos processors for international phones and Snapdragon processors for the US with notable discrepancies.

That said, the bigger question is about battery technology that is either around the corner... Or maybe 3 corners! All speculation but raises questions all the same!

I got a text (attached) from my SA that was intended for another buyer on Tuesday morning that seems to confirm the firmware issue...

1621525790281.jpeg

Let’s be serious for a minute and stop speculating about doomsday scenarios. The only part of this that I’m concerned about (yes, still waiting on a VIN), is the fact that if deliveries aren‘t made on time, this will seriously affect Tesla’s stock price, and my bottom line!! The only good that will come of a bottoming out the stock price, is the opportunity to get some more stock at a ‘bargain’ price!!
Totally agree. I'm sticking with TSLA long term so I'm not a day trader, so I don't care about short term price surges. Looking for long term growth. Would like to see price go to $300 to lower my cost basis.

Let’s be serious for a minute and stop speculating about doomsday scenarios. The only part of this that I’m concerned about (yes, still waiting on a VIN), is the fact that if deliveries aren‘t made on time, this will seriously affect Tesla’s stock price, and my bottom line!! The only good that will come of a bottoming out the stock price, is the opportunity to get some more stock at a ‘bargain’ price!!
Yep, Sold some shares till this gets sorted. If reports of deliveries start in June I might buy back in at a discount, but I’m not gonna sit around waiting for the media to get hold of the news that Tesla can’t make any model Y deliveries this quarter and the vehicles are piling up in parking lots

I second this...I think it's more likely software vs. hardware...but honestly, who the heck knows??? 🤷‍♂️
Assuming it is an electronic part -just an assumption- These days it would be a whole module/card/controller. It could be the window opener circuit for all we know, or something easy to pop in behind the frunk. No need for Elon to go around with a soldering iron fishing an ic from a breast pocket and soldering them one by one

There seem to be so many SAs saying that there is a firmware update happening this weekend and then all VINs/vehicles will be released and available. I saw one SA say to keep cash on hand for your downpayment/full payment as the VIN to delivery time may be seriously shortened because a bunch of vehicles are sitting in the lots around the country.

Who knows, maybe we'll find out if it actually was just a firmware update and that these SAs were not lying real soon after this weekend. Would be nice, at this point my Gen 3 HPWC is just taunting me every time I go into my garage.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it is only a firmware update. I can't imagine any part being simple enough to install and then verify correct installation that they'd ship thousands of cars away from the factory and trust the service centers/mobile service to get them ALL upgraded while still servicing all the other actual customers. I guess we'll find out soonTM.

There seem to be so many SAs saying that there is a firmware update happening this weekend and then all VINs/vehicles will be released and available. I saw one SA say to keep cash on hand for your downpayment/full payment as the VIN to delivery time may be seriously shortened because a bunch of vehicles are sitting in the lots around the country.

Who knows, maybe we'll find out if it actually was just a firmware update and that these SAs were not lying real soon after this weekend. Would be nice, at this point my Gen 3 HPWC is just taunting me every time I go into my garage.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that it is only a firmware update. I can't imagine any part being simple enough to install and then verify correct installation that they'd ship thousands of cars away from the factory and trust the service centers/mobile service to get them ALL upgraded while still servicing all the other actual customers. I guess we'll find out soonTM.
Keep in mind, Tesla owns the Service centers... meaning shipping them to and storing them indefinitely waiting for a part costs them practically nothing (compared to renting parking near the factories).

It could be simple, it could be incredibly complex. Regardless, 99% of the car is ready to go, but too risky to release it with whatever the problem is... and could be days, months or quarters... its not a good place to be for a manufacturer regardless.